Gavin Feng

Weekend Thread: Dear Evan Hansen $800K THU Previews

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Candy will fulfill my prophecy on OW that it will make 60-65M. Settling in the middle looks very likely. Very proud of myself for upping the prediction when most people predicted 50-55M and 60M tops, not above. :)

Why is SC OS lagging behind dom? Don't say China. It must be low somewhere, perhaps in Europe?

shang chi os was always laggin behind , and thats bc the markets that are the strongest for the mcu (asia and latin america arent in an ideal shape) the good news though is that it has GREAT legs , again its ow week was 56 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CJ Sarandos said:

I watched Foundation this week and it is kind of insane how there is now no difference visually between a big theatrical release and a random TV show. 

That only helps further on making go to theaters less special.

It's crazy to think about how fast Hollywood turned TV into full blown CG event's. It was only 5 years ago that Marvel wouldn't let Jessica Jones fly because it was too expensive. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, john2000 said:

shang chi os was always laggin behind , and thats bc the markets that are the strongest for the mcu (asia and latin america arent in an ideal shape) the good news though is that it has GREAT legs , again its ow week was 56 

I see. I figured it had something to do with distribution of covid-19. Yes legs are outstanding on both sides. Dead month helped a lot but I think it would have held well even if it was busier. 

31 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Why is SC OS lagging behind dom? Don't say China. It must be low somewhere, perhaps in Europe?

AUS missing 70% market. SEA which is worth $40M+ for MCU is missing. Korea is half of its potential. India missing $4M or so. China missing. 

INT numbers are from roughly less than half of MCU market. Right now Europe is best performing region which isn't too hot on CBM, that too a low tier hero. The legs are pretty good everywhere though.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vafrow said:

In its first four weeks of release, the biggest new releases Shang Chi has had for competition are Malginant ($5.4M), Cry Macho ($4.4M) and now DEH at $7.5M.

Theaters are back baby :hahaha:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

AUS missing 70% market. SEA which is worth $40M+ for MCU is missing. Korea is half of its potential. India missing $4M or so. China missing. 

INT numbers are from roughly less than half of MCU market. Right now Europe is best performing region which isn't too hot on CBM, that too a low tier hero. The legs are pretty good everywhere though.

Thanks for detailed breakdown!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, vafrow said:

In its first four weeks of release, the biggest new releases Shang Chi has had for competition are Malginant ($5.4M), Cry Macho ($4.4M) and now DEH at $7.5M.

Top 20 (not even Top 10) DOM was under $37M this weekend...yeah, October better be on fire, or theaters might start limiting showings and availability even more...

Good news is that next weekend should see a $100M Top 10 again (I hope)...as should the following weekend even if Bond disappoints some on here...of course, then we'll see where the rest of the month goes...

5 hours ago, CJ Sarandos said:

Apparently I was wrong and people have their expectations set correctly for Soho. It will definitly be a very low opener. That 20M OW number I saw floating around was probably by @WrathOfHan that crazy lunatic kid. He was also mentioning 20M for DEH early in September. Nuts!

Hide contents

Jk I love you, come here my friend.

milk-and-mocha-hug.gif

:sparta: 

19 minutes ago, John Marston said:

MV5BZjNlMTQ1MzQtMjNjNS00MWY4LTgxZTgtM2M5

35 years ago today this Australian movie opened and somehow dominated in the US. Would be around 400m or more adjusted for inflation

One of the greatest Box office performances of all time. Possibly even the greatest. 

Outgrossed Platoon, Aliens, Ferris Bueller, Rambo First Blood p2, Beverly Hills Cop 2, Three Men and A Baby and Lethal Weapon in terms of film released a year either side of it. Would have been the highest grossing film of the year if it had been released in either the following 2 years, as it was it was second to Top Gun. In fact after its release in 1986, the only two films that would outgross it during the rest of the 80s in the US would be Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Batman. Crazy.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1

The box office recovery certainly isn't holistic. 3-weeks we are in this quiet market yet none of the new releases managed to surprise, which is very different from the pre-covid era where low tide season normally produce some mid-mini surprise hit.

Also, I can't understand the hesitation going back to cinema among vaccinated. With weekend box office trending consistently below 100m, I can safely assume that the cinema hall is probably emptier than a lot of venues out there.  

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I just want to know how Ben Platt is handling these numbers. Ever since the trailer was released to backlash he and the filmmakers have been in the media saying "it was either Ben or the movie wouldn't have been made at all" (even though plenty of actors have succeeded him as the character on stage lmao) as a defense for the vanity project vibe of the whole thing so it must be bruising to discover that no one actually cares about him. 

I’m sure he’ll be fine as he cries into his daddy’s money

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

The box office recovery certainly isn't holistic. 3-weeks we are in this quiet market yet none of the new releases managed to surprise, which is very different from the pre-covid era where low tide season normally produce some mid-mini surprise hit.

Also, I can't understand the hesitation going back to cinema among vaccinated. With weekend box office trending consistently below 100m, I can safely assume that the cinema hall is probably emptier than a lot of venues out there.  

there is just not enough product worth seeing

Edited by john2000

1 hour ago, john2000 said:

there is just not enough product worth seeing

There are only two rotten films in the top 10. The rest (apart from Jungle Cruise) are certified fresh. 

Hopefully October really kicks into high gear. It’ll be crap if all 4 disappoint.