Jump to content
charlie Jatinder

Weekend Thread (17-19 Sep 21)

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I thought only India watched that.

 

It's big in the UK. 

 

New season is also pretty good. Most of those teen shows flame out after season 2 for me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Weeekend quite as expected, except family movies trucking along a little stronger. Will do a sep % analysis tomorrow, for now some projected totals:

JC 2m wknd, 112.5 cume, 2.8M week, low 120 finish

FG 5M wknd (easily a record), 108.4 cume, 6.8M week… 130 finish?

SC 22 wknd, 177 cume, 32.5 week, ~240 finish depending on how it stands up vs competition

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

You mean Sex Education season 3 right? 

My biggest failure was not saying that in the first place. I still need to start it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently this will be just O/U the best 3rd wknd hold in the mcu (IM1 -37.8%).   
 

It’s a tough target but I would love to beat TROS 4th weekend.

Edited by Legion of the Ten Crores
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

Weeekend quite as expected, except family movies trucking along a little stronger. Will do a sep % analysis tomorrow, for now some projected totals:

JC 2m wknd, 112.5 cume, 2.8M week, low 120 finish

FG 5M wknd (easily a record), 108.4 cume, 6.8M week… 130 finish?

SC 22 wknd, 177 cume, 32.5 week, ~240 finish depending on how it stands up vs competition

Disney is killing with this multiplers.

 

Raya got a 6.43x

Cruella got a 4.05x

JC finishing with 120M will get a 3.42x

FG finishing with 130M will get a 4.58x

SC finishing with +240M will get a 3.2x

 

The only exception will be BW with a tepid 2.28x

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Dear Evan Hansen is probably flopping next week

 

Brilliant news. 

 

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Really wish people who want theaters back and thriving would go see adult dramas like Tammy Faye, Cry Macho or Card Counter in addition to the big comic stuff. Theaters need those, too

 

Dear Evan Hansen is probably flopping next week

I did my part yesterday! Card Counter was a great film, though I was bewildered how the reactions from others when I was leaving consisted of "I don't get it. What was the point of the movie?" The shit wasn't that deep lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

I did my part yesterday! Card Counter was a great film, though I was bewildered how the reactions from others when I was leaving consisted of "I don't get it. What was the point of the movie?" The shit wasn't that deep lol

the theater was nearly empty when I saw it last week and those remaining were reacting the same way 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Really wish people who want theaters back and thriving would go see adult dramas like Tammy Faye, Cry Macho or Card Counter in addition to the big comic stuff. Theaters need those, too

 

Dear Evan Hansen is probably flopping next week

So, I know that people like these movies and like seeing them on the big screen. I’m not hoping for them to go extinct or anything.  
 

But… strictly speaking… do theaters need them? If adult dramas were permanently down like 50% vs pre-pandemic and superhero movies were up like 15% it’s pretty conceivable that theaters would come out ahead financially.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Really wish people who want theaters back and thriving would go see adult dramas like Tammy Faye, Cry Macho or Card Counter in addition to the big comic stuff. Theaters need those, too

 

Dear Evan Hansen is probably flopping next week

At least two of those titles would have the old people going for them if not for the pandemic. Maybe not great numbers, but better numbers regardless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Really wish people who want theaters back and thriving would go see adult dramas like Tammy Faye, Cry Macho or Card Counter in addition to the big comic stuff. Theaters need those, too

 

Dear Evan Hansen is probably flopping next week


It’s tough to justify paying for Crying Macho when it is free on HBOmax.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

But… strictly speaking… do theaters need them? If adult dramas were permanently down like 50% vs pre-pandemic and superhero movies were up like 15% it’s pretty conceivable that theaters would come out ahead financially.

Yeah, theaters do need them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not even one single movie coming close to 10M OW during the entire month except Shang-Chi. What a disaster. We are very far away from any sort of solid marketplace for movie theaters. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, theaters do need them.

Okay, but do you wanna provide any kind of, I dunno — quantitative argument or evidence?

Edited by Legion of the Ten Crores
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CJ Sarandos said:

Not even one single movie coming close to 10M OW during the entire month except Shang-Chi. What a disaster. We are very far away from any sort of solid marketplace for movie theaters. 

DEH will probably be close, could even pass 10M. Rest of this shit wasn’t hitting 10M OW in normalcy anyway (malignant or macho might have with an exclusive model).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Not everyone has HBO MAX

 

And HBO Max isn't free, either.

 

Personally I think we're a bit too quick to lay most/all of the blame for underperformance at HBO Max's feet.  Finding out their actual user base (as opposed to people who could qualify for it due to having HBO via a multi-channel subscription but aren't actually using the HBO Max service) has been a bit difficult though admittedly I haven't tried that hard.

 

Still, I tend to think that while HBO Max is a factor, I do think it's a bit of an overstated one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if “people who pay for a max account of their own watch it on that instead” isn’t the only causal mechanism, it seems pretty clear between Macho Malignant Reminiscence TSS that Max releases are putting a real drag on movies. Some of that may also be account sharing, direct piracy, movies not “feeling like” events, or WB marketing less because the financial equations around marketing are different.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AJG said:

 

It's big in the UK. 

 

New season is also pretty good. Most of those teen shows flame out after season 2 for me.

The show dropped a lot for me after E5. Netflix streched it way too hard. Also being Team Ruby not happy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.