Jump to content
Eric Madrigal

NO TIME TO DIE WEEKEND THREAD | Bond 56M, Venom 32M

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

 

I think the hope was that the overall market would be higher with a 2nd active blockbuster and a holiday weekend...on that point, if the Top 10 and Overall come in lower, I actually will be disappointed...

 

Maybe adding a semi-3rd blockbuster with Halloween Kills next weekend helps, although if it doesn't, it may mean we've again hit the "how many folks will come out on the weekend" ceiling, til we get a few more weeks of recovery in...

We obviously have not hit such a ceiling. There is no such ceiling. How do you not get this at this point — it’s all product driven! 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it's clear people at this point will come out to see what they want to see and give a miss to something they are on the fence with. We were already nearing a feast or famine situation pre-pandemic (2019 DOM saw films do either over 330M or under 200M save for It Chapter 2). Post-pandemic may witness even more extreme situations, especially for the low end. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway, is this the point in the weekend when someone who might feel like Nostradamus after the last 2 weekends starts spiking the football?:)

 

Nah...then old Paw Patrol DOM OW and TOTAL guesses would surface that show everyone screws up something at some point:)...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vafrow said:

 

Given how the core fans react to the slightest hint of change, there isn't going to be any risks taken with casting. I find that any of the potential POC actors that could make an interesting Bond are quick to shut down any rumours to avoid being bombarded with hate mail. 

 

The next Bond film has the deck stacked against it. It will do well internationally based on the brand, but I don't think there's an appetite to take the risks needed to make it interesting to new audiences. 

I remember the reactions to Daniel Craig's decision being sour because he had blond hair, would be funny seeing the reaction if they cast a POC.  Most James bond fans are old enough that they will moan at any big bold changes but it won't stop them from seeing it, atleast here in the UK. 

 

Personally I'm hoping they cast James Corden

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that Spectre hurt this. People didn't like it and NTTD is a direct sequel or Pt 2 if you will, without a special event such as 50th Anniversary to offset an unpopular predecessor  (which Skyfall had to its advantage). Also, since end of Craig Era =/= End of Bond (they are already talking casting in 2022), it isn't an actual "end of the franchise" boxoffice booster, though those don't always work. For every ROTK/DH2/Endgame there's TROS/War of TPOTA/Mockingjay2. 

 

Oh who am I kidding. Billie ain't no Adele. :lol:

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I think that Spectre hurt this. People didn't like it and NTTD is a direct sequel or Pt 2 if you will, without a special event such as 50th Anniversary to offset an unpopular predecessor  (which Skyfall had to its advantage). Also, since end of Craig Era =/= End of Bond (they are already talking casting in 2022), it isn't an actual "end of the franchise" boxoffice booster, though those don't always work. For every ROTK/DH2/Endgame there's TROS/War of TPOTA/Mockingjay2. 

 

Oh who am I kidding. Billie ain't no Adele. :lol:

I haven't seen this yet because I still can't be bothered to watch Spectre. 

 

As much as Ive been vocal about not appreciating Billie, it's not fair to compare her (or many singers) to the great Adele 

Edited by Chicago
Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the theatrical window on Bond? At this rate I feel as if we could see VOD by the end of the month.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chicago said:

I haven't seen this yet because I still can't be bothered to watch Spectre. 

 

As much as Ive been vocal about not appreciating Billie, it's not fair to compare her (or many singers) to the great Adele 

 

Also, Adele's song was so catchy and iconic. It's hard to replicate it. Stars really lined up for Skyfall. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

 

Also, Adele's song was so catchy and iconic. It's hard to replicate it. Stars really lined up for Skyfall. 

 

And it was a standalone, which all Bond movies should be. Bond has lacked the consistency to keep all the stories interlinked and mantain interest to non fans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jamiem said:

Anyway to brighten the mood a little, I've been on record as saying that 2022 is going to be massive (something to look forward to) I think there is a very good change that 12 titles from next year can make $300m+ at the domestic box office. The titles in question (in release order, I'm not playing favourites y'all can do that) 

 

The Batman 

Doctor Strange 2

Thor 4

Jurassic World 3

Lightyear

Black Panther 2

Indy 5

MI7

The Flash

The Marvels

Aquaman 2

Avatar 2

 

Now the bad news for some of you is they are all franchise films. 

 

 


I don’t think Indy, MI7 or The Flash will pull $300m but I can see the rest getting there. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

my extrapolation skills are still in hibernation, but if RTH number is solid, then thats under 60 mill for the weekend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, baumer said:

my extrapolation skills are still in hibernation, but if RTH number is solid, then thats under 60 mill for the weekend. 

Gonna have a little boosted Sunday, but yeah, probably. Have been thinking under 60 since the preview walkups were bad and a sub-23 fri reinforces that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, baumer said:

my extrapolation skills are still in hibernation, but if RTH number is solid, then thats under 60 mill for the weekend. 

Indeed, probably about $53-55m.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cookie said:

I wouldn't call the previous Craig movies any more lighthearted, though.

Yes, I think those reviews didn't refer to D. Craig's Bond movies which were always pretty serious.

22.5M on Friday sounds better. I should have waited till I say it underperformed. The first posts I read here were that its OW could be around 50-60M but with that Friday it should at least cross the 60M mark (I think).

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, AJG said:

What's the theatrical window on Bond? At this rate I feel as if we could see VOD by the end of the month.

And risk impacting that international box office? No chance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:


I don’t think Indy, MI7 or The Flash will pull $300m but I can see the rest getting there. 

Actually curious who else thinks Indy is going sub $300M cause I have it definitely going over $300M but a decent amount of people  would agree with you

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Actually curious who else thinks Indy is going sub $300M cause I have it definitely going over $300M but a decent amount of people  would agree with you

 

It all depends on the trailer - if it looks like a geriatric trying to be an action hero, ummm, yeah, I'd probably say it's gonna have issues...if it actually focuses on someone that could be the next Indy and the Ford is only there as flavoring and nostalgia, maybe...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

 

It all depends on the trailer - if it looks like a geriatric trying to be an action hero, ummm, yeah, I'd probably say it's gonna have issues...if it actually focuses on someone that could be the next Indy and the Ford is only there as flavoring and nostalgia, maybe...

So exactly like Crystal Skull which is universally loathed.... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Serious Excel:

 

Bad news: The marketing for this was very aggressive. Color me shocked that if it does 1/3rd less than Venom. Obvious sign of who is going to the movies at the moment.

 

Good news: Bond and Dune have both had very aggressive marketing. Unless one is living under a rock, they're well aware that the movies are back in business. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.