Kalo

The Wheel of Time | Amazon Prime | Adaption of Robert Jordan's expansive fantasy epic

Apparently this is the first minute of the series? Eh...was hoping the opening scene would be something a bit more eye-catching. This feels...idk, lacking energy a bit? Just not a huge hook to start the show. 

Spoiler

"We don't know if he was reborn as a boy or a girl. "  So...they are making this change. Was hoping it was just Aes Sedai talk. 

6 minutes ago, Eternal Legion said:

Already find myself hoping "maybe they'll do it better next time," which is... not a great sign 😂

But also, pretty premature. I'll give them at least a season's worth of benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, there are some other rumored (nearly confirmed) changes which are really concerning to me, will see if it looks better on screen.

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

Yeah, there are some other rumored (nearly confirmed) changes which are really concerning to me, will see if it looks better on screen.

Step 1: Find a source material you think is appealing

step 2: ignore a bunch of its choices

The science of Hollywood adaptation 

There are certain things from the books that I absolutely have no issues with them changing because they just won't fly in 2020s visual media.

But changing the nature of the Dragon reincarnation, unless it's a massive misdirect, really betrays the gender politics themes of the novels. Much of what Jordan did was to highlight the autocratical tyranny of patriarchal systems by flipping them on their head.

Of course there's some super cringe male power fantasy as well that creeps in, but the rumors I've seen a little of don't deal with changing that stuff

3 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

There are certain things from the books that I absolutely have no issues with them changing because they just won't fly in 2020s visual media

Think I know what you’re talking about here and agree completely.

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Of course there's some super cringe male power fantasy as well that creeps in, but the rumors I've seen a little of don't deal with changing that stuff

Think I know what you’re talking about here as well and disagree with the characterization.

2 hours ago, Eternal Legion said:

So what is the spoiler policy here anyway? Talking about comic source material untagged is free game in CBM threads afaik, not sure what the deal was for the GoT thread.

For GoT any book spoilers needed to be tagged

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Premiere is today so should be getting a lot of "best show ever" reactions shortly :hahaha:

There are also a lot of fan screenings taking place tonight, will probably look to those for an early view on fan reaction. 

I am very curious because I'm sure fans will have PLENTY of takes about changes

• Like 1