Eric Atreides

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The lack of other holiday movies mentioned in my 1st post...

You're a bunch of college kids (since I have one now)...you want a spooky movie the next 2 weeks to all hang out at - what are you going to that's actually still available in theaters?

Venom didn't have that advantage of a October devoid of seasonal movies except for Halloween Kills and a bad Addams Family sequel...

PS - And Venom opened on the holiday weekend, so one weekend closer to Halloween...this Venom gets an extra bonus weekend for spook, as well...that also shows the strength of this Venom's open over the last one, b/c the last one had the Monday holiday...

I feel like Halloween Kills can fill that role. Yeah it's on Peacock but that's not a huge subscribed service, and horror tends to draw people to theaters. 

Edited by Menor

6 minutes ago, Menor said:

I feel like Halloween Kills can fill that role. Yeah it's on Peacock but that's not a huge subscribed service, and horror tends to draw people to theaters. 

Yep, in 2 weeks - but next weekend, when it's fall break everywhere, that's not out...but Venom is...

Venom is going over $250M - I'll call it now:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I think it's safe (as in it's absolute) that no matter what NTTD or Eternals do, NWH is going to win the opening weekend best for the year. It could very well open to over $200m. 

My question is, what film we be the one (post-pandemic) to open HIGHER than NWH? Let me hear your thoughts!

18 minutes ago, CJ Sarandos said:

I see that the Papa Keige joke was pulled from the title. I guess the MCU crybabies complained about it. I will drink all of their tears.

It didn't make much sense since Feige helped rebuild Sony's Spider-man. 

Ever since, the NWH trailer, Raimi fans have lost their minds. :hahaha:

4 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

So I think it's safe (as in it's absolute) that no matter what NTTD or Eternals do, NWH is going to win the opening weekend best for the year. It could very well open to over $200m. 

My question is, what film we be the one (post-pandemic) to open HIGHER than NWH? Let me hear your thoughts!

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

25 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’m not involved in the spider man conversation, but who are you to say film quality is not debateable? 

Films are subjective.

They are subjective to a point. Tech stuff is not that subjective, what you feel is subjective. You can claim anything, even that The Room is objectively better directed film than The Godfather, but this kind of hot take would cross the line between unpopular subjective opinion and madman statement for most people I think.

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

They are subjective to a point. Tech stuff is not that subjective, what you feel is subjective. You can claim anything, even that The Room is objectively better directed film than The Godfather, but this kind of hot take would cross the line between unpopular subjective opinion and madman statement for most people I think.

And who decides what is "objective"? "Most people"? Sounds like tyranny of the majority to me.

4 minutes ago, Firepower said:

We weren't talking about technical stuff tho.

6 minutes ago, Menor said:

And who decides what is "objective"? "Most people"? Sounds like tyranny of the majority to me.

Not tyranny, just common sense. The Room is not better directed film than The Godfather, every single person who's not completely insane agrees, it's objective enough.

Edited by Firepower

4 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Not tyranny, just common sense. The Room is not better directed film than The Godfather, every single person who's not completely insane agrees, it's objective enough.

What if my parameters on "better directed" are the type of direction that gives me maximal entertainment? Plenty of people are very entertained by The Room. How can you objectively say that I'm wrong to have those parameters? Even in this hyperbolic example you've chosen, there is no objectivity involved.

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

We weren't talking about technical stuff tho.

Why not? It's not a big secret that practical effects hold up better than CGI, especially when it's not very good and very excessive, and it very much affects quality.

Just now, Menor said:

What if my parameters on "better directed" are the type of direction that gives me maximal entertainment? Plenty of people are very entertained by The Room. How can you objectively say that I'm wrong to have those parameters? Even in this hyperbolic example you've chosen, there is no objectivity involved.

I'm not saying you can't be very entertained by The Room, many people are and I am, but by direction I obviously meant tech stuff which is not that subjective, not how you personally define it for yourself.

1 minute ago, Eric Soprano said:

Moderation

@Firepower this bit of yours about true objectivity and how you think you have the objective truth based on your own subjective opinions is getting old. Stop it.

So The Room is technically better made film than The Godfather? Got it.

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

33% drop for Sunday? Aggressive forecast

Actually not at all, Joker drop 24.9% on opening sunday when that movie had 24.8% jump from true friday.

Venom 2 up 23.3% from true friday to Saturday, which is actually "worse" than Joker. So a sub-30% drop isn't impossible since both are in 90m range.