Eric Duncan

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

I swear there was a point where right after the first Venom was being trashed by critics Hardy was looking embarrassed in interviews and was trying to distance himself saying he was disappointed all the stuff he really liked got cut out or something. Though obviously he could change his tune after the movie ended up being a big box office success. I remember that being funny as hell

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

No offense but it's like you threw a bunch of mediocre scenes in there to make a statement.

I mean nobody cares about those scenes from TASM/TASM2.

And what's so special about Ock throwing money bags at Spider-man or that guy from that 70's show turning into Venom. Lmao.

Maybe the Clocktower/Sandman scenes but that's still debatable.

Nobody?  Gwens death in TASM2 is easily one of the best SM scenes (I think it’s the best). 

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

I like how I say there's a great scene in an MCU Spider-man movie and someone calls ASM2 a masterpiece and my statement gets the backlash.

Never change, BOT.

In case it wasn’t obvious, me calling AMS2 a masterpiece was moreso a joke (I called it an experience lol) but I stand by the other comment.

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I swear there was a point where right after the first Venom was being trashed by critics Hardy was looking embarrassed in interviews and was trying to distance himself saying he was disappointed all the stuff he really liked got cut out or something. Though obviously he could change his tune after the movie ended up being a big box office success. I remember that being funny as hell

This has always been misinterpreted. The question he was asked what "What were his favorite scenes TO SHOOT?", not "What were his favorite scenes?". And his response was "Footage that's not even in the movie." What he was talking about was scenes of him walking around the streets like a maniac and doing weird Eddie/Venom stuff. I'm sure that stuff was super fun to shoot, but it makes sense why it got cut out and he knows that

Edited by Pinacolada

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I still love Michelle Williams bluntly stating she signed on for Venom just for the money. Literal queen shit

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Sony deserves credit for a successful Venom franchise and Into the Spider-verse.

But it was also smart to let Spidey play in the MCU sandbox.

ASM2: 709 m and 52% on RT

FFH: 1.13 billion and 90% on RT

It was smart but I do feel Sony's first 3 Spiderman movies were much bigger deals than MCU's Spiderman. That will likely change with NWH though

With how crazy Venom's opening is and how big October is looking to be overall, the holiday box office is looking to come back roaring, at least when it comes to the IP-based tentpoles (whether anything else will catch on remains to be seen).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

Is that true?

Both Shang-Chi and Black Widow grossed 170-200M. They should have been significantly higher than that pre-covid. 

Fast & Furious 9 still had a reasonable drop from previous installments.

Cruella grossed less than Dumbo and imo had a lot more going for it.

Conjuring & Purge both dropped by 30-40% from previous films.

Family films in particular seem to be really struggling:

Boss Baby 2 dropped by 70% from the first film.

Peter Rabbit dropped by 65% from the first film.

Jungle Cruise completely flopped (imo it was on track to do well before pandemic)

In fact, the only films that seem to have performed on par with what they would have done pre-pandemic, are Quiet Place 2, Godzilla v Kong, and Space Jam 2... two of which are Warner Bros releases.

Not to mention the international box office has absolutely not recovered, all the films mentioned above did very badly overseas.

I think AQP would have easily opened over the first pre pandemic. It definitely took a hit

3 minutes ago, Eric Soprano said:

I still love Michelle Williams bluntly stating she signed on for Venom just for the money. Literal queen shit

Loved that honesty lol.

Halle Berry was asked why she did X-Men: Days of Future Past and she just said “well, those residual checks don’t hurt” 😂

Excellent for Venom, despite being bad it's a fun movie so that's why it doesn't lose audience. And also, obviously the connection with MCU help, everyone is talking about the post credit scene.

I think NTTD is coming for +70M, Eternals buzz seems considerably higher than SC so i really doubt it's going below at least 80M, and Dune seems to be tracking well at 35-40M so it can do good business too.

This next month is going to be great and hopefully will kill the dumb ideas of moving things (i'm looking at you Paramount).

Also, congratulations to Shang Chi for being the first +200M DOM in 20 months.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Shang Chi is going to end up at 225m minimum domestic. I don't think 300 domestic was a reasonable forecast precovid for an obscure IP. 250 would mean 90% of pre covid target.

Let’s not ever refer to any IP’s owned by Disney and Marvel as “obscure” lol. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

No offense but it's like you threw a bunch of mediocre scenes in there to make a statement.

I mean nobody cares about those scenes from TASM/TASM2.

And what's so special about Ock throwing money bags at Spider-man or that guy from that 70's show turning into Venom. Lmao.

Maybe the Clocktower/Sandman scenes but that's still debatable.

It's not debatable, every single scene I listed is much better than Mysterio scene in Son Of Tony 2. Church scene is extremely well shot with great visuals, music and even symbolism. And the same with the final fight with Goblin in SM1 which still holds up because it's really brutal for PG and was shot without excessive cartoonish CGI like most cbms today. That Mysterio scene is just another super generic CGI fest that looks more like an animated feature than a movie. And what surprised me someone claimed that scene was scary/horror which is just bs, it can scare only 5 year old.