Eric Atreides

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

WE

a01ad85aeaab6530796b24fa79fdf9de.gif

ARE

54be0e489839c8e832e53f8c5b849a00.gif

VENOM

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Remember October 2018? A much simpler time in life, when a Saudi journalist was murdered, the Democrats were delivered pipe bombs, Jair Bolsonaro becomes Brazil’s president, and Roseanne returns Roseanne-less after she destroyed her career from a racist tweet...okay, maybe it wasn’t actually a simpler time.

However, when it comes to the only thing that truly matters in life, October 2018 was an incredible, immaculate, jaw-dropping month. Helped by one record opening that changed things forever. An opening that was a juggernaut for its genre, boosted the career of its lead actor, became a top priority franchises for Sony, and made October a hot destination for movies for the first time ever.

Venom was initially mocked by folks the second it came out. Sony has attempted to get a Venom movie off the ground for ages. They’re seriously trying to create a shared universe out of this? Didn’t Amazing Spider-Man 2 make them suffer enough by that point? This was gonna tank.

Yet with an incredible marketing campaign, Marvel/superhero fervor the highest it’s ever been, and some kinky tongue action from the sexy symbiote monstrosity, Venom was an absolute smash. It leapfrogged Gravity’s record by almost 45%, became an even bigger smash success in China, and eclipsed the $850 million mark worldwide, a gross that nobody could predict back when it was first announced in March 2016. It turned Tom Hardy into a movie star overnight and would kickstart the proposed Sony’s Spider-Man Universe to an impressive debut, showing that Marvel movies don’t need Papa Feige’s blessings to make money.

Fast forward three years and one plague later, Venom has returned, this time bringing along a lot of Carnage. The film promises to up the ante, with an epic brawl against Woody Harrellson, a lot of gayness between Eddie and Venom, and reviews citing this as a surprisingly fun time. Presales already indicate the film will be a juggernaut on its opening weekend. Alongside The Addams Family 2 and The Many Saints of Newark opening this weekend, Palme D'Or winner Titane launching in America, and the anticipated No Time to Die launching this weekend overseas, this is set to be an amazing start for a potentially rich and plentiful October and beyond.

But before we get into this exciting weekend properly, let’s quickly talk about what we expect from you, the posters.

1. ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS. NOT EVEN SPOILERS POSTED UNDER SPOILER TAGS. This rule is applied to all weekend threads, but it's especially true for this weekend. Venom 2 is one of the most anticipated films of the year and promises to be a major turning point for the Sony Marvel Universe. And sadly, because this pandemic is still a bitch and a half, not everybody will have a chance to see it right away. So please be careful about what you say.

This also applies to other movies in theaters and films/shows recently releasing on streaming. So no Addams Family spoilers, no Many Saints spoilers, no Dear Evan Hansen spoilers, no Squid Game spoilers, etc. You are free to give general opinions, but try to avoid going into any further detail. If you do spoil something here, you will be banned. No exceptions. Don't be a dick.

2. KEEP YOUR AGENDA OUT OF HERE. We get it. Movie theaters are dead forever. Streaming is a disease. Woke critics don't understand real movies. Marvel is the greatest film series ever created. Disney/Marvel is destroying cinema and Kevin Feige/Bob Chapek/Kathleen Kennedy is the spawn of Satan. James Cameron is the true king of the box office. Yadda yadda yadda. 

There's a time and place for these kinds of statements...actually, there isn't. But at the very least, it doesn't belong here. If you want to start these beefs related to all of these dumb children's movies, go somewhere else. If you do this kind of stuff here, you will be banned. No exceptions. Don't be a dick.

3. THE REPORT AND IGNORE BUTTONS ARE YOUR FRIENDS. See a post that’s breaking the rules? DO NOT RESPOND TO IT. Just hit the Report button, give an explanation to the problem, including the context, then hit "Submit". We the mods will determine the post and see if it's breaking the rules and give out repercussions. See a poster that's consistently annoying? Then just highlight their name and click "Ignore User" on the pop-up. It'll save lives and hopefully cause less of an uproar or infighting. While trolls are already bad, responding to them only makes it worse. So again...Don't be a dick.

4. IS OFF-TOPIC DISCUSSION OKAY? Well...yes and no. We want people to stick to box office numbers as best as they can. However, there are plenty of dead periods of time with no new numbers. So off-topic discussions are okay to have at these times, so long as they don't impede numbers discussion. So if there's no action, and you want to talk about what Bill Hader's been up to, rant about how Jared Leto keeps getting work, or talk about your favorite Super Smash Bros. character, that's totally fine. Just remember that when the numbers come up to keep those discussions down to a minimum. Keep on doing that, and it becomes a chore for many who just want to know the numbers. Don't. Be. A. Dick.

And lastly...

6. DON'T BE A DICK. Sometimes things get hostile among users. Whatever the reason may be, if you're not following any of these rules or are straight up not being nice, you're going to get the banhammer smashed onto you. Concern trolling? Banned. Revealing that Carnage kills Dumbledore? Banned. Just posting something unpleasant or mean? Banned. And if you're unsure if you can handle being nice for one weekend, then, simply put, get out of here. You probably know what I'm gonna say next.

TL;DR No spoilers, no fanboy wars. Keep it nice, keep it neutral, don't attack others, and you'll be fine. If you don't do this stuff, you'll risk a threadban, a suspension, or even a permanent ban, so tread lightly. Outside of that, just have fun! 

And two last things,

First off, this thread will likely lean into being more domestic-focused. If you want to know about how Venom is doing in other countries, look at the International section of the forums here. We also have a thread dedicated to Venom here.

Second, there's no sale this weekend. However, while we understand finances are tight for many here, we do encourage people to donate and become premium members if they can. Every dollar helps keep the lights on and with Bond, Halloween, Dune, Eternals, Ghostbusters, Spider-Man, Matrix, and Clifford all around the corner, these donations will only help make the forum bigger and better than ever.

And now...

WITHOUT FURTHER ADO

eminem-hey.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

LET’S DO THIS SHIT

venom-truck.gif

• Like 6

Venom is gonna do to this weekend's openers what Spidey's gonna do to all the Christmas movies in two months...

And after this weekend, do we have to consider that Sony might have the most appealing general audience supers material right now...and they might have the top 2 2021 DOM movies by the end of their runs:)?

I guess we'll see as Venom 2 continues to soar this weekend:)...but I'm pretty excited for this one (so much, I've got tickets for Saturday to join in on the fun:)...

Quick x-post from the Tracking thread

4 minutes ago, Eric Soprano said:

Venom: Let There Be Carnage Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report Final Count

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 139 5238 25956

20.18%

Total Seats Sold Today: 2,259

Comp

1.155x of F9 (8.2M)

0.690x of Black Widow (9.11M)

2.576x of The Suicide Squad (10.56M)

1.102x of Shang-Chi (9.70M)

Not as big a jump as other people's, but still really, really, really impressive stuff.

Long story short, while mine is a touch underwhelming, it's still set to do boffo numbers, especially looking at other people's trackings.

20 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Maybe there’s a shot it beats Shang-Chi and No Time to Die, but no way it beats Eternals imo.

I dunno...everyone said GvK could have been huge DOM with different timing...especially with its WW performance...

I see Venom 2 as the supers version of GvK with the added bonus of being "Spooky Monster comedy" for the whole month of October...it could put down quite a number for Eternals to beat...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Ready for Tom Hardy to take his place as one of the biggest box office draws on Earth. Been a fanboy since 2008, hence the avatar! Let's go!!!

I watched Bronson for the first time last night and Hardy is such a blast. 

• Like 3

I agree with Keyser that V2 is looking around 90, which makes it competitive for top 2 DOM OWs. But top 2 total will be a much taller task with the competition it's facing, and even the first one did not have amazing legs. I'm still not thinking it beats SC total domestically though it will be fairly close.

16 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I see Venom 2 as the supers version of GvK with the added bonus of being "Spooky Monster comedy" for the whole month of October...it could put down quite a number for Eternals to beat...

Venom 2 has to have impossible legs for that to happen. If 90M OW happens and it matches the first movie’s legs, it’s still “only” 240M. I guess it really depends what your expectations for Eternals is because I think it’ll clear that with plenty of breathing room.

Venom_1.gif

You say 10m previews

I say 12m previews

10m previews, 12m previews

12m previews, 10m previews

Let's call the whole thing off

yummy

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 7

30 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Ready for Tom Hardy to take his place as one of the biggest box office draws on Earth. Been a fanboy since 2008, hence the avatar! Let's go!!!

I really think Tom Hardy has serious draw power. I wish he would take more kinds of movies that aren't weird and niche so he could prove it (Other than Venom)

He also just doesn't act that much anymore so there's that

Edited by Pinacolada

42 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I dunno...everyone said GvK could have been huge DOM with different timing...especially with its WW performance...

GvK would have been bigger than any movie released so far this year with an October/November release, imo. Its trailer was second only to NWH in hype. I think it could have done 120 OW.