Eric Duncan

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

24 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

How is 90m possible? People told me that because of the "bad stench" of the first one it wouldn't break 50m

As someone else said people severely underestimated how much the general audience enjoyed Venom 1.

I think if you like Venom the character then you probably enjoyed the Venom movie.

But if you don't then the movie is seen as trash. 

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Excellent for Venom, despite being bad it's a fun movie so that's why it doesn't lose audience. And also, obviously the connection with MCU help, everyone is talking about the post credit scene.

I think NTTD is coming for +70M, Eternals buzz seems considerably higher than SC so i really doubt it's going below at least 80M, and Dune seems to be tracking well at 35-40M so it can do good business too.

This next month is going to be great and hopefully will kill the dumb ideas of moving things (i'm looking at you Paramount).

Also, congratulations to Shang Chi for being the first +200M DOM in 20 months.

Actually I am happy that Paramount moves, the market is still fragile in the sense that we hardly have any 100m total weekend. The current market situation maybe just isn't big enough for all studio. So instead of everyone jump on bandwagon, causing cannibalisation among them, why not just space them up a little bit more so that every film can hit the total as high as possible, That is the most appropriate way to convince people that cinema is back alive.

You know hollywood have the tendency to draw wrong conclusion. If TG2 bombed, they will likely blame that cinema is dead, rather than too much competition at one time. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chicago said:

It was smart but I do feel Sony's first 3 Spiderman movies were much bigger deals than MCU's Spiderman. That will likely change with NWH though

Yeah the first two were critical and financial mega hits but there have been few bright spots for Sony ever since.

In fact the domestic numbers for Spider-man were steadily dropping after SM1 until Fiege stepped in.

7 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Can Venom beat SC domestically for total gross? 

International gross is a no-brainer.

I'm going to go with no. WOM won't be as good, and a lot more competition will be in its way. Also, SC first Monday was a holiday while Venom's won't be. So the gap after Monday will be under 10%. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This next month is going to be great and hopefully will kill the dumb ideas of moving things (i'm looking at you Paramount).

Does Paramount have money to even release movies these days, let alone make them?

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Can Venom beat SC domestically for total gross? 

International gross is a no-brainer.

Yes, that will be a no-brainer seeing how this weekend played out with growth on Saturday (vs true Friday) vs a fall...

That, and the true lack of "spook"/seasonal movies at the box office for October...

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

I'm going to go with no. WOM won't be as good, and a lot more competition will be in its way. Also, SC first Monday was a holiday while Venom's won't be. So the gap after Monday will be under 10%. 

Yeah I think it is more of a competition and loss of screens in the month of October. SC had a whole month to itself literally + OW had Monday holiday as you mentioned. studios would die for such a release date.

I think for Venom 2, WoM wouldn’t be an issue. People are intrigued and think it is part of MCU and curiosity factor is a key here.

can it have a 2.5x multiple from this OW despite all the competition? I am rooting for V2..

Edited by TigerPaw

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yes, that will be a no-brainer seeing how this weekend played out with growth on Saturday (vs true Friday) vs a fall...

That, and the true lack of "spook"/seasonal movies at the box office for October...

Growth on Saturday was always expected though? I don't know what that has to do with legs. The first one had a 2.67 multi with similar WoM and less competition, and without being a sequel.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Menor said:

Growth on Saturday was always expected though? I don't know what that has to do with legs. The first one had a 2.67 multi with similar WoM and less competition, and without being a sequel.

Not the type of growth it had - it just kept going bigger and bigger throughout the day...

A fall on Saturday or very low growth tends to indicate heavy supers fanbase only...Venom's growth showed GA strength and that will play into weekend 2 bookings/showings...it all becomes dominos.  More theaters keep it on more screens giving it more chances for more box office...

Heck, I was looking at my locals and they've all presold Sat/Sun Venom tickets for multiple showings NEXT weekend already...and Venom is the only movie from this weekend that already has screens available for next weekend...

Edited by TwoMisfits

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Not the type of growth it had - it just kept going bigger and bigger throughout the day...

A fall on Saturday or very low growth tends to indicate heavy supers fanbase only...Venom's growth showed GA strength and that will play into weekend 2 bookings/showings...it all becomes dominos.  More theaters keep it on more screens giving it more chances for more box office...

Heck, I was looking at my locals and they've all presold Sat/Sun Venom tickets for multiple showings NEXT weekend already...and Venom is the only movie from this weekend that already has screens available for next weekend...

Which of these factors didn't apply to the first? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Firepower said:

It's not debatable, every single scene I listed is much better than Mysterio scene in Son Of Tony 2.

I’m not involved in the spider man conversation, but who are you to say film quality is not debateable? 

Films are subjective.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Menor said:

Which of these factors didn't apply to the first? 

The lack of other holiday movies mentioned in my 1st post...

You're a bunch of college kids (since I have one now)...you want a spooky movie the next 2 weeks to all hang out at - what are you going to that's actually still available in theaters?

Venom didn't have that advantage of a October devoid of seasonal movies except for Halloween Kills and a bad Addams Family sequel...

PS - And Venom opened on the holiday weekend, so one weekend closer to Halloween...this Venom gets an extra bonus weekend for spook, as well...that also shows the strength of this Venom's open over the last one, b/c the last one had the Monday holiday...

Edited by TwoMisfits