Eric Atreides

IATSE Strike Discussion Thread | Deal ratified

11 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

You guys don't realize that post is clearly a joke

Jokes can still be dumb and worth dunking on tho.

Though, as I type this, you know, I only just realized that "IATSE" and "Eternals" was bolded in the tweet, meaning that the person who found this post likely searched for someone on Twitter to dunk on (it is possible someone flagged him about the tweet and he re-found it with the search terms).

Which, okay, dude made either a stupid post or a dumb joke, but, like, there's enough trolls out there that we don't need to go out of our way to find and dunk on them.,

(also, post is dumb coz Eternals is already picture locked and whatever editing needs to happen to get it ready for theaters has probably already happened)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

From Serandos to Chapek, eh?

Sarandos is toxic right now. Can't have that in my picture and feel good anymore. Chapek will give me the 2022 schedule day and date on Disney+ after The Last Duel debacle and be the great leader he was meant to be.

• Haha 5
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, CJ Chapek said:

Sarandos is toxic right now. Can't have that in my picture and feel good anymore. Chapek will give me the 2022 schedule day and date on Disney+ after The Last Duel debacle and be the great leader he was meant to be.

Not sure if I should Like for the first part of the statement which I agree or Disbelief for the day and date 2022 stuff.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CJ Chapek said:

red_october_reaction.gif?w=620

• Haha 7

Variety reporting some film crews are packing up,just in case. Not a good sign.

This will go right down to the wire.

If the studios think that a deal acceptable to the union will lessen their power, we can expect a long strike. The studio bosses will be willing to accept quite a bit of pain before giving up power.

Irony is, of course, if the unions get an acceptable deal, the films could still be delayed because the usual methods which studkos would use to hurry up post  production would be forbidden by the agreement.....

Edited by dudalb

The afore-mentioned article. 

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/film-and-tv-crews-strike-1235090748/

Variety reporting some film crews are packing up,just in case. Not a good sign.

It’s neither a bad or a good sign, it’s what IATSE recommended to all of us, since we may not have access to anything on Monday. That recommendation first came days ago, and was reiterated today. 

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 8

Be careful here, folks:

Negotiators for IATSE and Hollywood’s major studios are closing in on a deal that would avert a strike that threatened to shutter most film and TV production in Hollywood.

Industry sources said virtual negotiations between the sides went late into Friday night as Carol Lombardini, president of the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers bargaining organization for the major studios, addressed numerous IATSE leaders about the details of deals on thorny issues of working conditions that were sorted through in the marathon sessions.

Industry sources cited Walt Disney Television chief Peter Rice and veteran industry lawyer Ken Ziffren as key players who helped Lombardini bridge the gap during the past few days. Sources said Lombardini and Loeb both knuckled down on key items list with a mutual understanding that a strike would cripple the industry that is only now starting to recover from the shock of COVID.

Not saying this is wrong... Just that it might be one sided.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, john2000 said:

maybe , but variety was right last time so...

All I am saying is that this appears to be the industry side saying they are close to a deal.  I've seen too many labor fights in my day to count any chickens until they've actually hatched.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable if it even hinted at any sort of sourcing from IATSE that their issues are being addressed (I'm aware of other news stories commenting on IATSE being "encouraged" by the direction of talks).

To put it another way, remembering that Variety doesn't have to exactly be lying here to still be influenced by who they're talking to isn't a bad stance to take.

Or to put it in an Old School Way:  Trust... But Verify. 👍 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2