Eric Atreides

NO TIME TO DIE WEEKEND THREAD | Bond 56M, Venom 32M

I've been saying Henry Golding for the past couple years and i'm going down with the ship on that call. look i know snake eyes was a bit of an issue... how's he supposed to be bond when he's gonna be so busy filming all the snake eyes sequels? but i think he can manage.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I've been saying Henry Golding for the past couple years and i'm going down with the ship on that call. look i know snake eyes was a bit of an issue... how's he supposed to be bond when he's gonna be so busy filming all the snake eyes sequels? but i think he can manage.

Nah. No way, Snake Eyes really showed his limited acting range and his action scenes were really mediocre.

Like why him of all people? There are others with a "clean slate" and i would argue that can get more G.A curious about bond. 

How many times do we want Henry Golding to ruin an action movie with a character that is originally white?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Skyfall benefitted from looking like TDK at a time where the world was still obsessed with TDK.

Back then people were way more receptive to the more serious tone of story telling. But with Covid-19 and a lot more troublesome issues out there, light fun film now tend to vow audience more than usual, probably explain why FG, JC, SC or Venom 2 were able to deliver impressive run but NTTD's run went mostly boring. Probably another reason to worry about Dune.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Back then people were way more receptive to the more serious tone of story telling. But with Covid-19 and a lot more troublesome issues out there, light fun film now tend to vow audience more than usual, probably explain why FG, JC, SC or Venom 2 were able to deliver impressive run but NTTD's run went mostly boring. Probably another reason to worry about Dune.  

The movie that needs to worry about serious/adult/somber tone is The Last Duel. Dune PS are strong and it has "spectacle that needs to be seen in cinemas" hype. 

Also, Dune already has over 100M from only 32 markets with a lot of major markets to go. 

Edited by Valonqar

11 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I worry about Eternals. I'm just not feelin it. Curios how presales go. I won't be surprised UNDER Venom OW

Taking this as around 85 million, let's say. Your prediction for Shang-Chi OW was 20 million. Therefore, by the unassailable power of Math, Eternals will open to 85*75.39/20, or 320 million OW. :ohmygod:

• Haha 9
  • Astonished 2

I mostly agree (that movies with a serious tone are at the moment not too popular) and also think this will be the main reason why The Last Duel will have a hard time at the US-box office (I think it looks very good and atmospheric and it plays in another century but with modern problems).

But when it comes to Dune, I'm not so sure. A few days ago I joked with my brother that if moviegoers search for real escapism they should see a movie playing on another planet.
I mean LotR also was far from a comedy but was settled in another time/world (Idk how to describe it better) and that worked very well as we know. Of course there're other differences. But so far Dune did connect with the audience (OS).

Edited by el sid

25 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I worry about Eternals. I'm just not feelin it. Curios how presales go. I won't be surprised UNDER Venom OW

You also worried about Shang Chi and I believe at one point said it would do $55 million domestic...

So...

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

30 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So The Batman will be the first non-Marvel movie to open above 75m since the pandemic?

I would say The Matrix but it opens on a Wednesday and has a hybrid release.

95% likely. I'd say Encanto has the best chance of any other film. 

26 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Eternals? we should be more worry about the movies that open along side with Eternals in that   week.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, el sid said:

I mostly agree (that movies with a serious tone are at the moment not too popular) and also think this will be the main reason why The Last Duel will have a hard time at the US-box office (I think it looks very good and atmospheric and it plays in another century but with modern problems).

But when it comes to Dune, I'm not so sure. A few days ago I joked with my brother that if moviegoers search for real escapism they should see a movie playing on another planet.
I mean LotR also was far from a comedy but was settled in another time/world (Idk how to describe it better) and that worked very well as we know. Of course there're other differences. But so far Dune did connect with the audience (OS).

Dune will connect in cinemas. OS was a good test. Buzz is strong that it's a unique theatrical experience. Part 2 will happen. The Last Duel will connect on streaming. It isn't a kind of movie people will rush to see in these circumstances but those who love it really love it so it looks like the release (covid, delays, change in preference that puts butts in cinemas, etc)  went amiss rather than the movie itself.  It will bomb hard next week and then enjoy a renaissance on streaming.  

• Like 1