Eric Duncan

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

I won't go on record yet, but agree with this.  JW3 is going to be a literal monster.  The shitty sequel or even the first JW has no bearing on this.  Bringing back the original cast and the footage I have seen already tells me this is going to be the hit of the summer.  

There was only 2 people worth bringing back from the first, Jeff Goldblum they already did and the other guy is unfortunately no longer with us.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chicago said:

There was only 2 people worth bringing back from the first, Jeff Goldblum they already did and the other guy is unfortunately no longer with us.

Wayne Knight is still with us 

9 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Eternals doesn’t have any of their main characters attend a rave while covered in glow sticks though! For that reason alone I can see it opening below Venom 😂

How do you know 👀

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

I won't go on record yet, but agree with this.  JW3 is going to be a literal monster.  The shitty sequel or even the first JW has no bearing on this.  Bringing back the original cast and the footage I have seen already tells me this is going to be the hit of the summer.  

The ending of the second opens up some grand possibilities. I think it has a shot at #2 WW of 2022 (behind Avatar). 

Edited by Menor

9 hours ago, Assassin said:

The Many Saints of Newart is like WB's 6th flop in a row. They better pray Dune does amazingly well domestically

Rem+Malignant+Macho+Saints+TSS going under GvK from back when we still had serious capacity restrictions and few regales open :hahaha:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

So I think it's safe (as in it's absolute) that no matter what NTTD or Eternals do, NWH is going to win the opening weekend best for the year. It could very well open to over $200m. 

My question is, what film we be the one (post-pandemic) to open HIGHER than NWH? Let me hear your thoughts!

I mean, I will just be boring and say Wakanda Forever. I guess the other spicy-delusional answers are like:

Batman

DS2

Thor

JW3

CM2

A2

Unless I’m forgetting something. I guess Gotg3 or avengers 5 is also a possible answer depending on one’s mood.

• Like 1

I think Doctor Strange 2 can do it. I'm not sure The Batman will cross the 160 of BVS but Doctor Strange will have Spiderman bump, follows Wandavision and will be even crazier than No Way Home. It won't have the novelty factor and gimmick but if the leaks are legit... it is going to be a Marvel bonanza. And with Raimi, I'm hopeful it'll be visually exciting/different from usual MCU look 

So far the lowest opening to have a direct sequel open over 200M is AoU’s 191M. Doctor strange going straight from 85 to 200+ is a bit too much even for my blood — though there is some hope if you embrace the Civil War comp.    

TWS opened in 30th (current: 135.6M) and CW jumped all the way to 5th (current: 208.8M). DS1 was 64th (current: 97.4M) and would need to get 8th if NWH tops it earlier.

Edited by Let There Be Legion

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Doctor Strange is coming off from a very key role in 257M film and content of film are Avengers level threat, so...

Yeah obviously circumstances are quite unusual for sequel to 85M open. I think it will go 170+ and take March record, so I am not too far off. Bit even using CW and IM3 as comps the full +135% OW is a bit hard to stomach for now.

47 minutes ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

I think "Venom 2" is going to finish around 210 million $ in the US, and probably #4 on the Year End chart, behind "Spider-Man", "Eternals" and "No Time To Die".

Don’t forget Shang-Chi... Venom 2 would be 5th with your prediction

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

full +135% OW is a bit hard to stomach for now.

just random number and math. If it was just normal MCU sequel, then sure normal growth, but in here first film was low tier MCU while 2nd will be Mid tier (may be upper mid tier).

Besides from being absolute sort of no one during 1st film, DS is probably in top 5 Avengers at moment.

The films do usually par what these % growths suggest but they aren't bound by these.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

32 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Doctor Strange is coming off from a very key role in 257M film and content of film are Avengers level threat, so...

No one is going to see the threat as Avengers-level if all of the Avengers aren't involved.

I see a lot of parallels between DS1/DS2 and Thor 2/3. The sequels in each case are a team-up of two main Avengers (Thor/Hulk vs. Dr. Strange/Scarlett Witch) and the introduction of another hero (Valkyrie vs. Miss America).

Conveniently, DS1 and Thor 2 made virtually the same their first weekends.

Due to the events that have happened in the interim, I'd say that Thor: Ragnarok's gross is the floor for DS2, but I don't think it goes too much higher than that. I'd be very surprised if it goes above $150m.

25 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Taking Hotel Transylvania off the schedule and selling to Amazon was such a stupid move. Would've done well against Halloween Kills or Dune weekend. 

Sony will wipe their tears with their Venom 2 dollars.