Eric Duncan

NO TIME TO DIE WEEKEND THREAD | Bond 56M, Venom 32M

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

He actually looks like the product of Sean Connery and an asian woman. 

And Henry Golding acts like watching the paint dry on my dresser...dull and wooden (with no graceful or acrobatic movement)...

I'm sorry, I watched Crazy Rich Asians and Snake Eyes...he may be able to be a model, but he's no actor...everyone else carried his films for him, which worked for CRA and blew up for Snake Eyes...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I worry about Eternals. I'm just not feelin it. Curios how presales go. I won't be surprised UNDER Venom OW

Well as long as it does not have Venom legs, it can open below Venom OW and do fine.

36 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Back then people were way more receptive to the more serious tone of story telling. But with Covid-19 and a lot more troublesome issues out there, light fun film now tend to vow audience more than usual, probably explain why FG, JC, SC or Venom 2 were able to deliver impressive run but NTTD's run went mostly boring. Probably another reason to worry about Dune.  

I'd argue Dune is pretty fundamentally different from the era of TDK and Skyfall.

Yes, the adopted tone of those films was serious but that was the trick. They weren't actually. The genius/trick of both The Dark Knight and Skyfall was to make the audience feel as though they were watching something with weight and complexity when they were actually experiencing a far more standard cartoon/spy film than they thought they were. Both the central conceits that make TDK and Skyfall supposedly complex (that the former acts as a robust crime thriller with more verisimilitude than the average superhero movie and that the latter deviates from the norm and is a part sombre meditation on Bond's place in pop culture itself) fall apart on even a modicum of scrutiny....but because they worked well as baseline entertainment pieces and they hit the zeitgeist at the perfect angle the audience never wanted to give that scrutiny because they were having a great time and wanted to engage in the conceit they were having a 'serious' experience as well.

And I'd argue that you are right in saying now is not the time for films that make themselves seem needlessly serious and pretend to have more weight than they actually have. And that films that play that card wouldn't do so well now.

But that's not what Dune is. Dune, if it is even vaguely in line with the book and/or Villeneuve's usual approach, actually HAS the weight and complexity to go with its tone. And actually HAS something nuanced and of note to talk to its audience about. So I think it has a better chance.

Bond's going to do just fine anyway because of international, but sure if they had it back and had foresight it would probably be more in line with the current moment to go for a balls to the wall fun silly Bond film in the Moonraker vein. But just not possible to have predicted.

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

And Henry Golding acts like watching the paint dry on my dresser...dull and wooden (with no graceful or acrobatic movement)...

I'm sorry, I watched Crazy Rich Asians and Snake Eyes...he may be able to be a model, but he's no actor...everyone else carried his films for him, which worked for CRA and blew up for Snake Eyes...

He was weak in Snake Eyes and his American accent was one of the worst I've heard in a very long time.

He's also a liar:

My man Henry said "yowzers".

• Haha 15

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Seriously now, do you guys think Eternals will beat Venom OW?

Yes. 

Eternals has consistently gotten more hype/trailer views/whatever metric you want to use than Shang Chi. If Shang Chi had come out during a regular weekend (non-holiday Monday), it would have likely done $80-82M OW.

I see Eternals beating that by 20-30%. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Seriously now, do you guys think Eternals will beat Venom OW?

In all honesty...I don't know for sure.

It should...but the trailers have screamed "boring the GA" so far to me (aka, none have grabbed my kids yet and said "we must go, we must go")...but there's a month to fix that and get WOM revved up...

I mean, I think over Shang Chi 3 day should be a certainty, unless this movie is really, really bad and word gets out about quality...but even then, no matter how bad, it still might be over...it's that extra $15M+ to get over Venom 2...

I mean, if this really focuses a lot on romance, I haven't noticed any female skewing movie actually turning out women in any big numbers in 2020 or 2021, so that's a goal for this movie...to REALLY turn out the demos it wants to turn out...I don't know who the "prime demos" were thought to be for this (it's obviously Marvel 4 quad, but even then, some appeal more to some quads, like Spidey goes young, Black Panther goes diverse, etc)...if I knew that, I'd also be more certain...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

My current Dune prediction based on presales:

5.5M Previews

16.5M Friday (23M Full Friday)

14.8M Saturday (-10%/-34%)

9.6M Sunday (-35%)

47.4M Weekend

If it's possible to get a 70%+ PLF share, Dune will do it based on its sales so far. The PLF sellouts on Thursday night will make it less frontloaded than other Max titles. Nobody wants to see this on a standard screen.

I think the IM will be lower. Something like 6M previews and 45M weekend. I guess 7.5 IM.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It should...but the trailers have screamed "boring the GA" so far to me (aka, none have grabbed my kids yet and said "we must go, we must go")...but there's a month to fix that and get WOM revved up...

I don't think the trailers have been boring to the GA overall. The second trailer has done extremely well for an origin film, second only to Captain Marvel (and not even super far behind that one) and massively ahead of Shang-Chi. At my Shang-Chi showing (Sunday matinee so general audiences, not the MCU core here), it was the only trailer to get a reaction from the crowd, with many people laughing at the IKEA joke. 

• Like 2

Eternals was the only trailer to get any reaction before my Bond IMAX screening last week. Part of that may be because it was the only trailer that made use of the format (and I thought it looked damn good in it), but compared to Ghostbusters, Matrix, and King's Man I heard more audible chatter about it. Think The Batman suddenly showing up before Dune was the only other trailer this year I've seen noticeable excitement for.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cap said:

Argh, my phone ate my response, so tl;dr:

@excel1 

Unless Barbara has done a complete 180, Tom Hiddleston is never going to get the role. But it’s hilarious to watch him thirst after it

@Cmasterclay

Oh I would not get it twisted. Venom success has nothing to do with Tom Hardy, and everything to do with people wanting to fuck a tentacle monster. 😂😂😂

@Blankments

Dev is actually the one “OMGG 👀👀👀👀” choice being tossed around. I don’t think Elba as the villain Would be a good luck though. He can play the villain, but he can’t play James Bond? You don’t really want to open up that discourse.  

@grey ghost

That’s not exactly what Daniel Craig said. He basically said why would a woman want to play this role, he’s awful. They should write a better character for her. He didn’t say that a woman shouldn’t play James Bond or there shouldn’t be a female James Bond.

@BoxOfficeFangrl

OOOOH. I vote Rege-Jean. Make Dev the new Moneypenny 😉

Hard disagree here. I would not give a fuck about Sony's Venom movies if it weren't for Tom Hardy, and I truly believe a lot of people feel the same way.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Sony hadn't gotten Tom Hardy for that role, I guaran-fuckin-tee you that we would have gotten someone boring like Charlie Hunnam or Jai Courtney for the role, who would have played the first movie COMPLETELY straight. That first movie would have been a complete trainwreck if it weren't for Hardy.

I do agree that Venom as a character really does have big appeal, but Hardy made that movie and attracted audiences to it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Hard disagree here. I would not give a fuck about Sony's Venom movies if it weren't for Tom Hardy, and I truly believe a lot of people feel the same way.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Sony hadn't gotten Tom Hardy for that role, I guaran-fuckin-tee you that we would have gotten someone boring like Charlie Hunnam or Jai Courtney for the role, who would have played the first movie COMPLETELY straight. That first movie would have been a complete trainwreck if it weren't for Hardy.

I do agree that Venom as a character really does have big appeal, but Hardy made that movie and attracted audiences to it.

Agreed. The guy can play these batshit crazy roles in a very interesting way. Bronson, Bane, Taboo, Peaky Blinders and now Venom.

He has a big say in the franchise, has a writing credit on Carnage, is a producer and hand picked Serkis to direct it. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What range will Venom's domestic gross end up considering it huge drop this weekend?

$210m at best. Its lead on the first film has depleted thanks to poor weekdays and the Friday # is even behind.

Did not get an Eternals trailer during Bond but have gotten it frequently and as I've previously said, the ikea stinger always kills. It's an epic Marvel film--it'll do well

The trailers before Bond all flopped in the theater (Moonfall, Jackass Forever, Dune, Gucci, Licorice Pizza sadly) except Ghostbusters in which a wife told her husband she wanted to see that. He incredulously responded "You do??".