Eric Duncan

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

13 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I can't believe it, but $37m.  

Yeah, you can - young, diverse, male audience for the win...that's also a late business bonanza...

We still have those demos powering the box office this year...the only question for the fall is if we get more breadth and depth across other demos...

Edited by TwoMisfits

5 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Have you seen the rumored runtime for Eternals?

2h 36 minutes. just the length i like. also likely a MUCH better RT score than this turd from Sony.

Whats sony's strike rate last 15 years? maybe 50-60%? turd rate is nearly 50%. ..

Whats MCU's strike rate last 15 years? maybe 85%? (black widow as a turd , iron man 2, incredible hulk 08, falcon and winter soldier 2021 for example). turd rate only 15%. and some incredible ones there, probably What if? and loki are the best i've EVER seen.

Edited by Halba
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Valonqar said:

I hope 37M sticks though official estimate is more likely going to be 36.something rather than 37 or 37.something. It's always like that. But fingers crossed. 

estimates put venom let there be carnage at 36,99 mill , including previews 👀

2 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I don't understand what the business argument for the Many Saints of Newark is. Does it have an ultra-low budget or something?

We're talking a completely fresh faced lead actor with no track record, great supporting actors but not with massive profiles, a TV writer, a property that hasn't been mainstream for 15 years and a genre that couldn't possibly be more out of the zeitgeist right now.

None of which isn't to say it might not be a great film - given the talent involved it could well be - and of course there is a loyal following of sorts which will bring in some business but it does seem a strange project at an odd time (even pre-covid).

Great news seemingly for Venom. Not my thing, but looks like they've judged the 90 minute pure adrenalin popcorn rush just right. Legs will be very interesting - intuition says it will struggle to sustain anything given incoming competition and that it's core demo will have rushed out, but it may be that people are just lining up for a release right now.

It’s still a prequel to the widely regarded greatest television series ever made. There’s a huge audience for it. A theatrical audience without HBO Max and a pandemic? Definitely. 

Yet it’ll have a long life by association, and reignite interest from those who have never seen the show, which,…is on HBO Max!  It’s a more sensible green light of a movie than some other movies WB have spent a ton of money on imo. 

without the pandemic and HBO it would have definitely done $20 million OW and decent legs. 

Also great for Venom 2, damn great chance it hits $90m OW. I think if it does that it’s probably going to be the biggest opening of the pandemic besides NWH. If it weren’t for the fact, I have two big exams Next Friday, I’d be seeing it now. I liked the first Venom and am glad to see Carnage doing well box office carnage. Should prove box office is back and kicking and with a handful of stuff that should do well in between like Bond and Eternals and some gargantuan stuff during the holidays maybe stuff will get more or less back to normal.

How’s Addams 2 looking at? I’m curious to see if an animation this year can do over $100m and while it’s likely we won’t see that til Encanto I’m still curious.

3 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

Well, one of them got a sequel. TSS was basically a reboot. Venom just leaned into it. Maybe WB should have embraced SS success instead of throwing it away. 

I feel unlike SS1, Venom actually had an audience that liked the film despite reviews, as well as a shorter timeframe from film 1 to 2. Even if we got a sequel similar to the original, it’d probably still have a large drop.

• Like 4

Well… 

I swore an oath 

On 9/30/2021 at 4:37 PM, Let there be Legion said:

As I told @charlie Jatinder last night 

If V2 outopens BW it’s officially an MCU movie 🙃

And I must see it through.   

Woo, go venom!!! Be the 3rd MCU movie in a row to set a new post-pandemic DOM record! Nab that biggest Saturday, so we have biggest Fri, Sat, and Sun each repped by a different one of the 3 marvel openers so far this year!   

…I guess I have to actually go see this movie now though 😕   

Only scene I remember liking from V1 is She-Venom, so here’s hoping for more of that I guess.

• Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Let there be Legion said:

Damn, a new record for real.    

Reveal hidden contents

Might have to wait for Spidey to beat that BW record. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

It’s still a prequel to the widely regarded greatest television series ever made. There’s a huge audience for it. A theatrical audience without HBO Max and a pandemic? Definitely. 

Yet it’ll have a long life by association, and reignite interest from those who have never seen the show, which,…is on HBO Max!  It’s a more sensible green light of a movie than some other movies WB have spent a ton of money on imo. 

without the pandemic and HBO it would have definitely done $20 million OW and decent legs. 

I don't think that first point necessarily follows. You can frame any of Citizen Kane, Casablanca or Gone with the Wind as a 'widely regarded greatest film ever made' but I don't know a 2021 sequel to any would make any money. It isn't perceived as the greatest (etc) outside of the US so would be relying almost entirely on Dom and the status is based on contemporaneous US TV critics, not fandom-size. I have no doubt that it has very many dedicated fans but enough interested in a prequel with a bunch of new actors for a $20m opening? I'd argue a Breaking Bad or GOT movie would struggle to make that and they are much more recent and visible properties with subject matters that haven't specifically fallen out the zeitgeist.

Certainly WB have made bigger risks, but probably those would all be risks with potentially higher ceilings if things hit. Is the ceiling for this big? I suppose it could trigger David Chase series on HBO....but those are happening anyway.

That said, I acknowledge that at least a part of my argument is that it had never appeared that more content, especially after the death of JG, was something Sopranos fans even wanted. But since I'm not a Sopranos fan and seemingly you are and you're telling me they do then, hey, happy to be wrong.