Eric Atreides

IATSE Strike Discussion Thread | Deal ratified

What films could be moved into the December spots, if necessary?

A lot of the Jan and Feb releases are not Holiday type releases, and some of them are, frankly, being dumped.

Someone mentioned Top GUn Maverick but do we know if that is finished or still has some post work to be done?

But I support the workers 100%.

But if the studios thinks making a deal here is going to mean all the other guilds are going to be making big demands next year, that might be a incentive for the studio to stand firm.

If you want a vague idea of what crunch time can mean in post. watch the section of the making of documentary in the Appendeces of LOTR:The Return of the King Entended Edition that covers post production. Yes, it probably santisises what happened quite a bit, but still you get that nobody was having much fun in the last days of post on ROTK. I am sure it got much nastier then what they showed.

ROTK cut it as close to the wire as you can and avoid disaster; They were doing work on the film just a few hours before the locked, finished negative  had to be on the plane to LA for the process of making the prints to begin if the release date was to met...often called Drop Dead day .

Edited by dudalb

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Ok wtf is happening here? Will someone please brief me. Like what are the demands and etc.

On 10/4/2021 at 7:16 PM, Plain Old Tele said:

One of the issues: the studios have always claimed streaming is “new media” — an “experiment” that could totally fail and isn’t guaranteed to be a money-maker at all. (They actually refuse to call it streaming in the negotiation offers). “New Media” usually means crews work for lower rates and the studios don’t have to pay into the healthcare & pension system. Any streamer with less than 20m subs falls into this special category (so Netflix is exempt but Apple, Peacock, etc can take advantage of it.)

Work and lunch breaks are an issue too. The companies are required to break for a meal every six hours… or pay meal penalties to the crew. Problem is, some productions now just say fuck it and pay the meal penalties without giving people a break. (Worth pointing out here that in their early round of negotiations the studios wanted to *reduce* meal penalty costs.)

Another issue is turnaround — basically how much of a break you get between workdays. It depends on the local, but most crew are on 9 or 10-hour turnaround. So if you wrap at 10pm, your call time the next day would be 7am or 8am… but it doesn’t take into account commute time or how many days you’ve worked consecutively. So if you’re shooting 90 minutes away from where you live, you wrap at 10pm, go home around 11:30, to wake up at 5am to get back to location by call time. To make it worse, when you’re on location and get a precious day off, companies often schedule that day as a “company move” day… so your “day off” might be at the airport, trying to sleep in between flights. Then there’s “Fraturdays”, where Friday is a split day or night shoot and you wrap at 6am on a Saturday, meaning by the time you’re home and get some sleep, you’ve lost most of one of your days off. 

People have put up with this shit for decades, but the recent solidarity campaign on social media has really opened people’s eyes as to how systemic this all is. 

On top of this, these 3-year contracts usually offer some small pay raise. 

There’s some formal info here:

https://www.basicagreement.iatse.net

And @ia_stories on Twitter and Instagram is where people are sharing work experiences anonymously. 

Press coverage here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/10/04/hollywood-strike-vote-production-workers/

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-10-04/iatse-strike-hollywood-crews-contract-labor-negotiations

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Any streamer with less than 20m subs falls into this special category (so Netflix is exempt but Apple, Peacock, etc can take advantage of it.)

Also Disney, HBO right? Since they have 20M+ subs.

Meal breaks? Why is this an issue at all in today's age. Like duh you need a meal break once in 8 hour work shift at least. That's bad if studios aren't giving meal breaks, and sorta hard to believe.

Turn around issue seems bad. More than meal break.

But all of these issues seems like shouldn't exist in first place. Will like to hear studio side of things too now because it couldn't be THAT bad.

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Meal breaks? Why is this an issue at all in today's age. Like duh you need a meal break once in 8 hour work shift at least. That's bad if studios aren't giving meal breaks, and sorta hard to believe.

But all of these issues seems like shouldn't exist in first place. Will like to hear studio side of things too now because it couldn't be THAT bad.

Knowing people who've worked as PA and crew members... trust me, it's a lot worse 

Remember Cats in 2019? The news of the VFX team being overworked to the premiere without proper incentives

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Knowing people who've worked as PA and crew members... trust me, it's a lot worse 

Remember Cats in 2019? The news of the VFX team being overworked to the premiere without proper incentives

Sonic and Sausage Party are also recent examples of VFX teams being overworked without compensation.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Meal breaks? Why is this an issue at all in today's age.

The stop and restart for this kind of giant boat can be a big deal with how high the cost are, making this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_hours#:~:text="French hours" is a term,to steal moments to eat.

And the nature of the work that tend to generated natural many short break for everyone that make possible to eat without official break for it, somewhat popular and natural.

I could imagine many shoot cost (price for renting cameras, location and so on) being daily fix and not hours fixed creating a large incentive to very long days with short break and turn around, combined that crew are paid a lot and usually does not work 50 week a year (or they would make an actual fortune for those who do) possible for those things to be common to happen.

Edited by Barnack

8 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

You are as bad as that guy on twitter with Hulk photo :-(

You should read some stories on https://www.instagram.com/p/CU4CLwGrO_Y/

Its way worse than even what Tele posted. Strike has to happen and fuck spiderman. 

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

You are as bad as that guy on twitter with Hulk photo 😞

You should read some stories on https://www.instagram.com/p/CU4CLwGrO_Y/

Its way worse than even what Tele posted. Strike has to happen and fuck spiderman. 

Just in case my words mislead, I am in favour of workers getting just wages and working conditions. What I meant was that its hard to believe that something basic like meal break is being asked in this date. That's really bad on studios.

Hopefully all parties win.

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Just in case my words mislead, I am in favour of workers getting just wages and working conditions. What I meant was that its hard to believe that something basic like meal break is being asked in this date. That's really bad on studios.

Hopefully all parties win.

Studio always wins. Here thanks to social media this has blown up in its face.