Eric Atreides

NO TIME TO DIE WEEKEND THREAD | Bond 56M, Venom 32M

On 10/8/2021 at 4:19 AM, Chicago said:

Oh no you had to ask people to wear mask and keep socially distance just like EVERY JOB IN THE WORLD.

I'd just fire you all and employ others. Its not a hard job to replace and there's alot looking for jobs out there at the moment. These people have had a year off and the first thing they do when they get back is complain? How privileged 

Jesus.  First many places have had to raise hourly wages to keep, especially people who earn minimum or near minimum wage (at least in the US), and there are some professions that have had to deal with more customer abuse then what ha been typical.  And some jobs get far more abuse for the same thing than other jobs.

I never had a signal person complain about masks or social distancing at the office.  But in other settings I have seen a lot of it.  And those have typically been places that are staffed by lower income jobs.  

Then you have places that where someone feels inconvenienced for having to put a mask on for being at a business for 15 20 minutes.  For those that are pissed about it, its a much bigger pain going somewhere for hours.  You will see people who normally might not do anything out of line, who will snap over a longer burden.

Then you have the labor market, where I live places that normally paid minimum wage are now starting people between 2 - 3 dollars above that just to keep workers.  The local theaters aren't.  They currently feel they can't afford it.

So if you are an entry level worker making minimum wage and are working a heavier load then previously, getting more crap then normal, why on Earth would any logical rational being continue working there when there are a host of other business for entry level workers paying a significantly higher rate?

Unless you're an idiot, or a masochist there isn't a reasoned or rational reason for staying, and guess what in no way shape or form is that being lazy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Yeah, there was always a 007 marathon on TBS or Spike or whatever, especially during Thanksgiving or Christmas. People (especially kids) just don't watch TV like that anymore, at least not in the same numbers. But if the MGM/Amazon merger goes through, the Bond movies could have a home there. People do watch Amazon streaming, at least sometimes. 

It does look like Bond is not appealing to younger audiences, and I'm not sure how casting anyone who could have made a list of "the next James Bond" candidates 8-10 years ago makes sense as Craig's replacement. Connery turned 32 the year Dr. No came out! If you keep living, eventually the guy playing James Bond will be younger than you. The Broccolis can do whatever they want, but I really doubt Idris or Tom Hardy or even Cavill are in the cards as our next lead. It makes sense to cast someone younger and unencumbered, and don't take a thousand years between movies with him. 

Who knows how Bond bros might react, but women of many ages seem to like Rege-Jean Page well enough...

if they want to go for someone who isnt white, then he would be the most sensible pick. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Bond overindexing in Canada big time. 97% of Venom’s OD nationwide (give or take, I’m still new to this).

Commonwealth baby. :lol: We act like Brits. We overindexed LOTR too. 

Dune should overindex in Canada because of Denis and popular source. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Jesus.  First many places have had to raise hourly wages to keep, especially people who earn minimum or near minimum wage (at least in the US), and there are some professions that have had to deal with more customer abuse then what ha been typical.  And some jobs get far more abuse for the same thing than other jobs.

I never had a signal person complain about masks or social distancing at the office.  But in other settings I have seen a lot of it.  And those have typically been places that are staffed by lower income jobs.  

Then you have places that where someone feels inconvenienced for having to put a mask on for being at a business for 15 20 minutes.  For those that are pissed about it, its a much bigger pain going somewhere for hours.  You will see people who normally might not do anything out of line, who will snap over a longer burden.

Then you have the labor market, where I live places that normally paid minimum wage are now starting people between 2 - 3 dollars above that just to keep workers.  The local theaters aren't.  They currently feel they can't afford it.

So if you are an entry level worker making minimum wage and are working a heavier load then previously, getting more crap then normal, why on Earth would any logical rational being continue working there when there are a host of other business for entry level workers paying a significantly higher rate?

Unless you're an idiot, or a masochist there isn't a reasoned or rational reason for staying, and guess what in no way shape or form is that being lazy. 

It'd also be different if companies and businesses who claim to be in "desperate need" of help didn't reject qualified candidates in search of a "perfect" candidate. Hell, many companies don't intend on hiring from open postings. I'm struggling to find a job right now; the market is fucked beyond belief.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It'd also be different if companies and businesses who claim to be in "desperate need" of help didn't reject qualified candidates in search of a "perfect" candidate. Hell, many companies right now don't intend on hiring from open postings. I'm struggling to find a job right now; the market is fucked beyond belief.

This is true - I heard the story today of my high school senior nephew who was looking for his 1st job and tried to get part time restaurant work (host/server)...he dropped off resumes and went back to about 20 restaurants every week for weeks...finally a BBQ place took a chance on him just b/c he was so persistent...

All of them had "we're hiring" signs, but many didn't seem to mean it in actuality...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

This is true - I heard the story today of my high school senior nephew who was looking for his 1st job and tried to get part time restaurant work (host/server)...he dropped off resumes and went back to about 20 restaurants every week for weeks...finally a BBQ place took a chance on him just b/c he was so persistent...

All of them had "we're hiring" signs, but many didn't seem to mean it in actuality...

I interviewed with one of the big media conglomerates back in August for a temporary position. After two rounds of interviews, I was rejected. The job posting is still up now in October. It's beyond frustrating to deal with these processes when companies have no intention of hiring anyone.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Menor said:

It's crazy to me to think that Venom would have been just as successful without Hardy. Without him the movies would be probably unwatchable. He owns the role. 

Sure but lots of people really don't know who he is still. In his biggest film, he is remembered as Bane. In Mad Max, Theron totally overshadowed him. Nobody remembers him from Inception. Hardy the actor is not a draw. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Commonwealth baby. :lol: We act like Brits. We overindexed LOTR too. 

Dune should overindex in Canada because of Denis and popular source. 

FOTR is the third highest ticket seller of all time at my theater (since 1998, as far as my numbers go back) after American Beauty and King’s Speech

28 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Sure but lots of people really don't know who he is still. In his biggest film, he is remembered as Bane. In Mad Max, Theron totally overshadowed him. Nobody remembers him from Inception. Hardy the actor is not a draw. 

Again, huge disagree. Sure, Theron overshadowed him in Fury Road. But people act like he's completely pushed to the side, when he isn't. He probably still had the most screentime in that movie. 

Tom Hardy is very popular amongst the public and especially "bros" and "filmbros". Peaky Blinders is a phenomenon and he steals every scene he's in. To say he's not a household name is a bad take.

His problem is that he doesn't go along with his own momentum. I wish he'd use the goodwill of Venom to get Sony to greenlight another big movie with him,  but he's clearly not really interested in all that, or chasing prestige projects, unless it's with his friends (Nolan and Dicaprio)

Edited by Pinacolada

Tom Hardy got Venom coming off The Revenant which gave him an Oscar nom and media attention. He had bro appeal before that with Mad Max, Inception and TDKR. He appeared in Dunkirk. He’s no draw because very few are, but he’s popular. Always rumored for Bond.

Venom is an iconic character but what people love about the movies is entirely due to Tom Hardy. His hammy and zany performance and the bromance is all him. Venom 1 was an average film he elevated for the masses because of his goofiness and improvisation. He turned the film into a meme. Without Hardy, Venom would have been a generic superhero flop without humor. He literally fought with the Director and studio on set of one. That’s why he wrote the sequel 

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash
  • Like 1