Eric Atreides

IATSE Strike Discussion Thread | Deal ratified

2 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

I'm willing to sacrifice @Porthos to the IATSE gods for a deal by Sunday.

Brian Cox Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO

You mean I wouldn't have to spend all that time on tracking reports or deal with interminable bitching about SW here?

Okay, but what's the sacrifice part exactly as this sounds like a pretty sweet deal. 

• Haha 5
  • Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

You mean I wouldn't have to spend all that time on tracking reports or deal with interminable bitching about SW here?

Okay, but what's the sacrifice part exactly as this sounds like a pretty sweet deal. 

No more me.

• Like 1

If there is a deal that addresses fundamental issues and we dont have a strike, its fantastic. But I will believe it when I see it. As multiple posts addressed, media will be used to spread misinformation to put pressure on IATSE. They should NOT yield to these tactics. They must ensure all the issues addressed like reasonable pay, meal breaks, reasonable work schedule and ridiculous new media stuff is taken care. 

For now I would not quote Variety/HR as source of truth. They are ridiculous source of propaganda. @john2000

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

If there is a deal that addresses fundamental issues and we dont have a strike, its fantastic. But I will believe it when I see it. As multiple posts addressed, media will be used to spread misinformation to put pressure on IATSE. They should NOT yield to these tactics. They must ensure all the issues addressed like reasonable pay, meal breaks, reasonable work schedule and ridiculous new media stuff is taken care. 

For now I would not quote Variety/HR as source of truth. They are ridiculous source of propaganda. @john2000

Propaganda is a bit of a stretch. 

18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

giphy.gif

Tell you what.  I'll figure out how to cross wire a psychic hotline into the setup here so we can continue to chat. 👍

Sounds good.  I will get he fire wood for the pyre.  @Plain Old Tele  We're burning Porthos TONIGHT.

• Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, Cap said:

Sounds good.  I will get he fire wood for the pyre.  @Plain Old Tele  We're burning Porthos TONIGHT.

gt3hmyyvwsae9k0hbjyh.png

Heh heh heh.... :ph34r:

EDIT:::

For those who may not recognize/remember the scene, some context [spoilered]:

Spoiler

wrPXpac.png

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I don't think this is very good news unless you just wanted, like, Spiderman to release on time. Seems like the most minor compromise that will just cause longer damage to the workers

idk really what you mean, if IATSE thinks that the deal is not good enough then they will strike while if the deal really happens then the logic says that the they thought that this deal was what they wanted.I am not really into this , just my thoughts in terms of how things are happening.Also why exactly you bring spiderman to this thread ?

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, john2000 said:

idk really what you mean, if IATSE thinks that the deal is not good enough then they will strike while if the deal really happens then the logic says that the they thought that this deal was what they wanted.I am not really into this , just my thoughts in terms of how things are happening.Also why exactly you bring spiderman to this thread ?

That's not the logic at all. i don't see any statement detailing this is the deal they wanted

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

That's not the logic at all. i don't see any statement detailing this is the deal they wanted

so you really think that they will make a deal that they think its bad ? ok i guess

ps @Plain Old Tele wanna comment on that ? as someone with more knowledge 

Edited by john2000

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

What statement do you see detailing it's NOT the deal they want? Seems like you're just rambling to ramble...

• Like 1

Just now, VenomXXR said:

What statement do you see detailing it's NOT the deal they want? Seems like you're just rambling to ramble...

we dont know yet if the deal will happen, but regardless of that i  would imagine that IATSE its not going to agree to terms they dont see fit

Just now, Plain Old Tele said:

Nobody knows anything about the details of any deal, rumored or otherwise. Selective details being leaked to the press are basically meaningless right now. 

The union won’t agree to a deal that it feels isn’t equitable. Further, any deal would need to be ultimately ratified by the IATSE members. 

thats what i am saying , see ?  @BestPicturePlutoNash

I don’t think someone as prominent as Rice is going to attach his name to something like this unless it’s inevitable. 

Also I don’t think we’re going to hear a peep from iatse until the deal is sealed. It serves them no purpose to make statements. Meanwhile the studios do have incentive to tide over their business partners. 

I don’t see anything controversial in one sided reporting regarding this situation. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I don't think this is very good news unless you just wanted, like, Spiderman to release on time. Seems like the most minor compromise that will just cause longer damage to the workers

We don't know that though. 

2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Further, any deal would need to be ultimately ratified by the IATSE members. 

Been wondering if I should comment on this possibility, but since you brought it up I guess it's fair game.

This is an important consideration.  It doesn't happen all too often, but occasionally the negotiators in a room misread what is acceptable for give-and-take in negotiations and when they get to the rank-and-file a deal gets rejected if too many people feel not enough was gained (or too much given away).

I think there might be a slightly heightened possibility for this given the sheer breath and depth of the strike authorization vote.  One doesn't get near 100% authorization and 90% return rate on votes unless a lot of people are really cheesed off.

And when enough people are honked off, the possibility for some of them to get radicalized/press for more concessions... Well it's happened before is all I'm gonna say.

Now this is counter-balanced by the plain fact that lots of folks are in the biz in the first place because they love the field.  Still...  This ain't over until we start seeing reactions to any mooted deal. If a deal comes to pass by the deadline, of course.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/hollywood-strike-averted-iatse-amptp-reach-agreement-on-new-film-tv-contract-1234850563/

EXCLUSIVE: With Hollywood on edge and picket signs at the ready, IATSE and the AMPTP have reached an agreement on a new film and TV contract, averting a threatened nationwide strike.

The new three-year contract, which must now be ratified by the union’s members, comes just hours before the deadline – midnight Sunday – imposed by IATSE president Matthew Loeb.

“It took a lot to get here, but this is a good deal, a fair deal for everyone concerned,” an individual close to the sometimes strained negotiations told Deadline once all the final contract language was agreed on Saturday. “Time to break out the cigars,” he added

With many of the larger issues resolved late this week, today’s talks saw IATSE and the AMPTP going over several smaller-but-vital matters, we hear. Once that was settled, the administrative component had to be dealt with, as the deal was actually typed up for all to look over one final time.

Though the tentative deal was reached before the deadline this weekend, and things actually really started coming together midday Friday, the situation remained in a state of flux almost right up to the final hours. Union officials were cautioning members about getting too optimistic. “Even though we are still at the bargaining table trying to get an agreement, at the time of this writing, there are no plans to call off the strike,” said an email that went out to members of Local 80 late on October 15.updating them on talks and preparations for the 12:01 AM October 18 set labor action.

The hard-fought agreement came after two final weeks of intense bargaining, as members prepared to shut the industry down if they had to. The two sides had been talking, on and off, since mid-May. But the discussions became much more urgent two weeks ago, when the members voted overwhelmingly to authorize Loeb to call a strike if these last-ditch efforts failed to produce an acceptable deal.

On Wednesday, the union boss declared that the studios, networks, and streamers still weren’t taking the union’s demands seriously enough, saying that “the pace of bargaining doesn’t reflect any sense of urgency.”

The AMPTP, however, said all along that it remained “committed to making a deal.”

To that end, not long after the 98% strike authorization vote result was announced on October 4, industry elders super lawyer Ken Ziffren, Disney TV boss Peter Rice and DGA executive national director Jay Roth  joined the talks. The power trio offered their consul to both sides in an effort to cool the increasingly heated temperature in the virtual negotiations, with phone calls and Zoom chats flying at a furious pace over the past 72 hours.

The union’s chief goals were livable wages for the lowest paid crafts; more turnaround time between workdays; actual meal breaks; a rescue of the union’s ailing pension and health plan, and a bigger share of the revenue from streaming shows.

If the red line had been crossed in the early hours of Monday, a national strike would have the first in the 60,000 member strong IATSE’s 128-year history.

Now, Hollywood will be heading back to work on Monday. Also, union members will be heading to the ballot box in the next few days to give or refuse their stamp of approval to today’s deal.

Last part is important so will highlight it: Now, Hollywood will be heading back to work on Monday. Also, union members will be heading to the ballot box in the next few days to give or refuse their stamp of approval to today’s deal.

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 9