Eric Duncan

NO TIME TO DIE WEEKEND THREAD | Bond 56M, Venom 32M

23 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I think Bond is too old fashioned for younger audiences. They need to make him like Pattinson's Batman - emo, goth with smudgy eyeliner to appeal to younger folks. lol

I’m old enough to remember Vin Diesel’s XXX had a meta joke about 007 being out of touch by having a tux wearing spy show up as a rave. 

of course that joke hasn’t aged well at all. 007 has always evolved, flowed with the times and trends. With each new Bond, they tend to rebook him to fit the new guy. 

• Like 7

One thing I will say anecdotally is that the "finale factor" didn't really resonate among many people I know in real life, given that this is a franchise that changes actors regularly and most people didn't even realize this was a big deal. I think that we might have just misjudged that element. 

I'm all in for Idris Elba Bond after years of pushing for a younger guy like Kaluuya or Patel. It doesn't need to be another hard reboot with a 15 year commitment taking us through his career. Maybe the next Bond should just be a cool guy who does three fun, non-serialized action movies! I think that's what people want after the Craig years, and Elba is the one guy who would make pretty much everyone happy. A 53 year old Elba could def pull off a couple of fun, money-making James Bond movies. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, grim22 said:

NTTD definitely hurt by a few factors - Spectre sucking something fierce and this being a direct sequel to that awful movie, the repeated delays meaning that associated marketing efforts all happened way too early like the theme song and SNL and trailers, the long runtime, and the "Craig finale" marketing not resonating as there's been a sense of exhaustion from both audiences and Craig himself.

My hope for the next Bond is to go away from the serialization a bit and give us more standalone adventures again with a prime Bond.

interesting though that the awful  QOS which had terrible legs (even worse than Spectre and Die Another Day) didn’t hurt Skyfall. Shows much the marketing for that movie worked 

Just now, John Marston said:

interesting though that the awful  QOS which had terrible legs (even worse than Spectre and Die Another Day) didn’t hurt Skyfall. Shows much the marketing for that movie worked 

Skyfall was just blessed. It had the huge hit theme song from Adele when she was Michael Jackson level big. It was the 50th anniversary and they were doing museum tours in places around the world. It was the first Bond movie to have real Oscar hype. Bardem was a hot actor famous for playing a bad guy playing a very cool, Joker-esque villain. Holiday legs too. Just a perfect storm way outside the normal Bond/MI/Bourne range. 

16 minutes ago, Serpico Jones said:

Barbara Broccoli should’ve taken the Netflix deal. Big mistake.

MGM reportedly wanted $600m for it -  Apple and Netflix said no.  It would have been a bad deal for them.  They can make/buy 3 blockbusters for that.

The Broccolis I believe get a huge producers fee that's already part of the budget so they've made a huge chunk already and theatrically the film will easily do $600m+ WW before it hits streaming and other ancillaries so it should again be fine for them.  Maybe not as fine as for MGM.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

One thing I will say anecdotally is that the "finale factor" didn't really resonate among many people I know in real life, given that this is a franchise that changes actors regularly and most people didn't even realize this was a big deal. I think that we might have just misjudged that element. 

I'm all in for Idris Elba Bond after years of pushing for a younger guy like Kaluuya or Patel. It doesn't need to be another hard reboot with a 15 year commitment taking us through his career. Maybe the next Bond should just be a cool guy who does three fun, non-serialized action movies! I think that's what people want after the Craig years, and Elba is the one guy who would make pretty much everyone happy. A 53 year old Elba could def pull off a couple of fun, money-making James Bond movies. 

It'll probably be 3-4 years before the next Bond.  While in better shape he'd still be Roger Moore's age at retirement by the time he started.   He'd be 60 for his 2nd movie.    I don't think that's the best way to grab back an eroding youthful demographic. 

Edit:  Oops thought he was 53 now.  Still, too old to be a starter Bond.

Funny that the original thought of CR was to go young Bond - as in early 20s and we got 38 yr old Bond who didn't know how to buy a good suit.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ACSlater said:

I am still pulling for Henry Cavill.

Either way, my suggestion is to make the next Bond a bit lighter than the doom and gloom of the Craig era not that I haven't enjoyed Craig but I can use the more humor and suave version of Bond again. 

The age of making heroes "angry edgy" is definitely coming to an end. Pattinson's Batman looks more "artsy edgy" ala JOKER.

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Way too famous. Producers never have, and never will, go for A-listers.

Brosnan was famous, if not A-list, when cast. 

Collider suggested the next film could be a spiritual legacyquel, where a young, upstart James Bond is under the wings of an older MI6 agent...played by Pierce Brosnan. Rips off Kingsman, but it is able to tie into the nostalgia heartstrings while also having some fresh face that, if he connects, could appear in many movies for years to come, as well as a "pass the torch" kinda situation so long-time fans won't throw a hissy fit.

https://collider.com/james-bond-26-plot-theory/

• Disbelief 1

30 minutes ago, RRA said:

I’m old enough to remember Vin Diesel’s XXX had a meta joke about 007 being out of touch by having a tux wearing spy show up as a rave. 

of course that joke hasn’t aged well at all. 007 has always evolved, flowed with the times and trends. With each new Bond, they tend to rebook him to fit the new guy. 

It didn't even age that well that year.  DAD out opened it and made more $.

Interestingly the same year gave us the first Borne which did far more to push Bond than XXX.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

That was a perfect storm, the 50th anniversary, the great theme song, the completely different visual language compared to Quantum, the villain who looked to be iconic even in the marketing stills and of course the Olympics tie-in with The Queen. It helped that reviews were over the top positive as well.

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

‘No Time To Die’, Daniel Craig’s Final Bond Film, Targeting $60M Domestic Opening – Box Office

https://deadline.com/2021/10/no-time-to-die-weekend-box-office-1234852700/

"Comscore/Screen Engine shows that 37% of No Time to Die‘s ticket buyers were over 45, proportionally a higher share than Spectre‘s 29%."

When did Deadline actually contradict Deadline's own OW reporting from 6 years ago?:)  Plus, when did 45 become the new 50?  Deadline itself reported 35% over 50 6 years ago for OW...

Anyway, with that said, if 45 is the new 50, Spectre got about $25M in OW DOM BO revenue for 50+...and NTTD is getting about $22M in OW BO from 45+, with a heavy skew probably in the lower range, thus why they skewed 5 years down to make it sound better...and why they forgot their own previous OW reporting...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Safin said:

Collider suggested the next film could be a spiritual legacyquel, where a young, upstart James Bond is under the wings of an older MI6 agent...played by Pierce Brosnan. Rips off Kingsman, but it is able to tie into the nostalgia heartstrings while also having some fresh face that, if he connects, could appear in many movies for years to come, as well as a "pass the torch" kinda situation so long-term fans won't throw a hissy fit.

https://collider.com/james-bond-26-plot-theory/

Please no. How about a plot where, and this might be controversial, there's an agent named James Bond with codename 007 and at the start of the movie he has an action setpiece which wraps up a plotline we weren't involved in as an audience and then he gets a call from M and is introduced to a new threat to international security and then he goes on the mission to stop that threat across 3-4 different locations and with the assistance of locals and other spies but first picks up a car and some gadgets from Q. 

• Like 2

PS - It was the heavy male skew that the fanbase has that saved it from a not good result...and I'm happy we finally get a diversity breakdown for a Bond...

"No Time to Die clocked an 81% positive score on PostTrak, and a 62% definite recommend. Males came out at 64%, with 57% over 35. Fifty-two percent were Caucasian, 17% Latino and Hispanic, 13% Black, and 18% Asian/other. The movie played best on the coasts and saw Imax and PLFs delivering close to 40% of its ticket sales to date."