Eric Duncan

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

43 minutes ago, Movie nerd said:

Wow, it can make 90 mln, now the intresting question is, will Eternals be able to beat Venom 2 opening weekend. 

good chance imo, if shang chi can hit 75 mill 3 day ,(and that with holiday) , then i dont see why couldnt eternals hit 90+  mill weekend

1 hour ago, Halba said:

2h 36 minutes. just the length i like. also likely a MUCH better RT score than this turd from Sony.

Whats sony's strike rate last 15 years? maybe 50-60%? turd rate is nearly 50%. ..

Whats MCU's strike rate last 15 years? maybe 85%? (black widow as a turd , iron man 2, incredible hulk 08, falcon and winter soldier 2021 for example). turd rate only 15%. and some incredible ones there, probably What if? and loki are the best i've EVER seen.

😂 Never change with that god awful mantra 😂

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I don't think that first point necessarily follows. You can frame any of Citizen Kane, Casablanca or Gone with the Wind as a 'widely regarded greatest film ever made' but I don't know a 2021 sequel to any would make any money. It isn't perceived as the greatest (etc) outside of the US so would be relying almost entirely on Dom and the status is based on contemporaneous US TV critics, not fandom-size. I have no doubt that it has very many dedicated fans but enough interested in a prequel with a bunch of new actors for a $20m opening? I'd argue a Breaking Bad or GOT movie would struggle to make that and they are much more recent and visible properties with subject matters that haven't specifically fallen out the zeitgeist.

Certainly WB have made bigger risks, but probably those would all be risks with potentially higher ceilings if things hit. Is the ceiling for this big? I suppose it could trigger David Chase series on HBO....but those are happening anyway.

That said, I acknowledge that at least a part of my argument is that it had never appeared that more content, especially after the death of JG, was something Sopranos fans even wanted. But since I'm not a Sopranos fan and seemingly you are and you're telling me they do then, hey, happy to be wrong.

I am, so maybe I’m slightly biased. Regardless, it’s a new addition to a brand that is one of HBO’s Crown Jewels. So it won’t hurt. 

I definitely believe it will renew interest in both old fans rewatching the show, and newcomers now checking it out. 
Even though it was greenlit way before HBO Max was even an idea, it might be a happy coincidence for them and drive subscribers to a degree. 

I also think that if it wasn’t on HBO Max they wouldn’t have put it up against Venom.  Left it for later in the fall. Maybe thanksgiving. 

Edited by wildphantom

53 minutes ago, Movie nerd said:

Wow, it can make 90 mln, now the intresting question is, will Eternals be able to beat Venom 2 opening weekend. 

If Shang Chi open with 75M in 3 days Eternal will be able to open over 100M.

And No way home easily over 150M.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah trailer views are at Shang Chi level.

Venom 2's trailer views were higher than both.

Yeah I know, junk science but still.

Trailer views markedly better than SC which opened at peak delta. SC probably an easy 90+ on Eternals date, that extra 11% shouldn’t be hard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I don't understand what the business argument for the Many Saints of Newark is. Does it have an ultra-low budget or something?

We're talking a completely fresh faced lead actor with no track record, great supporting actors but not with massive profiles, a TV writer, a property that hasn't been mainstream for 15 years and a genre that couldn't possibly be more out of the zeitgeist right now.

There's actually been a lot of coverage over the past year of younger audiences flocking to it--so it very much is mainstream now--and how the show does reflect the zeitgeist right now.

NYT: Why Is Every Young Person in America Watching ‘The Sopranos’?: The show’s new audience is also seeing something different in it: a parable about a country in terminal decline.

NY Mag: Why The Sopranos Has Become a Zoomer Touchstone

The Guardian: The Sopranos: from enduring TV hit to the hottest show of lockdown

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah trailer views are at Shang Chi level.

Venom 2's trailer views were higher than both.

Yeah I know, junk science but still.

Eternals second trailer at 24m views 682k likes. SC second trailer a month before release was 14ish million views 400k likes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Sony is killing it with their Spider-verse this year but what other mega franchises do they have?

Jumanji, Bad Boys and also Sony Animation is starting to look revitalized.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Trailer views markedly better than SC which opened at peak delta. SC probably an easy 90+ on Eternals date, that extra 11% shouldn’t be hard.

SC also struck just the right chord with audiences. Definitely not going to bet against Marvel and Chloe though, and it probably won't matter much OW anyway.

• Like 2