Eric Atreides

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

3 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Eternals doesn’t have any of their main characters attend a rave while covered in glow sticks though! For that reason alone I can see it opening below Venom 😂

Yeah, but it does have one of its main characters doing a Bollywood dance -- twice the power, at least. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Of all the theatrical only releases, Candyman feels like the only one which underperformed to pre-pandemic expectations. The final total will be what some analysts thought it could open to 

Spiral, Peter Rabbit 2, Spirit, Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard, F9, Escape Room 2, Respect, Stillwater, Snake Eyes, Old, The Forever Purge etc.

All would have made more pre-pandemic. 

Candyman has done well, all things considered. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Name 3 better Spider-man scenes other than the train scene in SM2.

Miles’ Leap of Faith

Miles’ closing scene in ITSV

Ock’s Sacrifice

Peter’s return as Spidey

The OG Spidey kiss

I can list more if needed.

Like I’m not denying it’s a good scene but one good scene doesn’t excuse a mediocre movie for me.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Miles’ Leap of Faith

Miles’ closing scene in ITSV

Ock’s Sacrifice

Peter’s return as Spidey

The OG Spidey kiss

I can list more if needed.

Like I’m not denying it’s a good scene but one good scene doesn’t excuse a mediocre movie for me.

I'll give you the Leap of Faith, but the Berlin illusion sequence was much better than all the rest you listed. I always found the kiss scene especially to be utterly overrated. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

44 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Is that true?

Both Shang-Chi and Black Widow grossed 170-200M. They should have been significantly higher than that pre-covid. 

Fast & Furious 9 still had a reasonable drop from previous installments.

Cruella grossed less than Dumbo and imo had a lot more going for it.

Conjuring & Purge both dropped by 30-40% from previous films.

Family films in particular seem to be really struggling:

Boss Baby 2 dropped by 70% from the first film.

Peter Rabbit dropped by 65% from the first film.

Jungle Cruise completely flopped (imo it was on track to do well before pandemic)

In fact, the only films that seem to have performed on par with what they would have done pre-pandemic, are Quiet Place 2, Godzilla v Kong, and Space Jam 2... two of which are Warner Bros releases.

Not to mention the international box office has absolutely not recovered, all the films mentioned above did very badly overseas.

Shang Chi is going to end up at 225m minimum domestic. I don't think 300 domestic was a reasonable forecast precovid for an obscure IP. 250 would mean 90% of pre covid target.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I was really sleep deprived and was kinda dozing off so maybe that influenced my thoughts on this but I watched the original Dracula today and I just found the movie to be a lot more stilted than I expected. I also watched Frankenstein and even with my sleep deprivation, this actually felt like a good movie. Karloff's performance moved me to tears at one point.

And lmao at everyone shitting on Reeves and Ryder's performances in the Coppola version of Dracula when the Harker and Mina performances in this are way worse. 

Didn't get to see Frankenstein, but I'm with you on Dracula. The big issue I have is the lack of a score, because it makes things way more stilted than it should be. I do like the atmosphere and Bela Lugosi however, it's no wonder his performance would be the blueprint for decades to come.

8 hours ago, Orestes said:

Yeah, woulda been nice not having to see that trailer anymore.

I got it yet again at Newark this past Friday. The silent reactions from a crowd of 35-40 year olds was very amusing.

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

And they almost banned you for it. People need to learn to live with different opinions, because sometimes that may be the voice of reason. I've been warned for saying stuff that were later proven true, like that Ben Affleck would be down to playing Batman again.

We didn't ban EmpireCity for being right. We banned him because he was being a dick. Being right doesn't give you any excuse to be disrespectful to others or the staff, and we aren't letting this type of behavior slide with people...or at least we should, but insider access is apparently the one justifiable metric for some folks. Honestly, he's damn lucky he gets access to the numbers, because the only reason people defended his bullying behavior is because they can't imagine a world where he doesn't tell us what the box office numbers are.

And I don't remember you ever getting warning points or a threadban for saying Affleck wanted to play Batman again. I have checked your extensive history of warnings and points, and there is nothing here that indicates otherwise. But if I were to guess, I'm 99.99% sure it was because you were being a dick. Because we're totally fine with people giving different opinions, so long as you don't be a dick about it.

2 hours ago, Let There Be Legion said:

...I don't think you understand the actual cause of the warning in either of these cases

Oh he knows. He's just bitter we're holding folks accountable for their actions.

• Like 6

I don't think Many Saints would've been a huge deal even in normal times with maybe $20M/$55M type of run even in a best case scenario since it always seemed like a "for die-hard fans only, everyone else need not apply" sort of thing. Still a pretty rough number though. Wonder if they'll release how it did on HBO Max.

• Like 1

Venom 2 has proven to be hardly any more frontloaded than its original, at least in terms of preview grosses.

Share of opening-day from previews was 31.1% for Venom 2 vs 30.8% for the original. Likewise, share of the weekend gross from previews was 12.9% for Venom 2 vs 12.5% for the original. The latter seems particularly impressive given the original Venom benefited from the Canadian Thanksgiving holiday on the Monday.

Venom is (correct me if I'm wrong) one of the few comic book franchises that isn't tied to a wider universe, at least explicitly - which is probably in part what enables it to be so walk-up friendly.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DlAMONDZ said:

How is 90m possible? People told me that because of the "bad stench" of the first one it wouldn't break 50m

Easy! People liked the first one despite the plot sucking, michelle williams being awful and the villain being terrible.

Better villain, michelle did better and the reception was way stronger. Perfect time for the release and apparently people liked it even more! Combine all of that with no competition besides Shang Chi out for a month. Bet it does good next week too.

Venom had back to back massive domestic drops. Venom 2 will hold better for weekends #2, #3 and #4!

14 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Final fight with Goblin in SM1, Sandman birth sequence in SM3, clocktower battle and 'spoiler' in TASM2, opening swinging in TASM2, craine swinging in TASM1, fight with Doc Oc in bank in SM2, Venom birth/symbiote rejection in church in SM3. Here's 7 for you.

No offense but it's like you threw a bunch of mediocre scenes in there to make a statement.

I mean nobody cares about those scenes from TASM/TASM2.

And what's so special about Ock throwing money bags at Spider-man or that guy from that 70's show turning into Venom. Lmao.

Maybe the Clocktower/Sandman scenes but that's still debatable.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1