Eric Atreides

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

Sony really should’ve had a Resident Evil trailer playing in front of Venom 2 this weekend. 

Alas, the film is out in 7 weeks and they haven’t even released a poster lol.

Great for Venom, hopefully by the end of October we have a decently performing top 10 and not just one big film at a time. 

For a truly insane box office fact this weekend: No Time To Die has increased each day at the box office here in the UK so far and had potentially the 4th biggest Saturday… of all time. (including all pre-pandemic and holiday weekend films). 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

22 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Resdeient evil has to be getting delayed or dumped on a streaming service at this point. 

Sony is probably going Nice Guy on Netflix and Amazon at this point with barrage of voice mails and texts, begging for someone to buy it.

• Haha 1

We’re going to be seeing some sweet, sweet headlines from the trades later today.  The Venom/Bond one-two punch will be a weekend long remembered for moviegoing. 

Give the people big movies they want to see exclusively in theaters and they will return in droves. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i think Venom is not so good, but i do hope this gives Sony the strength to cut ties with Disney , so they make their  spidey movies in their own universe , though they need to retire the peter parker version for a little while

5 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i don't care if Venom is bad, its successful and proves Disney not needed, Sony Spidey Movies > MCU Spidey imo

This. Still waiting for another reboot.

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I tried to tell everyone this would happen.  

And they almost banned you for it. People need to learn to live with different opinions, because sometimes that may be the voice of reason. I've been warned for saying stuff that were later proven true, like that Ben Affleck would be down to playing Batman again.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I tried to tell everyone this would happen.  

I think more people are surprised at Venom doing as well as it is more than cinemas booming. We knew it would happen eventually, Venom being the big breakout is a surprise to alot though 

48 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

And they almost banned you for it. People need to learn to live with different opinions, because sometimes that may be the voice of reason. I've been warned for saying stuff that were later proven true, like that Ben Affleck would be down to playing Batman again.

Yeah Ben Affleck said he would because of his kids. I respect that, even if he wasn't very good

Sony really has something Big with this "Venom" Anti-Hero Series.  I also think they should keep the October release.  It kind of works as a comic horror in a way.  Once Spidey can be brought in it's even bigger gangbusters after that.  I've told people that technically speaking Spidey is his OWN UNIVERSE.  He doesn't need anyone else really in his films.  He has plenty of cool villains and side characters.    Disney only has him a few more films.   I don't ever see Sony giving up the rights.   Man, this is crazy that Venom, one of Spidey's wildest villains is getting his own Trilogy and it's successful without Spidey.  Wow.   If you would of told my younger self that a Venom V Carnage would happen without Spidey, I wouldn't believe you. But they really did pull it off.  I guess we are heading for a collusion course.  They going to have to do it at some point.  But those are great numbers especially for October even without the Pandemic.   

Amazon.com: The Amazing Spider-Man #378 : Featuring the Rage of Venom in  "Demons on Broadway" (Maximum Carnage - Marvel Comics): Mark Bagley, David  Michelinie: Books

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bond breaking all kinds of records in UK, and doing stellar elsewhere too, and Venom breaking all kinds of records in Russia, and doing stellar in US, shows what happens when you put the right movies in cinemas. Recovery is happening but it's much more obvious when there's something that people actually want to see and would even take a little risk for it. In translation: not just core fandom. The way Brits are rallying behind NTTD is the story of this weekend hands down. :bravo:

• Thanks 1