Eric Atreides

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah I kinda feel the Avatar fandom is one of the most hidden cause I still don't see them everywhere like other fandoms but I'm not betting against Cameron either.

Once upon a time people claimed Titanic and Avatar were going to flop.

Spoiler: They didn't.

I think the lack of visible fandom with the Cameron material is part of the effectiveness. Of course theres a dedicated fandom to that Avatar world and to Cameron in general, but as you say they're quiet and aren't prone to specific demands or expectation, it won't be them who make the films massive - it'll be the people who haven't even thought about Avatar since 2008 other than the Disney theme park.

There's no expectation in many quarters for what Avatar 2 is. So when it hits, it'll hit like a freight train.

Probably.

Not definitely. There's a chance in there that it's a historic car crash. And theoretically I'd be tempted to agree...there's always a chance with that much power, his personal preferences might deviate from and override his amazing populist instincts.

But no way am I falling for that again.

• Like 1

As for Wakanda Forever, I think Black Panther has had the impact on popular culture for any CBM in the last decade, yes even moreso than IW and EG because of the impact it made in particularly in the black community. While I think a drop is likely I don’t see how it’s not the biggest CBM domestically that year (Avatar 2 is gunning for top spot though.)

43 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

You dont make $700M+ without china if some of the audience doesnt like a film. It got the same cinemascore as TSS and legs didnt collapse at the box office like TSS or BVS. The movie wasnt good, but just like venom there absolutely was elements that the audience responded to.

I mean AOE did over $800m without China and it still fell roughly and TSS also opened on Max and which as you’d notice has tanked legs for pretty much any WB film this year. There’s also the manner of timeframe as well as Venom 2 came out sooner between its predecessor than TSS did.

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

As for Wakanda Forever, I think Black Panther has had the impact on popular culture for any CBM in the last decade, yes even moreso than IW and EG because of the impact it made in particularly in the black community. While I think a drop is likely I don’t see how it’s not the biggest CBM domestically that year (Avatar 2 is gunning for top spot though.)

I mean AOE did over $800m without China and it still fell roughly and TSS also opened on Max and which as you’d notice has tanked legs for pretty much any WB film this year. There’s also the manner of timeframe as well as Venom 2 came out sooner between its predecessor than TSS did.

Conjuring 3 and GVK didnt collapse. Malignant didnt but it barely made anything the first place lol. 

17 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I can’t believe Let There Be Carnage had a bigger opening day than the first movie. I guess that must be on the count of the hype for NWH. 

Don't underestimate the potential drawing power of seeing a pair of Oscar-nominated A-listers going full HAM! in a superhero setting. Honestly the kitschy nature of these movies is likely why they're so popular since they stand out in the genre.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I don't know. I feel like the whole Chadwick situation has soured a lot of people on Wakanda Forever. I know that my excitement is way down on it. I'm still gonna see it obviously but the lack of T'challa is disappointing. I know Marvel didn't have a lot of options without pissing people off but I think they should've delayed it and given people more time. Like do the Wakanda series first and have it take place between IW and EG to explain T'challa's absence and then maybe after some healing people would've been more open to a recast scenario or an excuse to write the character off if they had to since people would've been used to his absence.

Edited by poweranimals
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Conjuring 3 and GVK didnt collapse. Malignant didnt but it barely made anything the first place lol. 

GVK had a holiday release and Horror judging by both of Conjuring and Malignant, things turn out to be more or less the same cause of the genre.

2 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

Also possible. I think it'll depend a lot on the Spider-Man connection and just how heavy it ties in (could be like an IW to EG thing). Personally I'm going with the following for domestic total....

1. BP:WF
2. DSITMOM
3. The Marvels
4. T: L&T 

Thor at bottom seems unlikely given his surge in popularity. Plus you have the Guardians

48 minutes ago, Porthos said:

FAnF9AFXoAA7Pxq?format=jpg&name=900x900

I mean, Star Wars is already dead in China, so let's fucking go! 👍 

Well, of the 3 Star Wars movies announced in development, only one has no director. The one made by Kevin Feige and Marvel vet Michael Waldron. Hmmm.

1 hour ago, Dominic Draper said:

I thought TSS was completley awful and audiences didnt seem to respond much to it so I am not sure how it sorted out the damage control with a historically bad box office run. Sure some of the audience really loves it, but I would say an equal amount didnt care for it. Also for Venom, Tom Hardy knew it was a comedy, the director didnt. So it was a weird frankenstein film where Tom Hardy made one film and the other parts were played straight. The sequel seems to have fixed that though I havent watched yet.

I am not defending SS, it's a bad film. But there was elements and characters I enjoyed and I would have rather they just took those and made a better film. TSS, like WW84, I dont think there was single enjoyable moment for me and it killed what little interest I had left in DC. What is even the point of following DC when they constantly just change everything and reboot and twist and not follow up. MCU will take a bad film like dark world but still make your investment worth it by tying future films into it and building off it. 

Well I didn't see evidence of poor WOM given the positive multipliers in the countries where they didn't give it an online release.  Every character worth keeping from the original actually made it to TSS with the exception of Deadshot

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Well I didn't see evidence of poor WOM given the positive multipliers in the countries where they didn't give it an online release.  Every character worth keeping from the original actually made it to TSS with the exception of Deadshot

No evidence except complete disinterest? Biggest 2nd weekend drop for a DC film since steel? A total $167M WW BO. The only place I see it did okay in was the UK.

And sure it brought back a few characters. And killed them. Yay.