Kalo

The Wheel of Time | Amazon Prime | Adaption of Robert Jordan's expansive fantasy epic

On 11/30/2021 at 9:46 PM, Ozymandias said:

This show is ass

unfortunately i gotta finish it now since its already half over

This show continues to be pretty bad, thankfully theres only 1 episode left.  I haven't read the books and don't know anything about, but I've heard the name "The Wheel of Time" an awful lot when it comes to high end fantasy.  The the writing in this show sucks balls, its like nothing has time to breath(character motivations and actions are very rushed, underdeveloped, and forced) and I don't think any of the actors are particularly good either, especially the lead white guy I don't even know his name.  The only thing that stands out about this show are the obvious strides for diversity in every frame with nothing else getting as much attention.

Like damn, should we be concerned about Lord of the Rings now?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

This show continues to be pretty bad, thankfully theres only 1 episode left.  I haven't read the books and don't know anything about, but I've heard the name "The Wheel of Time" an awful lot when it comes to high end fantasy.  The the writing in this show sucks balls, its like nothing has time to breath(character motivations and actions are very rushed, underdeveloped, and forced) and I don't think any of the actors are particularly good either, especially the lead white guy I don't even know his name.  The only thing that stands out about this show are the obvious strides for diversity in every frame with nothing else getting as much attention.

Like damn, should we be concerned about Lord of the Rings now?

The show doesn’t even deserve to have the same title as the books, they are like completely different narratives and settings at this point.   

Yes, we should be concerned about LotR now.

Edited by Menace Legion
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Weird Alegion said:

Yes, we should be concerned about LotR now.

Nah. That's like saying because of The Boys and The Expanse LotR will be great. Neither is true. Completely different creative teams.

As for WoT, you people are way too harsh. That said, i expect better from LotR. Maybe if i had been a long time WoT fan i would have thought differently about the show, i dunno.

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

Nah. That's like saying because of The Boys and The Expanse LotR will be great. Neither is true. Completely different creative teams.

As for WoT, you people are way too harsh. That said, i expect better from LotR. Maybe if i had been a long time WoT fan i would have thought differently about the show, i dunno.

It's not about even being a WOT fan.

Honestly most of the changes made in the series really haven't really moved the plot or improved the world building tbh

His cut some important chunks of the series and really sidelined the main characters for side plots which really didn't do much of  anything to progressing the plot and feel like detours from the main plot.

This is the easier to adopt since the first book was derivative and more straight forward  and a wonky ending.

Some of the next books are dense where lots of shit happens with tremendous payoff at the end and I just don't see this showrunner handling it.

World building has been crap and the world is so generic and boring .

No sense of scope whatsoever . The world feels so self contained and small ,there is no sense of urgency from the plot and characters. Like what happened to the shadows pawn, they haven't done much with them.

Emond fielders with exception of nynaeve  are severely underveloped

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elessar said:

I think if I wasn't familiar with the books it would be kinda an ok whatever, kill some time series, but when it's an adaptation of my favorite book series I had much higher expectations.

• Like 2

😂😂😂😂🤦🏿‍♂️...wtf was this.

The amount of changes here comes in full forces and droves you literally choke on them.

A scene happens and you like wtf and before you can digest it another WTF moment more than that happens.

3/10 bse I just like the actor who played padan fain and small chunks of rand other than that this episode as an adaptation was fucking terrible.

Will give my spoiler thoughts later..

After Episode 7 I thought the show could still pull things together for a solid finale that would set up season 2 effectively.

I was wrong. That was the worst episode of the season. There were a few isolated individual things I liked, but so much was just....what.....why

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i don't say this often but all the producers, writers, and directors on this show should feel bad, this was just embarrassing

all the characters in this suck and theres a cheesy cheapness to everything

i don't even understand nor really care about all the lore in The Witcher but at least that that show knows how to have fun and doesn't have the look and feel of a soap opera

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 4

Just to put all of my annoyances down, rant:

Spoiler

Beginning of this episode we have Lews Therin talking to Latra Posae and her refusing to join his assault on the Dark One's prison, but the conversation feels so casual and the setting is so peaceful even though the whole point of this decision in the books is that it was a desperate one made in a losing war. Zero tension. And of course, zero attention to detail, apparently Latra is now the "Tamyrlin Seat" which was never a thing, and apparently Lews Therin wants to seal the Bore because "it was never done before" and not because, you know, humanity is about to get wiped out by the Shadow. Also, Lews Therin is called "The Dragon Reborn," so what does that make Rand, the Dragon Reborn Reborn?

Moiraine says "don't touch anything" in the Blight right as they are, in fact, touching many things. Great writing. 

The Blight is some type of impassable jungle even though huge armies apparently move through it super fast. Also, it doesn't even look menacing or good. Almost everything in this show just looks so gray and blah. 

"Ba'alzamon" doesn't feel menacing and his first interaction with Rand had little tension. Didn't much like the actor's performance, it lacked the total lunatic energy marking this version of the character. 

Baalzy mentions the heron-mark blade, but this hasn't been explained in the show, so just comes out of nowhere. 

Moiraine apparently has a "tell" for tracking (wtf is this?) and apparently Nynaeve knows that better than the guy who has been bonded to Moiraine for decades. 

Lan delivers some book lines to Nynaeve, except they make no sense in the show context, since he had sex with her literally the last episode. Lan feels like a user here, playing with Nynaeve's feelings. 

The Eye of the World looks pretty crappy (like the rest of the visuals). Also, there is no explanation of what it is supposed to be in the show. Just a random location which symbolizes how little attention to detail is in the worldbuilding. 

Moiraine is stilled just to manufacture some drama to give Pike a bigger role in Season 2. Because Moiraine is apparently one of the lead characters of the whole series now. 

Agelmar still seems incompetent and there is a really strange moment where he and Amalisa argue about who wears what armor. He leads a dramatic cavalry charge...from one fortress to another. 

Egwene and Nynaeve listen to the wind and Egwene identifies something that feels similar to the Trolloc attack at Bel Tine. So, instead of connecting the last dot and warning the Shienarans of the Trolloc attack, she goes to Min for some random foreshadowing of events that occur 20 minutes later. 

Min's look is changed as she flees the city and now she actually looks more like how she's described in the books. Good moment. 

Rand's big climactic moments of the season are centered around his relationship with Egwene. Because god forbid we actually give this guy a character arc of his own. Then he shoots "Ba'alzamon" in a very anticlimactic scene. Not sure what Baalzy was trying to do in this whole sequence. 

Shienarans are beaten easily by the Trollocs. Then a circle of five women destroys the entire army, so why weren't they at the front lines in the first place? Of course, we can't have Rand get his big moment from the book at this battle, because Rand getting good moments is Not Allowed in this show. 

The Shienarans decide to dig up the Horn of Valere, which has not been mentioned or foreshadowed in this show previously. Instead of being a legendary lost artifact, it was apparently in Shienar the whole time. So much for the Great Hunt of the Horn.

Padan Fain steals the Horn, stabbing Loial. Loial will probably be back next season, yet another fakeout death (how many have there been in this show lmao). Fain implies that Mat will turn to the Dark (I doubt they actually go through with this, but why on earth they chose this angle at all for his character is beyond me). 

Perrin, seeing all these events, just stands there like a wimp and does nothing. Like he has done this entire season. The only thing he did this season was kill his wife.  

Nynaeve dies, and Egwene heals her. So death doesn't matter at all, as long as you have Egwene around.  

Rand leaves into the Blight. So are we skipping just his book 2 arc, or both his book 2 and book 3 arc? 

The Seanchan make their grand entrance. For some reason, the mechanics of the damane have been changed (ballgags instead of collars and chains). They proceed to create a gigantic tidal wave to kill a little girl.

Man this episode was bad. Last Airbender level. 

• Astonished 1

6.4 on imdb and still plenty to drop. This one was a showkiller imo, and good riddance — the writing has been on the wall in terms of misunderstanding and disrespect of the source material from ep 1.  

Best news I’ve heard since this ep premiered is that S3 hasn’t been greenlit after all — time to go Bebop on this shit.

Edited by Weird Alegion

On 12/24/2021 at 10:08 AM, Ozymandias said:

i don't say this often but all the producers, writers, and directors on this show should feel bad, this was just embarrassing

all the characters in this suck and theres a cheesy cheapness to everything

i don't even understand nor really care about all the lore in The Witcher but at least that that show knows how to have fun and doesn't have the look and feel of a soap opera

SO it's just like the novels?

I never got beyond the first two; just a rehashing of every fantasy cliche in the book with nothing original.Not surprised at all the show is little better.

• Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Yeah this show pretty much sucks. I was so invested in it being good that I hoped it would turn around and while it did have a couple decent episodes, it deviated too far from the source material. and for all the talk of it being expensive it looked cheap! like where did the budget it go?! the Chosen looked better and that was made with a few million dollars (high for that really) this cost $80m! it felt rushed at parts then super slow at others, making the pacing really bad. It sidelined the main characters for no reason. and just chopped huge chunks of the book out completely which considering they focused almost entirely on characters and elements that were either not in the book or very minor for huge portions of the show, doesn't really make sense. Ideally 10 episodes would have been better, but with the current show runner he would have probably found 2 hours of random things to focus on. I feel like the show runner honestly thought he was a better author than Robert Jordan. and I have my criticisms of Jorden. but he is still a master storyteller compared to this hack. I'm really worried for season 2. I honestly think the cast is decent, but given very little to work with and they really need to fire most of the writing and directing crew if they want this show to work. which they probably won't so it will most likely be canceled after 3 seasons. what a waste.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 1:45 AM, Kalo said:

I feel like the show runner honestly thought he was a better author than Robert Jordan. and I have my criticisms of Jorden. but he is still a master storyteller compared to this hack. I'm really worried for season 2. I honestly think the cast is decent, but given very little to work with and they really need to fire most of the writing and directing crew if they want this show to work. which they probably won't so it will most likely be canceled after 3 seasons. what a waste.

Amazon is definitely not going to be making any changes. They even hired Rafe for the God of War series so they clearly seem to think that the writing on this show was a success. Honestly, I think they just go by the fact that it had good ratings, but I think the ratings could have been much better if the show's quality was higher. This show did not have the great moments to break out beyond the book fans. 

• Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 5:41 PM, Menor Reborn said:

Btw one minor change that seems pretty unnecessary and bugged me:

Hide contents

Rand really liked Jain Farstrider's stories on his own, not just because of Egwene (I actually don't remember if Egwene also liked them or not). Why take that little aspect of his character away :(. Sure it doesn't matter that much but feels totally unnecessary. 

They did a lot of unnecessary changes that make no sense and very few of them progressed the plot in any way...also it was odd to me that the show runner said a lot of them had to be done to contract events that occur in EOTW because it was only 8 episodes yet one entire episode(1 eighth of the series) is nearly 100% made up of events that never happen in series never mind the first book...

• Like 2

On 12/17/2021 at 4:04 AM, Liiviig 1998 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

5/10. This had it's moments but it was pretty bad.

This episode......🤦🏿‍♂️. Too many pointless changes that are honestly infuriating.

Loved the opening and the flashbacks .

Continue to like nynaeve and Lan but they kind of ruined it at the end.

The borderlands world building was utterly reaped to shreds.it was completely glossed over and it was infuriating. 

I hate what they did to lord agelmar and turned him into a proud asshole .

Ok is loial some convenience machine . where did he go after the ways?. This would be ample time to have with the emond fielders. He only appears when characters need to move from point A toB.

Honestly didn't like the casting of min and she doesn't look the role but I found her OK but will see how she fares as the series progresses.

Oh boy the conflict btn rand and Perrin in this episode is straight out of the CW. Nonsensical shit to create drama.

Yeah Mats a coward...sigh.

Egwene rand , Perrin and mat all took hits as characters. In the book there is so much chemistry btn them and fuck me this show has butchered it so badly this episode adding to the fact none of them has been sufficiently developed. What a shame.

Liked atleast they tried to decide whether going to the eye is worth the risk .

I hated ep5 more but in terms of adaptation this was the worst. What they have done to the borderlands lore and world building is just fucking atrocious.

Oh God what has happened to this fucking series. 

If i could upvote this more i would...Too many pointless changes kinda sums up most of the show

On 3/16/2022 at 12:57 AM, Menor Reborn said:

Amazon is definitely not going to be making any changes. They even hired Rafe for the God of War series so they clearly seem to think that the writing on this show was a success. Honestly, I think they just go by the fact that it had good ratings, but I think the ratings could have been much better if the show's quality was higher. This show did not have the great moments to break out beyond the book fans. 

Unfortunately it didn't do much to endear it to the books fans either...as one of those fans at times it felt like a twisted version of the books put together by someone who barely read them,sure it had most of the characters and "some" of the events from EOTW but they all felt off kilter to me and in many cases it wasn't the things omitted from the book but things added that were never in the first(or any) book that threw me off....

This is hard to get my head around really because you have to make a series like this to cater for the core fans and IMO they kinda didn't but non fans might enjoy it as a generic fantasy series....saying that even though ive huge issues with it i know i`ll keep watching because ive hope it will improve