Eric Atreides

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

Speaking of "Supernatural Marvel just getting started" and returning to odd commissioning choices and zeitgeists.....

A note that right now the biggest TV show in the world is horror Squid Game, the new TV launch this week was horror Midnight Mass, the biggest Marvel movie of next year is coming from a Horror Director, three of the biggest COVID busting movies in terms of profitability were horror, the DCEU's first billion dollar movie came from a horror director, the first $100m movie at the box office post cover was a monster mashup and this week we have the horror aesthetics and tone of Venom romping home.

And yet four years ago the company sitting on the biggest collection of prominent proven horror characters in existence went "I know what we'll do with these. Let's make a celeb-driven, 90s-style action franchise with airplane stunts!!!!"

Addams Family 2 demo...and now you can see, when women and kids dominate the demo (no matter how diverse), DOM BO is not going very high yet...

Females, spurred by moms, made up 57% of the audience which saw 42% under 17. Diversity demos were 38% Caucasian, a strong 34% Hispanic and Latino turnout and 16% Black and 12% Asian/other.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/venom-let-there-be-carnage-opening-weekend-box-office-1234847950/

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Eternals second trailer at 24m views 682k likes. SC second trailer a month before release was 14ish million views 400k likes.

So basic, infallible math dictates Eternals will do $128M OW on its way to $390M domestic.

Menor has spoken!

Kneel before your god, Babylon!!! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Yikes at that Newark score. Is it really that bad of a movie? Biggest second weekend drop for a 2021 Warner film incoming!

I didn't really care for the film, but I feel the biggest issue with Newark was mismarketing and a bit of a failure to understand what people wanted to see. The ads hyped up this up as a look at young Tony Soprano like the movie was all about him. But instead it's largely on characters who never appeared in the show on the first place while Tony's just a side character who we barely follow.

This would be like if the Sex and the City movie was from the perspective of Mr. Big instead of Carrie and the rest of the women. It's just going to lead to only hardcore fans getting into it and a lot of casual fans and newcomers disappointed.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

A Charlie Cox r-rated daredevil would make bank. So would a new ghost rider movie. If you mean the crappy 2000s versions, nah.

Au contraire. I already talked about this in the tracking thread, but the Venom movies stand out for having the aesthetic and tone of awkward early-to-mid 2000s blockbusters. It's a bizarre, yet oddly nostalgic and charming kind of film that isn't made anymore that helps make the Venom titles stand out. So yeah, Affleck Daredevil and Cage Ghost Rider would totally benefit from that.

• Like 1

YAY Venom stayed above EmpireCity's 37M estimate! I was worried it would go tad below. But people love Venom - the true anti-hero among million heroes - and Tom Hardy (Furiosa may be the most praised aspect of Fury Road, but everyone knows and uses Hardy's "That's a bait" meme). Brits saved the cinema (Hardy + Craig). :bravo:

• Like 1

I've been the biggest one hyping Many Saints for weeks and even I thought it was.....fine? It's just okay as a movie, and I know a ton of people talking about it on Twitter but they all watched it on Max, the same place they just binged the show. Tele was right when he said this would be hurt by Max even more than any other WB property because of that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

so, Top 5 of the year are cbm is a done deal, right?

Never forget that Mickey's Law is the one constant in the universe.

(Spidey's a Disney movie in Sony's clothing and Venom has tricked the masses into thinking it's Disney/MCU, so those do not perish under Mickey's Law)

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Just added from Deadline

Other notables this weekend: Chal Mera Putt 3 from Rhythm Boyz Entertainment and filmmaker Janjot Singh is looking at an estimated $210K Friday and 3-day of $674K for a very good $7,4K theater average. The threequel, about the lives of illegal immigrants in the UK, their friendship and their constant struggle of finding a home away from home; did most of its business in Canada.

NEON’s Cannes Film Festival Palme d’Or winner Titane is posting an estimated $218K Friday and $562K weekend at 562 theaters. Among its theaters in 127 markets, I hear the movie’s big city runs are halfway decent. Like all adult-skewing specialty titles in this marketplace, distributors with such fare have to go wider than the handful of NYC and LA runs they use to book during pre-pandemic times. While we’ve written that when a big cinema in a city market closes, that the audience migrates to another theater in the area; just know that many indie distributors are greatly missing the Hollywood Arclight right now. That movie was a jewel and fire to getting awards contenders off the ground in their first weekend at the box office. The Julia Ducournau directed movie is 84% certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.

Liongate’s documentary  about the faith-based music scene, The Jesus Music, grossed $244K on Friday for what looks to be a $550K opening weekend at 249 theaters in 108 markets. The feature from the Erwin Brothers had some halfway decent runs in the Bible Belt.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Speaking of "Supernatural Marvel just getting started" and returning to odd commissioning choices and zeitgeists.....

A note that right now the biggest TV show in the world is horror Squid Game, the new TV launch this week was horror Midnight Mass, the biggest Marvel movie of next year is coming from a Horror Director, three of the biggest COVID busting movies in terms of profitability were horror, the DCEU's first billion dollar movie came from a horror director, the first $100m movie at the box office post cover was a monster mashup and this week we have the horror aesthetics and tone of Venom romping home.

And yet four years ago the company sitting on the biggest collection of prominent proven horror characters in existence went "I know what we'll do with these. Let's make a celeb-driven, 90s-style action franchise with airplane stunts!!!!"

Nextgen year Marvel have 3 BIG movie. All of them potenially over 160M in pre pandemic time

i dont understand Why people underestimate Eternals

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Nextgen year Marvel have 3 BIG movie. All of them potenially over 160M in pre pandemic time

i dont understand Why people underestimate Eternals

Eternals is out this year.

I realise all 4 MCU movies out next year are big ones, but Multiverse of Madness is the one that has been hyped up as a major crossover event and will have Spidey directly feeding into it. I didn't think it wold be controversial to frame DS:MoM as the biggest MCU film of next year.

4 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I didn't think it wold be controversial to frame DS:MoM as the biggest MCU film of next year.

Wouldn't surprise me but I'll take BP: WF as the biggest domestic film next year. 

13 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Eternals is out this year.

I realise all 4 MCU movies out next year are big ones, but Multiverse of Madness is the one that has been hyped up as a major crossover event and will have Spidey directly feeding into it. I didn't think it wold be controversial to frame DS:MoM as the biggest MCU film of next year.

Hot take but I think MOM will be the smallest MCU film next year.