Eric Atreides

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

3 minutes ago, Eric Soprano said:

Well, we have something to talk about. There's also numbers from the holdovers, Addams, and Newark to chew on.

I guess they would have less incentive to undershoot the smaller films and holdovers, but those seem to be in the expected range. The V2 number was the headliner and they gave an absolute joke of a prediction. But you have a point though, Deadline Classics are always fun. 

Based on my local area, Venom would be looking at 22M true Friday. This is super early though, since I’m on the west coast, and walk ups (or lack thereof) could throw this all outta whack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Deadline is just spazzy cuz their studio overlords are scared about the strike authorization vote. :ph34r:

Hopefully they strike and the studios concede to better working conditions shortly after and sort a deal (would seem like that would be the best for almost everyone)

If it extends too long I'm worried the studios will just shift even more production out of the US (and Canada) and might backfire  which would be disappointing for all the crew there. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Apparently people liked the first Venom a hell of a lot more than they liked the first Suicide Squad.

One of those is actually a fun and entertaining movie. The other isn't.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I will be the first to admit that the love for Venom is weird to me, plot is a bit crap and it's not something awesome by any means BUT it's very fun to watch. Like turn your brain off, laugh a bit and just enjoyable. Similar to Aquaman.

I mean what the hell I'm excited for the sequel and I wasn't even excited for the first one!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamiem said:

Hopefully they strike and the studios concede to better working conditions shortly after and sort a deal (would seem like that would be the best for almost everyone)

If it extends too long I'm worried the studios will just shift even more production out of the US (and Canada) and might backfire  which would be disappointing for all the crew there. 

Totally with ya — if it does come to a strike the studios will be somewhat limited in terms of moving things overseas: for one, there’s too many productions, so there’d be a backlog; for another, some international crews are members of the striking locals. One example: John Seales, British cinematographer extraordinaire (English Patient, Fury Road, etc) is a member of IATSE Local 600, the cinematographer’s guild. Productions could try and replace all these positions with regionally local, non-union crews but I don’t think they’d be able to completely replace everyone. 

So…. It’ll be a mess. Let’s hope the AMPTP come to their senses. 

• Like 2