Gavin Feng

Weekend Thread: Dear Evan Hansen $800K THU Previews

I watched Foundation this week and it is kind of insane how there is now no difference visually between a big theatrical release and a random TV show. 

That only helps further on making go to theaters less special.

I just want to know how Ben Platt is handling these numbers. Ever since the trailer was released to backlash he and the filmmakers have been in the media saying "it was either Ben or the movie wouldn't have been made at all" (even though plenty of actors have succeeded him as the character on stage lmao) as a defense for the vanity project vibe of the whole thing so it must be bruising to discover that no one actually cares about him. 

• Like 1

Candy will fulfill my prophecy on OW that it will make 60-65M. Settling in the middle looks very likely. Very proud of myself for upping the prediction when most people predicted 50-55M and 60M tops, not above. :)

Why is SC OS lagging behind dom? Don't say China. It must be low somewhere, perhaps in Europe?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

How it's bigger than expected when this thread was expecting 13 and the trades 12?

Because it’s bigger than I expected?

I wasn’t expecting its 4th weekend drop to be bigger than its 3rd with continued zero completion, that’s all. That’s why I asked if it lost its PLF’s. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Why is SC OS lagging behind dom? Don't say China. It must be low somewhere, perhaps in Europe?

I think I'm right in saying its release has been late in 4 of the bigger East Asian markets: Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia. Certainly it's only just dropped in Indonesia. Those 4 markets are usually good for 40-50m for MCU films.

Hasn't done particularly well in South Korea. Has done pretty well in HK and Singapore by standards of pandemic (ie. quite a bit better than Widow), but those nations are well below normal still.

It's doing about the same as Black Widow in North Western Europe: UK, Fra, Ger, Scandi but last time I checked was doing quite a bit worse in Meditteranean Europe. Don't think it's doing as well in Central or East Europe either.

Finally, the Australian box office is super depressed right now. It has opened, but it's very location-dependent.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose