Eric Duncan

73rd Primetime Emmy Awards Discussion Thread

emmys-generic-2021-1170x780-1.jpg?w=681&

It's almost TV's time to shine with the most prestigious event for long-form television productions. And as the lines between movies and TV blur, there's a lot to get excited for. Will Papa Feige take home the gold? Will Queen Anya get her deserved trophy? Will the ruse of Ted Lasso being an actual show that exists continue? So many questions that will all be answered tonight, courtesy of the one and only Cedric the Entertainer.

As always, follow some of the basic golden rules here. Be nice, be respectful towards your fellow BOT posters, don't be a dick. Have fun!

didn't realize these were on. just googled the nominees so i can give my takes on the shows i've seen.

drama series

The Boys - good probably should win but won't

The Mandalorian - enjoyable but idk about best tv. even at it's high points it feels like a fan film with a larger budget

Lovecraft Country - some good standalone eps but also kinda bullshit. terrible ending. hope MKW wins though.

The Crown i watched 3 episodes of the first season and dropped it because boring as hell and peter morgan sucks bro find a new subject. handmaid's tale i dropped after the end of the second season when she didn't leave. annoying

comedy series only watched ted lasso which is one of those sitcoms that would rather be nice than funny. i've been thinking of starting cobra kai since i did rewatch the first two karate kids recently. and PEN15 looks like something i might enjoy

limited series

Mare of Easttown - Great. loved this. Probably my favourite Kate Winslet performance.

Queen's Gambit - Liked this a lot too but probably just could have been a movie. but it wouldn't have been a hit as a movie so i get it.

Underground Railroad - The first three and last three episodes are absolutely fantastic some of jenkins' best stuff and it's a total fucking slog in the middle. 

wandavision - Watched 3 episodes of this kinda cringe and i heard it ended badly so meh

I May Destroy You - watched like 7 or 8 of these and I thought it was pretty good if a little overhyped just kinda fell off it and have been meaning to get back at it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

comedy series only watched ted lasso which is one of those sitcoms that would rather be nice than funny. i've been thinking of starting cobra kai since i did rewatch the first two karate kids recently. and PEN15 looks like something i might enjoy

PEN15's very good imo

I wonder how jealous Ryan Murphy is at the moment now that the Dahmer series with Evan Peters he has on the horizon has zero chance of giving him the "I also turned Peters into an Emmy-winning actor" bragging rights that he was certainly aiming for when he gave it the green light. Really happy for Peters though, he was excellent in Mare.

Even more overjoyed with Julianne Nicholson's win. She's always been an underrated fave so happy that she's finally getting the recognition she deserves.

Edited by filmlover

1 hour ago, CJ Sarandos said:

Streaming wins is the key takeaway from this show.

I'm wondering how much longer the Emmys stay on broadcast tv considering that they don't award broadcast tv shows at all.

Once Last Week Tonight and RuPaul started winning, the 2 categories which broadcast tv won were taken by cable or streaming

Hacks was one of the last shows I caught up on over the past month as I've been binging almost everything in time for the ceremony so thrilled to see Jean Smart joining the 4 Time Winner club. Honestly if the right Oscar vehicle ever comes her way she would totally steamroll through the entire awards season Allison Janney style.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Hacks was one of the last shows I caught up on over the past month as I've been binging almost everything in time for the ceremony so thrilled to see Jean Smart joining the 4 Time Winner club. Honestly if the right Oscar vehicle ever comes her way she would totally steamroll through the entire awards season Allison Janney style.

She's in Babylon

YESSSS to Winselt. Love Anya but Mare might actually be the best performance of Winslet's career (and that's saying a lot).

Ewan winning for that Murphy turd lol. FWIW I watched it a few weeks ago and he is pretty great in it, plus he had no real competition in that category (similar to Mark Ruffalo's win last year). Too bad the show itself took such a simplistic surface level approach to Halston's life.

Looks like they liked WandaVision enough to nominate it for a bunch of stuff but not enough for it to really win anything above the line. @Plain Old Tele can rest easy about the state of the industry.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1