Eric Atreides

VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE WEEKEND THREAD | 90.1M OW! Biggest pandemic opening!

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Russia it is. 

Had to check the thread, doesn’t look as if many here are interested. A projection of a $2.7m Friday? Doesn’t seem very exciting.

Generally, the UK to US equivalent ratio is 1:10.  Russia to US equivalent ratio is 1:7.5 on OW, no? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Had to check the thread, doesn’t look as if many here are interested. A projection of a $2.7m Friday? Doesn’t seem very exciting.

Generally, the UK to US equivalent ratio is 1:10.  Russia to US equivalent ratio is 1:7.5 on OW, no? 

This. Shame I'm all out of likes

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

ehh. Venom 2 Russia wins it. $225-250M equivalent.

if that doesn't interest you, there's a film in China literally opening to $200M.

China already have a film at 800m. They don't count lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

V2 will be 3rd-5th biggest weekend in Russia, USA equivalent of $208-257M.

NTTD will may be Top 10/15 of UK.

• ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

@charlie Jatinder have you got the biggest OW openers for Russia on hand? Maybe top five? 
Really interested in what you’re seeing over there for Venom so far…

Rank Title Weekend
1 Avengers: Infinity War ₽1,161,525,485
2 The Lion King ₽1,074,031,514
3 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales ₽1,050,065,474
4 Deadpool ₽964,374,983
5 Avengers: Endgame ₽963,196,346
6 Venom ₽952,597,387

Endgame released on Monday, first 4 days were 1650M. Just 7 years ago, 1B was roughly $30M, now barely $15M.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

V2 will be 3rd-5th biggest weekend in Russia, USA equivalent of $208-257M.

NTTD will may be Top 10/15 of UK.

I think you’re using a different equivalent than I am. 

£20m for Bond is the US equivelant of $200m. (x10). UK grosses are generally expected to be 10% of American grosses.  

Just because Venom is between 3rd-5th biggest weekends in Russia, doesn’t mean that it is between the grosses for those positions in America. 

Generally, the US equivelant for Russia is 7.5x. 

To reach a US equivelant of $208-257m, it would have to get a weekend of $27.7m-$34.3m. Hard to do with a $2.7m Friday surely? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

That's bit racist.

I mean because their market seems to work differently to the rest of the world so it's hard to compare with more established countries where we have a better understanding of the pandemic effect. China has been growing massively for the last 10 years so it's hard to keep track of what's impressive their at the moment.

49 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I think you’re using a different equivalent than I am. 

£20m for Bond is the US equivelant of $200m. (x10). UK grosses are generally expected to be 10% of American grosses.

I know that but you mean but 10x is just randomly assigned number by someone. 

US box office in a normal year is $11B while UK is GBP1.35B now. That's a ratio of 8.1x.

Biggest grosser in UK is GBP123M, USA is $936M, coincidentally same film, again around 7.6x.

If you wanna base it on admits, UK get 190M admits a year while USA get 1.2B, around 6.4x.
Number of cinemas in UK are 800 something while USA are 5600. Again around 7x.

If you really want an prefect equivalence, a $200M opener in US, should get around 3M admits in UK, i.e. 24-25M gross.

Ranking is another way of finding equivalent, perhaps best one. @Legion of the Ten Crores back me up here.

49 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Generally, the US equivelant for Russia is 7.5x

I think you are basing this from a post done in 2014 on forum. That was before Russian Ruble crashed. Now the ratio will be 16-17x in USD and 0.23x for local currency.

42 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

😂

Not the point lol. Stop trying to change the goal posts. At least you know what I mean now, I guess. 

There is no goalpost change. If you are gonna compare weekend, compare them with equivalents, can't have 3 days vs 4. What's next Spectre OW of 42M is $420M weekend equivalent?

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I know that but you mean but 10x is just randomly assigned number by someone. 

US box office in a normal year is $11B while UK is GBP1.35B now. That's a ratio of 8.1x.

Biggest grosser in UK is GBP123M, USA is $936M, coincidentally same film, again around 7.6x.

If you wanna base it on admits, UK get 170M admits a year while USA get 1.2B, around 7x.
Number of cinemas in UK are 800 something while USA are 5600. Again around 7x.

If you really want an prefect equivalence, a $200M opener in US, should get around 2.7M admits in UK, i.e. 24-27M gross.

Ranking is another way of finding equivalent, perhaps best one. @Legion of the Ten Crores back me up here.

I think you are basing this from a post done in 2014 on forum. That was before Russian Ruble crashed. Now the ratio will be 16-17x in USD and 0.23x for local currency.

There is no goalpost change. If you are gonna compare weekend, compare them with equivalents, can't have 3 days vs 4. What's next Spectre OW of 42M is $420M weekend equivalent?

3 days vs 4? Didn’t Venom open on Thursday in Russia and fall on Friday? Spectre’s opening was a 7 day gross, so obviously not.

In your UK vs US examples you’re including local films. 10 x has generally been used as a guide in UK vs US opening. It’s an expectation, not an exact science. It wasn’t a randomly assigned number by someone on this forum, it’s been used in UK box office articles for years in newspapers here. 

We’ll see what numbers the trades and Internet articles focus on this Sunday to settle which is most exciting/interesting :). Bond’s UK opening or Venom 2’s eh… Russia number. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

3 days vs 4? Didn’t Venom open on Thursday in Russia and fall on Friday? Spectre’s opening was a 7 day gross, so obviously not.

In your UK vs US examples you’re including local films. 10 x has generally been used as a guide in UK vs US opening. It’s an expectation, not an exact science. 

We’ll see what numbers the trades and Internet articles focus on this Sunday to settle which is most exciting/interesting :). Bond’s UK opening or Venom 2’s eh… Russia number. 

Can't we just agree it will be Venom's $100M DOM open?:)  

Okay, that one's a pipe dream...for now...but maybe not in 48 hours:)...

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Because everything open on THU in RUS. Can use FSS, but that will increase equivalence from 17x to further higher.

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

In your UK vs US examples you’re including local films. 10 x has generally been used as a guide in UK vs US opening. It’s an expectation, not an exact science. 

And US get foreign films which do big in US but not UK. Sure can remove them for perfect comp, that will take way more time than I had in answering that.

And sure 10x is there and it serves well, in fact I will say that 20M opener in UK is $200M in US equivalent in broader terms, but that 20M would be from FSS not 4, 5, 6, etc days.

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

We’ll see what numbers the trades and Internet articles focus on this Sunday to settle this :). Bonds UK opening or Venom 2’s eh… Russia number. 

Easy answer. Venom 2's US numbers.