Eric Atreides

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

how much would Venom have made this weekend if it was on tv for free though? 

you make some good points, but the television factor is what makes the performances of both movies incomparable.  At least to me it does. I’ve kind of bracketed the ‘straight to free tv’ clan to a whole other universe. One which WB are stuck in until the clock strikes midnight at the end of the year. 

Kudos to Sony for seeing the light after what Shang Chi did.  They must be hyped about what Spidey is going to do in two months. 

This is totally fair, and there is no doubt Max effected it. Who knows what Venom does without it being exclusive.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

If everybody hated it it would have cratered at the box office after the first weekend It didnt. It had  a healthy run and made almost as much as gotg without China. It would have got an F cinemascore. It wouldn't be popular with cosplay to this very day. It wouldnt have spawned a soundtrack that was insanely popular. I see quotes from SS in random tik toks that go viral almost every other day. Especially the Joker/Harley stuff. Hell I just saw some girl go viral cos playing as Leto joker. Hell when Snyder unveiled Leto in ZSJL that generated a ton of discussion online and it wasnt all hate.

The idea that nobody enjoyed SS is just false. People enjoyed it, whether in a it's so bad its good way or not. Hell even if someone is hate watching it, that's better for the studio than complete and utter indifference.

I used to think like this as well but unfortunately if this was true the new movie would of opened a lot higher then it did. The general audience didn’t care about the Suicide squad cause it was a bad movie that benefited from having little to no competition. If they liked it like you say they did they would of showed up to see this one. The general audience has no idea if this was a sequel or semi reboot or whatever it was classified as. They saw Suicide squad in the title and obviously thought of the first movie and didn’t want to give this a chance in theatres, and most people in the states probably watched it on Max.

Again, you’re entitled to your opinion but I know a ton of people who saw the first movie and despised it, I remember at the time of release how much people hated it and said how dumb it was. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I used to think like this as well but unfortunately if this was true the new movie would of opened a lot higher then it did. The general audience didn’t care about the Suicide squad cause it was a bad movie that benefited from having little to no competition. If they liked it like you say they did they would of showed up to see this one. The general audience has no idea if this was a sequel or semi reboot or whatever it was classified as. They saw Suicide squad in the title and obviously thought of the first movie and didn’t want to give this a chance in theatres, and most people in the states probably watched it on Max.

Again, you’re entitled to your opinion but I know a ton of people who saw the first movie and despised it, I remember at the time of release how much people hated it and said how dumb it was. 

I don't see any evidence that people disliked The Suicide Squad though? What metrics are there to back this up? imdb, RT audience reviews, cinemascore all show that audience generally enjoyed it.

10 minutes ago, cax16 said:

They didnt show up to this one because it basically disregarded the first film and was basically a reboot with not much in common.  How was this film at all appealing to the younger audience like the first film was? So not only do you have the portion of the audience that hated the first film not showing up, but you also dont have the audience that did like the first film not showing up because it looks nothing like the first.

It was a film that basically looked appealing to nobody. Which is why it did so, so poorly. I'd say JL2017 has the same issue where it was a film that appealed to nobody. People that hated BVS hated it, and the Snyder cultists hated it too.

Edited by Dominic Draper

Just now, Avatree said:

I don't see any evidence that people disliked The Suicide Squad though? What metrics are there to back this up? imdb, RT audience reviews, cinemascore all show that audience generally enjoyed it.

Are you talking about the first one or the second one? I’m talking about the first one, and audience scores for the first one on RT are 59% which is awful and IMDb is 5.9/10. 

On 10/2/2021 at 6:42 PM, Knights of Ren said:

I am of the opinion that both Suicide Squad movies were terrible.  

The last one was a bit overhyped but for sure it's miles and millions ahead to the two Venom movies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fox20 said:

The last one was a bit overhyped but for sure it's miles and millions ahead to the two Venom movies.

I’d prefer to watch both Venom movies over TSS.  Sure it technically might be a “better” movie, but the venom movies were much more enjoyable and entertaining.  This is just IMO, of course. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Are you talking about the first one or the second one? I’m talking about the first one, and audience scores for the first one on RT are 59% which is awful and IMDb is 5.9/10. 

OK My bad, I thought you were talking about the second one, I misread your post / your point :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dominic Draper said:

They didnt show up to this one because it basically disregarded the first film and was basically a reboot with not much in common.  How was this film at appealing ti the younger audience like the first film was? So not only do you have the portion of the audience that hated the first film not showing up, but you also dont have the audience that did like the first film not showing uo because it looks nothing like the first.

It was a film that basically looked appealing to nobody. Which is why it did so, so poorly. I'd say JL2017 has the same issue where it was a film that appealed to nobody. People that hated BVS hated it, and the Snyder cultists hated it too.

This is a pointless conversation honestly, I don’t agree with your opinions so this is just gonna go back and forth. 

The bottom line is the new Suicide squad is rated way higher in critic and audience scores which means people liked this way more so WB did the right thing going in another direction and trying to build off that. The only reason this movie was even made is cause they wanted to give Gunn free reign and take whatever DC IP he wanted when Disney fired him. If they see interest in Peacemaker isn’t there then they won’t keep trying to build off this and will let Gunn take on another IP. 

• Like 2

I have all 2022 MCU Films making over $1 Billion easily but might save that for a club later on.

At this point being "the next installment" is a hook already. 

Regarding Venom 2 vs The Suicide Squad people really like Tom Hardy's Venom so a sequel will make sense but none of the Suicide Squad characters have that. Even Margo Robbie's Harley Quinn unfortunately isn't popular enough to fully carry a film.

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

This is a pointless conversation honestly, I don’t agree with your opinions so this is just gonna go back and forth. 

The bottom line is the new Suicide squad is rated way higher in critic and audience scores which means people liked this way more so WB did the right thing going in another direction and trying to build off that. The only reason this movie was even made is cause they wanted to give Gunn free reign and take whatever DC IP he wanted when Disney fired him. If they see interest in Peacemaker isn’t there then they won’t keep trying to build off this and will let Gunn take on another IP. 

We have different definitions of doing the right thing then. Alienating your own fan base and producing 3 flops in a row doesnt sound too appealing for a movie studio. But between creative talent and audiences , alienating people seem to be WB's strength nowadays.

And personally I hope Gunn never gets his hands on another DC IP.

5 minutes ago, cax16 said:

The bottom line is the new Suicide squad is rated way higher in critic and audience scores which means people liked this way more so WB did the right thing going in another direction and trying to build off that.

I've been hearing the DCEU is on the right direction since they hired Joss Whedon to save Justice League, but all I'm seeing is lower and lower opening weekend numbers for the franchise, sadly. There's no point in rave reviews and good ratings from the few fans left if general audiences are not interested anymore.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I've been hearing the DCEU is on the right direction since they hired Joss Whedon to save Justice League, but all I'm seeing is lower and lower opening weekend numbers for the franchise, sadly. There's no point in rave reviews and good ratings from the few fans left if general audiences are not interested anymore.

maybe they shouldn't have let snyder shit the bed multiple times

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I have all 2022 MCU Films making over $1 Billion easily but might save that for a club later on.

At this point being "the next installment" is a hook already. 

Regarding Venom 2 vs The Suicide Squad people really like Tom Hardy's Venom so a sequel will make sense but none of the Suicide Squad characters have that. Even Margo Robbie's Harley Quinn unfortunately isn't popular enough to fully carry a film.

Clubs are supposed to be bold though ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Who cares how big opening weekends are when the audience ends up hating the movies and damaging the brand. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Highest grossing film of the DCEU was released after Justice League. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I'm really going to hone in on this because this is what betrays the issue here somewhat. Who wanted more of that? LOADS OF PEOPLE. Women (demographically speaking, don't want to stereotype but it's true), edgy teens, young people figuring out the whole romance thing, people who have a strange attraction to toxic relationships, people who are into fashion/style/aesthetics and just love the whole imagery of the thing. Oh and anyone who's into the Joker, if the alternative is Joker being removed from the film.

So not you. Certainly not me. But among cinemas many recent lessons in the last ten years is that edgy toxic relationships make $$, and edgy toxic relationships featuring the single most established box office draw in cinema history (consider the average BO of films featuring him even just against the Batman films that don't) make $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

There's a reasonable thesis statement here about Venom embracing its success, keeping the things people loved and just quietly and without fuss putting the first film's flaws in a draw. They aren't totally comparable, no, because SS did hurt its brand more and despite being of questionable quality Venom was much loved. But there's a lot to fine parallels in.

The Minions movie was almost historic level garbage, but it made a ton of money and if you were in charge of the Minions sequel you wouldn't publicly disown the first one, change the tone, hire a Pixar director and trumpet the fact, and make it clear that there would be fewer Minions in the next movie and they'd be less obsessed with bananas. You'd just make a better Minions movie. And that's what Venom did. Then the people who loved it first up seem to like this one just as much and the people who didn't like the first one are pleasantly surprised.

I think sacrificing The Harley/Joker romance for Jokers own billion dollar grossing movie has just proven to be the right choice though. More of those edgy teens turned up for Joker than SS. It changed course completely and it's been a huge success. Going by that, it would seem the one thing TSS didn't do well enough is steering far enough away from its predecessor. I would have stripped everyone and started fresh. Having half the characters and Idris in the lead made it look like they'd just replaced Will Smith's character with another black guy. Didn't realise it was a different character until I saw the movie.

I get there are some people that would watch a Joker/Harley romance movie, but I don't think that audience is high enough to justify doing it, there are better options

Edited by Chicago
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago said:

I think sacrificing The Harley/Joker romance for Jokers own billion dollar grossing movie has just proven to be the right choice though. More of those edgy teens turned up for Joker than SS. It changed course completely it's been a huge success. Going by that, it would seem the one thing TSS didn't do well enough is steering far enough away from its predecessor. I would have stripped everyone and started fresh. Having half the characters and Idris in the lead made it look like they'd just replaced Will Smith's character with another black guy. Didn't realise it was a different character until I saw the movie.

I get there are some people that would watch a Joker/Harley romance movie, but I don't think that audience is high enough to justify doing it, there are better options

They could have done both though. Really embrace that multi verse aspect.