Eric Atreides

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

10 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

was thinking 22.5 true friday mid day, but MTC tracking was pointing close to 25 ish, 23.5 will be about right. very good evening & night.

That would make sense. Venom is a very good candidate for a late night audience.

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Jesus Christ, yo could probably release Daredevil and Ghost Rider these days and they would probably explode at the box office

A Charlie Cox r-rated daredevil would make bank. So would a new ghost rider movie. If you mean the crappy 2000s versions, nah.

• Like 3

Just now, grey ghost said:

Then Marvel would experience TSS numbers the following year.

highly doubt it, if we are talking about new versions of course , ghost rider and daredevil seem more intresting concepts than shang chi

3 minutes ago, john2000 said:

highly doubt it, if we are talking about new versions of course , ghost rider and daredevil seem more intresting concepts than shang chi

I don't think the other folks on the threat were talking about new versions. More that their 00s versions were being used as synonym for "any old superhero rubbish".

Ghost Rider done well would perform extremely well right now and I don't know anyone would deny that. Indeed I think many suspect it's coming soon after Blade. Venom's success will make that even more likely. Supernatural Marvel is probably just getting started.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1

https://deadline.com/2021/10/venom-let-there-be-carnage-opening-weekend-box-office-1234847950/

The “In Association With Marvel” sequel (as it’s billed in the opening credits) hopscotched around the calendar before finally deciding on the first weekend October (where the first 2018 movie launched) and is heading toward the fourth best domestic opening of October with $71.3M per Sony this morning. However, industry estimates have the Andy Serkis directed sequel higher at $82.6M

b+ cinemascore

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, john2000 said:

I was referring to the older movies.

Everybody knows Daredevil from Netflix was high quality.

• Like 1

Deadline/Sony still lowballing.

If there were any exhibitors out there during the pandemic who were irate about Sony sending nine of their movies straight to streamers, and skipping theaters, consider this weekend’s Venom: Let There Be Carnage a big, wet kiss and make-up. The “In Association With Marvel” sequel (as it’s billed in the opening credits) hopscotched around the calendar before finally deciding on the first weekend October, where the first 2018 movie launched, is heading toward per Sony the fourth best domestic opening of October with $71.3M however industry estimates have the Andy Serkis directed sequel higher at $82.6M behind 2019’s Joker ($96.2M).

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, XO21 said:

I'm skeptical about Eternals, over 85-100m seems a lot.

I agree - Eternals only "hook" so far is "part of MCU Phase 4" - now, that's a BIG hook, but what's driving non-base viewers? 

Venom 2 had three hooks - "more Hardy as Venom, Woody as Carnage, spooky comedy monster madness for the fall" - and then it added the killer "hero we can't name here" ending hook that took it to the stratosphere...

I think we're again setting up for disappoint when we say "well Venom 2 did X, and it sucks, so supers movie Y has to go even higher"...unless we're talking about a certain webcrawler b/c that is the done deal...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 2

B+ is the same as the last film. And a B+ is “just ok” for a superhero sequel, is that right? 

I know the internet goes easy on some of these films and hard on others, for no reason. Lol

Great opening Friday. Sony projecting $71.3m would be a horrific multiplier of 1.9x lol. I don’t think. Venom’s multiplier was 2.47x. 

$82m+ weekend I’d say. New pandemic record and it moves over to Sony. 

Has every studio held this pandemic opening weekend record now? Warner Brothers > Paramount > Unviersal > Disney > Sony? 

Edited by Krissykins

Venom 2 demo breakdown - very similar to 1st Venom with an even higher male draw...

"Kids under 12 loved it at 88% positive, a 66% definite recommend with an overall pull of 67% guys, 50% over 25 with 57% falling between the vibrant pandemic moviegoing demo of 18-34. Diversity demos were 40% Caucasian, a very strong 29% Hispanic and Latino turnout, 16% Black and 15% Asian/other. The West and South were the dominant areas for Tom Hardy’s Eddie Brock sequel with Imax, PLFs and 3D repping since Thursday night a huge 65% of business." https://deadline.com/2021/10/venom-let-there-be-carnage-opening-weekend-box-office-1234847950/

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Venom 2 demo breakdown - very similar to 1st Venom with an even higher male draw...

"Kids under 12 loved it at 88% positive, a 66% definite recommend with an overall pull of 67% guys, 50% over 25 with 57% falling between the vibrant pandemic moviegoing demo of 18-34. Diversity demos were 40% Caucasian, a very strong 29% Hispanic and Latino turnout, 16% Black and 15% Asian/other. The West and South were the dominant areas for Tom Hardy’s Eddie Brock sequel with Imax, PLFs and 3D repping since Thursday night a huge 65% of business." https://deadline.com/2021/10/venom-let-there-be-carnage-opening-weekend-box-office-1234847950/

18-34 the dominant demo. Older adults still not back...