charlie Jatinder

Weekend Thread (17-19 Sep 21)

Beverly Hills cop is funny given the current sensibility around Jan releases. You do have to wonder — why not go two weeks earlier?

Oh, I misunderstood the post — it dominated Dec, Jan, and Feb :ohmygod:

Edited by Legion of the Ten Crores

21 minutes ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

Wow, now that’s some golden trivia!

Do you have something normal like Endgame/TFA as #2 at least or is it old white Oscar bait for a while?

Top 3 (in terms of # of tickets): King’s Speech, Fellowship of the Ring, American Beauty (these data only went back as far as mid-1998 however, the theater has been open for many more decades than that).

In terms of openers, Endgame #1 easily.

5 minutes ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

Beverly Hills cop is funny given the current sensibility around Jan releases. You do have to wonder — why not go two weeks earlier?

Oh, I misunderstood the post — it dominated Dec, Jan, and Feb :ohmygod:

Eddie Murphy's reign in the 1980s, both in movies and television, was truly something incredible. There's a reason Coming 2 America did so well on Amazon and probably would have done solid business in theaters, despite being garbage.

In terms of tickets sold domestically (67.1 million), it sold more than Dead Man's Chest, Incredibles 2, Finding Nemo, The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast remakes, Rogue One, all the Lord of the Rings movies, etc. Mindboggling to think about really.

8 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Eddie Murphy's reign in the 1980s, both in movies and television, was truly something incredible. There's a reason Coming 2 America did so well on Amazon and probably would have done solid business in theaters, despite being garbage.

In terms of tickets sold domestically (67.1 million), it sold more than Dead Man's Chest, Incredibles 2, Finding Nemo, The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast remakes, Rogue One, all the Lord of the Rings movies, etc. Mindboggling to think about really.

Imagine what Dolemite is my Name could've done theatrically. Probably would've gotten Eddie the Oscar nom.

1 minute ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

I was a lot more excited by the 90s and 00s movies before I noticed this part 😛 

I mean, their lead on movies like Endgame tickets wise is pretty significant (30% higher).

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Imagine what Dolemite is my Name could've done theatrically. Probably would've gotten Eddie the Oscar nom.

Would a 60M gross really do that much to stop Joaquamole Phoenix? Especially because he was in the most talked-about movie that fall?

4 hours ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

Okay, but do you wanna provide any kind of, I dunno — quantitative argument or evidence?

It's anecdotal of course but in a lot of smaller theaters i imagine the weekday morning numbers for those movies are pretty comparable to ticket sales of Super hero movies for the same time. Reason being the older crowd typically makes up a decent chunk of the week day morning population while families and what not are generally at home. Mind you at least for Disney the older crowd would still probably come out because well.... it's Disney at minimum you'll leave feeling like you didn't waste your money.

15 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Would a 60M gross really do that much to stop Joaquamole Phoenix? Especially because he was in the most talked-about movie that fall?

he probably would've beaten Pryce so... you decide what would've been worth it more :ph34r: 

10 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

It's anecdotal of course but in a lot of smaller theaters i imagine the weekday morning numbers for those movies are pretty comparable to ticket sales of Super hero movies for the same time. Reason being the older crowd typically makes up a decent chunk of the week day morning population while families and what not are generally at home. Mind you at least for Disney the older crowd would still probably come out because well.... it's Disney at minimum you'll leave feeling like you didn't waste your money.

Sure, but I mean, theaters don’t actually need any business on weekdays mornings. Overall ticket and concession sales is the important stat, not when those sales are occurring.   

5 hours ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Yeah, looking up the numbers for films that just aren't even on the radar today like Golden Child is bonkers.

Although I don't think anything can beat Crocodile Dundee for almost-impossible-to-communicate-to-young-people-how-big-this-film-was ness. 

6 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Eh, that's not how the Oscars always work. If they don't like you, they don't like you. He burned some bridges. Adam Sandler didn't, but he hasn't been taken seriously, and AMPAS didn't rush to nominate him for his serious work despite delivering A24's biggest hit to date (Uncut Gems made 50M dom) and picking up some major awards (NBR). 

Also, Murphy's movie was Netflix and they were juggling and number of contenders that had better shot in all categories than his movie. Marriage Story, The Irishman, just a name 2 that made it. Internal competition is a bigger hurdle to a nomination than boxoffice.

Remember, Director's Branch snubbed a number of actors-directors who hit every precursor - Cooper, Affleck - and Murphy only hit Globes Comedy. Even SAG, which was most likely to get him in, bailed out on him. So it's really down to like/dislike and how studio prioritizes its contenders.

Edited by Valonqar

Went back to theaters yesterday for the first time in 18 months and saw Shang-Chi, and I really was surprised on how much I loved it. It’s like number 6, close to number 5 MCU for me. Tony Leung naturally stole the show. It also made me truly excited about the MCU again which I haven’t really felt in years.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I think Taron Egerton was #6 that year, he was nominated at SAG, BAFTA and won GG comedy/musical against Eddie.