Eric Duncan

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

16 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

In fairness, you have and have always held a double standard yourself for what is "being a dick" and not.  I seem to remember you outright trolling me when Clifford was pulled from the schedule.  That was somehow acceptable, because it was you.  

Either way, I've more than been nice or played by your rules since and haven't had an issue with anyone.  In fairness, you have had more fights back and forth with posters recently than I have.  

Also, pointing out that I was 1000% right while others shit all over what I was predicting as I backed it up with facts and data and some good ol' fashioned box office analysis isn't being a dick.  That was just facts as has been proven now.  

I don't need access to numbers to be good at what I do.  I'm really damn good at it because I work hard at it and have a damn good track record.  

Well, many folks, like me, have predicted Venom 2 would do well (although, even I, wouldn't have gone $90M - didn't think we were quite there with Covid, but, I'm happy to see we are)...that said, it's a super that appeals to young, diverse, and male....

If Bond matches Venom 2, or even comes within 10%, you'll be right...but if Bond sits in the high 50s/low 60s, with the holiday weekend as additional help, the box office still has a big problem in many demos...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Just now, wildphantom said:

Jurassic is going to open WAY bigger than Fallen Kingdom. The finale with the OT’s big three, AND they’re now walking among us off the island?! Honestly, I will be shocked if it doesn’t clear $200 million OW

Sounds like this should be a club, because I think it's dropping from FK. 

On 10/1/2021 at 4:50 PM, Krissykins said:

I can’t wait to see Titane! Have to wait 2 more weeks to see it here unfortunately. Have you seen it?

Yeah, it released in France a few months ago. Didn't quite connect with it, but it's a great film. 

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Why? 

Because it's the sequel to the highest grossing movie of all time. You won't feel it now, but when the marketing kicks in it's going to be everywhere, especially with Disney's marketing machine. 

1 hour ago, VenomXXR said:

A lot of y'all are gonna be disappointed by Avatar 2's numbers, that much is clear. 

It's statiscally more likely to be the opposite, if we go by Cameron's history. 

I doubt Avatar is going to debut that high, right now i'm thinking 120-140M.

And it doesn't need to, we all should know it's the legs which matter for this movie and it will deliver just like the first one.

Expecting Avatar to act like some stablished franchise on OW is setting up a disappointment, expect Avatar to not gross billions is also setting up a disappointment.

It's early to tell if this can surpass the first one, but it will be a smash and there's absolutely no evidence of the opposite (and don't even bring the stupid argument of "nobody talk about it" because there's nothing to talk about it).

No Time To Die has to match Spectre's OW. The question is how much above 70M can it go. I think pre-pandemic we were looking at a 100M OW so maybe 80M right now?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

Sounds like this should be a club, because I think it's dropping from FK. 

I’m really confident. Looking at all the huge movies coming next year, that’s the only one I’m personally certain will clear $200 million OW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

I doubt Avatar is going to debut that high, right now i'm thinking 120-140M.

And it doesn't need to, we all should know it's the legs which matter for this movie and it will deliver just like the first one.

Expecting Avatar to act like some stablished franchise on OW is setting up a disappointment, expect Avatar to not gross billions is also setting up a disappointment.

It's early to tell if this can surpass the first one, but it will be a smash and there's absolutely no evidence of the opposite (and don't even bring the stupid argument of "nobody talk about it" because there's nothing to talk about it).

It sounds to me like Avatars OW will be lowballed to the same extent Jurassic World was. Both sequels to the highest grossing movies in their current times. Avatar's OW adjusts to 90M today and it wasn't a pre established franchise so it would have to look really bad for it to go as low as 120-140m

The one market I'm interested in is China. The first one made 200m back when the market was 10% of what it is now so I wouldn't be surprised if it became Hollywood's biggest movie there 

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, many folks, like me, have predicted Venom 2 would do well (although, even I, wouldn't have gone $90M - didn't think we were quite there with Covid, but, I'm happy to see we are)...that said, it's a super that appeals to young, diverse, and male....

If Bond matches Venom 2, or even comes within 10%, you'll be right...but if Bond sits in the high 50s/low 60s, with the holiday weekend as additional help, the box office still has a big problem in many demos...

I respect your opinion on this, but Bond is going to perform.  We're back!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I’m really confident. Looking at all the huge movies coming next year, that’s the only one I’m personally certain will clear $200 million OW

I won't go on record yet, but agree with this.  JW3 is going to be a literal monster.  The shitty sequel or even the first JW has no bearing on this.  Bringing back the original cast and the footage I have seen already tells me this is going to be the hit of the summer.  

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I respect your opinion on this, but Bond is going to perform.  We're back!

Not fully back but mostly. 5-11 vaccine and shortly after 6 months to 4 will bring back to last families holding back like mine.

I still think we will have some studio-scaring bombs this month like Soho and Last Duel but I always thought that it were gonna be the big brands to hold 2021. For the rest, we have 2022.

Edited by CJ Sarandos

42 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I won't go on record yet, but agree with this.  JW3 is going to be a literal monster.  The shitty sequel or even the first JW has no bearing on this.  Bringing back the original cast and the footage I have seen already tells me this is going to be the hit of the summer.  

X Files GIF by The X-Files

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Ah yes, Dune and Matrix are on the same level as a Sopranos prequel.

I'm this close to just making Timothee fancams and bombarding all the Dune naysayers with them in a few weeks lol

• Haha 1