Gavin Feng

Weekend Thread: Dear Evan Hansen $800K THU Previews

4 hours ago, CJ Sarandos said:

2.5M actual Friday for DEH. 3.3M - 2.6M - 1.8M. I am probably being optimistic, so under 8M OW is a certain thing. Fucking trash flop lmao. I still don't understand how anyone expected 10M+ for this. Hell, in the beginning of September I saw some people mentioning 20M. Did people look at the trailers and stills? Did people forget the pandemic? Did people forget the change of habits and that less and less people go to theaters to watch movies?

Hey, not all of us were on any bandwagon for this movie:)...I'm still mystified that this got made with the cast it had...and that it got a full theatrical release when, with everything that's gone before, it could have been an easy sell off/dump...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

People on twitter will be "trashing its star". The rest of the world won't care/doesn't know about the issue

The reviews for WSS are already written and they will be all about the lead actor, they will be negative and they won't mention the quality of the movie itself.

38 minutes ago, CJ Sarandos said:

Last Night in Soho is another movie everyone will act extremely shocked when it opens with 8-10M.

It does feel like Scott Pilgrim 2.0 just in a much smaller scale.

im curious to see how people react to it post-Malignant 

45 minutes ago, riveredge said:

October is coming. We have a lot of potential BO movies like No Time to Die, Halloween Kills and Dune. 

What's the projection for Edgar Wright's Last Night in Soho? The movie will open on October 29, one week after Dune and before The Eternals. Anyone? 

The way Dune is doing OS, a no-Max American release will be a great What If? Topic around these parts.

4 hours ago, CJ Sarandos said:

Last Night in Soho is another movie everyone will act extremely shocked when it opens with 8-10M.

Not gonna lie: given the feast or famine nature of COVID era box office and how unconventional Last Night in Soho looks, I’d honestly be surprised if it even got that high.

But then again, I was pleasantly surprised when Baby Driver opened well and grossed over $100 million, so I’m hoping that I’m once again underestimating the mainstream’s taste for Edgar Wright.

8 hours ago, RRA said:

It does feel like Scott Pilgrim 2.0 just in a much smaller scale.

im curious to see how people react to it post-Malignant 

Agree to a degree. I think Scott Pilgrim's biggest issue - as with the recent TSS - was that its creators (and its critics) didn't notice how narrow the film's target demo was because everyone involved, plus both online and print critics, nearly all fell in that group as it's the most visible and vocal demo. The marketing got blamed, but I don't think that was fair. The film just had a ceiling.

That wasn't the same for Baby Driver which had universal appeal.

Last Night in Soho doesn't have the same roadblock as Scott Pilgrim when it comes to character (ie. If you don't inherently identify with the central character then they just come across as annoying and engaging in toxic behaviour - a scenario ironically similar to Dear Evan Hansen) BUT otherwise I think it has the same main issue of there simply being an inherent ceiling to what the film as marketed can do. Blame modern audiences for being milquetoast, or obsessed with IPs - and that's all true - but it be what it be.

Bad Times at the El Royale as discussed above is, I think, a good comparison. Good movie. If anything, a more impressive cast, but a less-known director. Overtly stylised. Comes across as a too-cool-for-school-thinkpiece. I love it but I'm not the general audience. Never really stood a chance.

Would be interesting to be proven wrong, though.

Apparently I was wrong and people have their expectations set correctly for Soho. It will definitly be a very low opener. That 20M OW number I saw floating around was probably by @WrathOfHan that crazy lunatic kid. He was also mentioning 20M for DEH early in September. Nuts!

Spoiler

Jk I love you, come here my friend.

milk-and-mocha-hug.gif

• Sad 1

Another dry weekend with the only new notable release being a movie no one ever asked for, starring a sociopath who they want you to root for for some reason.

Thankfully, next weekend should be a busy one for multiplexes across the world. The US will enjoy Venom 2 while the rest of the world goes to see Bond 25.

• Like 1

Worth noting Paw Patrol has gone over $100m worldwide and is now at around x4 its budget.

Probably excites not many folks on here, but I know it was 100% on the radar of my parent-of-toddler friends. A reliable brand has been well built up there and the mums, dads and kids showed up very reliably.

Here in the UK its going to finish close to both Cruella and Croods. Done great in France and Germany too.

• Like 1

I’m kind of curious on how Encanto does box office wise. Barring Spirit Untamed and Peter Rabbit 2, it’s the first major family film with a purely theatrical release (my gut says Disney will dump Ron) and part of a big brand.