Kalo

The Wheel of Time | Amazon Prime | Adaption of Robert Jordan's expansive fantasy epic

Overall I think the first three episodes are fine, but you can see the seams and stretch marks from being forced to do this in 8 episodes. The third episode slows things down a bit and breathes a little. 

There's also a couple aspects that the show just drops ball completely on. The actual entry into and walking around Shadar Logoth felt appropriately ominous and creepy, but Mashadar was not done well at all.

• Like 1

Third episode was significantly better. I actually felt like the world had more scope instead of just a series of locations, some much-needed slower pace. I still feel like this show is not living up to its potential, but I have made peace with this show not really being the adaptation I wanted. This episode at least gave me more hope that it will be watchable. 

Spoiler

Thom stealing Mat's money was a bit weird, since he gave it back I guess it works but just...odd. Also not a fan of his song, it didn't sound regal like a court bard would sing (would have preferred him singing the Hunt of the Horn song and started to introduce that worldbuilding as well). Burying the Aiel was a really nice moment, I liked the exposition we got for them as well, and it felt like something Thom would do.

Rand was much better this episode. He felt like Rand again. 

Dagger Mat is dagger Mat. 

Innkeeper being a Darkfriend worked well. 

I liked Egwene and Perrin's plotline, contrary to some reactions to this episode I've seen. I like that they're slowly building up Perrin's connection to the wolves. Still think it would have been better to have Elyas involved in some capacity, having a mentor figure helps the audience understand what's going on. 

Nynaeve and Lan butting heads was nice. 

The landscape shots in this series continue to be really good, I just wish the actual sets had more life to them. Most of the locations just feel like "generic medieval fantasy place." Hoping Tar Valon looks better when we get there. 

Logain has arrived, hopefully he is well done. 

On 11/16/2021 at 12:54 PM, 4815162342 said:

I think 10 episodes would have been fine for this. There are definitely parts you can condense but it seems like they went a bit overboard in the first segment of the novel.

Yup, I agree, GoT had 10 why can't this. you be surprised what they could do with an extra 2hrs.

Anyways I'm 2 episodes in. Episode 1 was good, but there was a lot of changes I didn't care for. the best thing so far about this show is the casting imo. pretty much everyone is spot on so far. 

first off the scenery is gorgeous, I like the score, but feel it could use some more traditional beats. 

Everything felt too rushed, Winter's night was not even mentioned which is odd since that is basically what happened.

Don't know why Moraine reveals herself right away as an Aye Sadai. takes a lot of the whimsical mysteriousness about her entrance into the town away.

The battle at the end of the episode was too long, and not the best visually, the villagers would not have been able to hold their own like that against some monsters they didn't even believe existed minutes before. wish they had more Rand discovering the whole town was attacked after his dad being injured would have had a greater shock impact. could have saved on budget and added more urgency at the end of the episode.  

I REALLY did not like that Perron was married and then kills his wife on accident o nthe first episode. (although it is used in Ep 2 in a better light, still necessary though) 

Egwane's "coming of age being pushed off a cliff into a raging river makes no sense. seems really dangerous and reckless if that's what they do to every girl who comes of age there.

I don't know why they made Moraine think the dragon reborn could be a woman, the whole point of the dragon reborn is the fact that it is man- who are all tainted by the darkness. that takes a lot of tension out of it.

I did really like Mat's intro and thought it actually improved from the book, Moraine and Lan were perfect together. 

but overall I was disappointed with ep 1.

BUT... Ep 2 was a vast improvement. in almost every way mostly because they pretty much STICK to the book here. shadow logath was pretty much spot on, it slowing down a bit and actually focusing on the characters really helped. like I said this cast is great so I really hope they get some better writers for season 2 and 3. because it would be really a waste otherwise. 

EP 1. 6.5/10 Ep 2 9/10

Edited by Kalo

As someone who hasn't read the books i found the first 3 episodes pretty solid. Not quite A level but it does have some nice moments. Didn't feel rushed to me, probably because i don't know all the book stuff they left out.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Elessar said:

As someone who hasn't read the books i found the first 3 episodes pretty solid. Not quite A level but it does have some nice moments. Didn't feel rushed to me, probably because i don't know all the book stuff they left out.

In terms of non-readers I think there's some background details that absolutely should have been included to convey to non-readers why certain things are a big deal.

But I'm pretty sure a few of the things skipped over will be circled back to. Episode 4 with Logain (the guy in the prison cart at the end of episode 3) should hit some of the background knowledge that's essential.

• Like 1

Inject new big-budget fantasy directly into my veins please. Always.

Will likely watch this soon. I have no idea what it is or what it is about except magic, medieval stuff, and costumes and weird werewolf-like monsters.

Love Rosamund Pike because who doesn't. I hope it's good

On 11/21/2021 at 10:29 AM, Eternal Legion said:

7,4 and dropping does not seem auspicious. Will be interested in the Nielsen nums at least.

Feel like there is some trolls afoot there. most of my problems with the show have to do with changing from the book. it is a good show so far. 7.4 is really low for a brand new show. IGN gave the first three episodes a 9. 

After watching all 3 twice. I like the third episode more than at first. I liked Thom Marrilin's intro more than the book. and the focus on Mat is nice. good to get this much early on. the Bar Maid was a bit annoying but alas she ended up being a dark friend anyways.

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Episode 4, now we're cooking with gas.

That said I'm wary of how they're going to cover the rest of the book in only 4 episodes

Episode 4 was great! best episode so far.  I think they can do it with 4 more, but it's gonna be tight. 

Have been reading the books currently on the dragon reborn and loving them so far.

The show started fine ,the first 2 were rushed but 3 slowed things down and 4 was fantastic for the most part. It gave me some hope they can pull  of the ending the rest of the 4 episodes.

But it saddens me to say my hope in that has been severely hampered.

This current episode as a book reader was so bad,was so rushed ,dialogue was sort of stilted and oh God liaindrin dialogue  in this episode was beyond cringe inducing . introduction of loial and his look was ridiculous. Loved the voice though.

Perrin and egwene subplot didn't make much sense and was beyond rushed.

This episode was a massive stepdown . 

I can't believe I'm saying this but nynaeve is my best character in this series so far followed by mat. I've been putting this off but oh boy is rand just bland..

The amount of times I had  to pause and groan in this episode .was severely dissapointed.

But according to the showrunner ,Sanderson liked 6 so who knows it may bounce back but I'm really doubting getting a satisfactory conclusion to the first book. 

Ep1- 6/10

Ep2 - 6.5/10

Ep3 - 7.5/10

Ep4 - 9/10

Ep5 - 4/10

Edited by Liiviig 1998

Yeah mixed for me as well. After episodes 3 and 4 found a good pace, this is rushed again. Loial looks weird though the performance seems on target. Spending too much time on extraneous things though and using Tar Valon instead of Caemlyn I think was just a bad idea in general. 

Next week's episode is (by rumor) the best of the first six, I am confident it will improve there, but I'm worried about the last two episodes. Because the next episode will surely spend a lot of time in Tar Valon with Siuan taking center stage. 

Spoiler

There's a lot of plot in Fal Dara/Blight/The Eye that needs to be covered. Plus I'm worried about where Min will be introduced. Seemed like this was the episode to introduce her. If they introduce her as a Shienaran...that will be awful. 

• Like 1