Eric Atreides

IATSE Strike Discussion Thread | Deal ratified

7 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Tech companies are so cash rich that they wont worry about it.

jon stewart crying GIF

Perhaps not as much as other studios, but they have *several* projects in production and the effects will be felt if they get put on hold.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Netflix is the opposite of cash rich 

They used to be cash flow negative couple of years ago but not anymore. They are setting on $7.778B end of last quarter. They can definitely afford to wait for a while if it benefits them long term. As posted previously some of the smaller studios could go bust and they could buy some content for cheap making up for loss of new content short term. 

17 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Netflix is the opposite of cash rich 

I doubt Netflix of all companies has big issue getting their hands on cash

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/NFLX/netflix/cash-on-hand

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/CMCSA/comcast/cash-on-hand

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/VIAC/viacomcbs/cash-on-hand

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/SONY/sony/cash-on-hand

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/DIS/disney/cash-on-hand

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/T/at-t/cash-on-hand

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/LGF.A/lions-gate-entertainment/cash-on-hand

Last quarter up:

Netflix: 7.7 billion

At&t: 11.89 billion

Liongates: 0.25billion

Viacom: 5.4b

Comcast: 12.3b

Disney: 16b

Sony: 19.5B

They even started stockbuy back, I think:

https://ycharts.com/companies/NFLX/stock_buyback

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/04/25/netflixs-5-billion-buyback-plan-doesnt-make-any-se/

Which should be a sign of having a lot of cash in hands

Of the streaming giants, it's Amazon that I would watch.  They are the interesting case when it comes to content production versus Scrooge McDuck Money Bin.  Netflix really isn't in the same league as Amazon and Apple when it comes to "Being able to hang up the phone on Kevin Feige who pleads with them to stop the strike and laugh about it in the board room" level of stinking rich.

Apple is interesting in a different direction.  They aren't so rich anymore that they could buy out Disney with cash on hand like they could have a while ago, but they're really stinking rich.  On the other hand, they've been playing a slightly different game than the other streaming outfits, including going after Prestige Names in Hollywood.  Would they be willing to burn bridges there in La La Land all to crush the peons who work for them?  Amazon, I could see it.  Apple?  Well, yeah, I could also see it.  Do tend to think they have slightly different priorities than Amazon or even Netfilx, so they're kinda a wildcard here.

• Like 1

The thing is, we’re not negotiating with all of them separately. They need to figure out collectively what they want to do, because it’s literally dozens and dozens and dozens of production entities and the AMPTP represents *all* of them so it’s not like one or two can decide to do something on their own. 

For many many years it’s been the AMPTP that’s managed to have a united front while IATSE’s been disorganized or at odds. Now the shoe’s on the other foot. 

• Like 6

Just now, WittyUsername said:

I don’t really understand why these big studios can’t just swallow their pride and give the IATSE what they want. Why would they be willing to grind all their productions to a halt just because they don’t want to allow for better working conditions? 

That would be opening a pandora box for next set of negotiations in 2023. Obviously they want to avoid that. That said I hope they blink after universal support for IATSE.

The other major wildcard here is simply World Outlook.  I don't think it can be understated just how alien the idea of unions is to most tech giants.  Not even hostility to the concept (though that's there of course), but it is almost completely outside their frame of reference.

Almost all of these tech companies were startups in the Wild Wild West of Tech founded and nurtured by anti-social tech bros that took their societal cues from Silicon Valley that just have a completely different worldview when it comes to working hours and workplace culture.  I mentioned "crunch mode" a while back not just to make an arch observation about NWH, but to draw a perhaps subtle comparison for what the overlords over at Apple and Amazon expect from their workers.

And once you add Scrooge McDuck level of wealth to the equation...

Not even sure this anathema to the concept of unions is that big of a factor, but I do think it is a contributing one.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t really understand why these big studios can’t just swallow their pride and give the IATSE what they want. Why would they be willing to grind all their productions to a halt just because they don’t want to allow for better working conditions? 

How much would it cost them to agree with their demands and that represent what % of their expected margin ? Without talking for reverberating consequence for employee not covered it can be indirectly lifted.

Edited by Barnack

3 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

The thing is, we’re not negotiating with all of them separately. They need to figure out collectively what they want to do, because it’s literally dozens and dozens and dozens of production entities and the AMPTP represents *all* of them so it’s not like one or two can decide to do something on their own. 

For many many years it’s been the AMPTP that’s managed to have a united front while IATSE’s been disorganized or at odds. Now the shoe’s on the other foot. 

While you're right, I would also draw an analogy to labor fights in sports.  When owners are divided and there is a faction hell bent on breaking a union/getting something they want, that faction can stop labor peace from happening since it does require a high level of unanimity to stop a strike.

Like if the tech giants that are a part of AMPTP wouldn't exactly be sad with a strike, they can, if not sabotage negotiations, not exactly bend over backwards to help a deal get made.

Thinking of the baseball strikes in the 80s and 90s mostly here when you had a faction of owners hell bent on breaking the baseball union in pursuit of a salary cap.

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2021/10/hollywood-strike-date-iatse-producers-1234855030/

The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers issued a statement Wednesday in response to IATSE’s strike date, saying, “There are five whole days left to reach a deal, and the studios will continue to negotiate in good faith in an effort to reach an agreement for a new contract that will keep the industry workin

lets see

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

While you're right, I would also draw an analogy to labor fights in sports.  When owners are divided and there is a faction hell bent on breaking a union/getting something they want, that faction can stop labor peace from happening since it does require a high level of unanimity to stop a strike.

Like if the tech giants that are a part of AMPTP wouldn't exactly be sad with a strike, they can, if not sabotage negotiations, not exactly bend over backwards to help a deal get made.

Thinking of the baseball strikes in the 80s and 90s mostly here when you had a faction of owners hell bent on breaking the baseball union in pursuit of a salary cap.

Sure, but you run the risk of extraordinarily pissing off those who you work with on other deals. 

Then again, I know nothing about high-end management. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The other major wildcard here is simply World Outlook.  I don't think it can be understated just how alien the idea of unions is to most tech giants.  Not even hostility to the concept (though that's there of course), but it is almost completely outside their frame of reference.

Almost all of these tech companies were startups in the Wild Wild West of Tech founded and nurtured by anti-social tech bros that took their societal cues from Silicon Valley that just have a completely different worldview when it comes to working hours and workplace culture.  I mentioned "crunch mode" a while back not just to make an arch observation about NWH, but to draw a perhaps subtle comparison for what the overlords over at Apple and Amazon expect from their workers.

And once you add Scrooge McDuck level of wealth to the equation...

Not even sure this anathema to the concept of unions is that big of a factor, but I do think it is a contributing one.

Yah. Tech companies dont believe in the concept of reasonable work hours. Elon Musk said recently that nothing is achieved working 8-5 M-F. Most startups joke about following Alibaba model of 9-9-6 (9AM-9PM Mon-Sat). They keep the employee at office by giving them free food and other perks. Of course tech folks are paid a lot (Basic Pay, Bonus, RSU, ESPP etc). But even at worst they get meal breaks and other perks. This is lot worse. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, john2000 said:

https://deadline.com/2021/10/hollywood-strike-date-iatse-producers-1234855030/

The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers issued a statement Wednesday in response to IATSE’s strike date, saying, “There are five whole days left to reach a deal, and the studios will continue to negotiate in good faith in an effort to reach an agreement for a new contract that will keep the industry workin

lets see

Reading into social media posts, not a single reasonable deal has been proposed so far from AMPTP. What do you think of % chance of some magic happening in next 4 days. 

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Reading into social media posts, not a single reasonable deal has been proposed so far from AMPTP. What do you think of % chance of some magic happening in next 4 days. 

i mean i cant really say its up to the studios, but in any case i cant see a scenario where this last weeks its not to anyones interest

Edited by john2000
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

To be clear, no one outside of the various respective negotiating committees knows any of the various proposed details. 

• Like 2