Eric Atreides

NO TIME TO DIE WEEKEND THREAD | Bond 56M, Venom 32M

It'd be interesting to dissect what factors may have hurt Bond independent of pandemic adult audience critique - specifically, the fact that it was a direct sequel to a six year old movie that many people didn't like.

Looking historically at the biggest Bond breakouts, even the shittier ones, it is when they are just very much solo, fun movies of their own - this was Skyfall's big advantage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It'd be interesting to dissect what factors may have hurt Bond independent of pandemic adult audience critique - specifically, the fact that it was a direct sequel to a six year old movie that many people didn't like.

Looking historically at the biggest Bond breakouts, even the shittier ones, it is when they are just very much solo, fun movies of their own - this was Skyfall's big advantage.

Do people know it's a direct sequel? Because I watched the trailer and I had no idea until I've read it around here.

Just now, Last Man Standing said:

Do people know it's a direct sequel? Because I watched the trailer and I had no idea until I've read it around here.

I mean, nothing in the trailers exactly screamed "compelling" to people that weren't huge fans of the Bond-Craig movies. Go back and look at the reactions to the first two trailers in the thread!

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

FWIW, I'm fairly bullish that Halloween is doing 40m based on presales in my area and others, unless it dies in final week like Bond did.

In good news, Peacock Premium releases haven't suffered as much as HBO Max releases in the 2nd half of the year, probably b/c folks found value and subscribed to HBO Max, but no one still wants Peacock Premium...

So, there's hope...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Candyman passed $60m. Nice and tidy. Happy with that. 2.73x multiplier so far. 

Old passed $90m worldwide last weekend too. 

Candyman is one of those domestic wonders. It totally flopped OS (16M).  Old had pretty even low-energy run both dom and OS (40s in each) but slightly skewing dom. AQP 2 had high energy run both dom and OS but also slightly skewing dom. I guess that's how horror mostly rolls. Exception: Conjuring 3 - that one's OS blew dom out of water 65/136/201M.

Edited by Valonqar

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

In good news, Peacock Premium releases haven't suffered as much as HBO Max releases in the 2nd half of the year, probably b/c folks found value and subscribed to HBO Max, but no one still wants Peacock Premium...

So, there's hope...

Nobody has Peacock Premium lol. HBO Max is a killer app, though. Prime too. I'm much less worried about the movies that go to Peacock or Paramount+. I think there's a hard cap of 35m OW for HBO Max releases - and I do think Dune reaches that ceiling. Shame cuz it'd be doing 60m without it, which is fucking amazing for a goddamn Dune movie.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

FWIW, I'm fairly bullish that Halloween is doing 40m based on presales in my area and others, unless it dies in final week like Bond did.

I actually don’t think Peacock will hurt it that much, purely due to the fact that barely anyone seems to actually HAVE the Peacock premium tier. These presales are what we’d probably have been expecting even prior to the Peacock announcement (it was always dropping from Halloween 2018).

• Like 1

The presales in my area for Halloween Kills are insane. Of course anecdotal, but there's hype. This is a franchise and genre that will always attract a strong OW. 

Peacock will have no influence at all. It's a flop of a streaming service with limited subscribers. What would hurt this movie is the 2nd weekend drop inflated by potential piracy and frontloaded fan demand. Dune dominating all PLF theaters, too. 

There’s no real need to dissect anything Bond did wrong. From Spectre, to marketing - it’s all led to being huge in pretty much every territory other than the US.  

For whatever reason, NTTD just isn’t as big in the states as everywhere else. Who knows, it might have great legs yet. 

but its US performance to date sure ain’t anything to do with the movie itself, or how it’s been promoted. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Chicago said:

How could you just shade those LOTR games like that 

The Potter games were pretty good too, though POA was the last one I purchased (my favorite of the first 3).

Funnily enough, the 1992 Virgin Games adaptation of Lynch's Dune was what made me aware of the franchise. A pretty easy to crack, world exploring adventure game/RPG that thrust you completely into the world of Arakkis, even if it severely watered down the series' concepts.

45 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Yeah they have the same Bond girl from the last one aswell as having Waltz in the trailer. It seemed to close to spectre for it not to be associated with it. I'm British and I'm yet to see this because I refuse to pay to watch Spectre first 

10 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

There’s no real need to dissect anything Bond did wrong. From Spectre, to marketing - it’s all led to being huge in pretty much every territory other than the US.  

For whatever reason, NTTD just isn’t as big in the states as everywhere else. Who knows, it might have great legs yet. 

but its US performance to date sure ain’t anything to do with the movie itself, or how it’s been promoted.

It was promoted as more of the same as Spectre - 5 years later.  Fine for countries Spectre did well in, not for one where it wasn't well liked.  There was nothing in the marketing that showed what was fresh or different or would get back the people Spectre turned off or appeal to new ones.  

Bond is huge in Europe but the U.S. is still Bond's biggest single territory and Bond decreasing 20% in it's opening after Spectre already decreased 20% from Skyfall is worrisome going forward.  With a 3x multi (better than Spectre's 2.84) it'll sit at #21 of 26 adjusted for inflation   You think EON and MGM aren't currently dissecting what went wrong and what they're going to have to change for the next Bond actor and film?

I also feel Bond got over hyped because it was the first movie to be delayed due to the pandemic. Had there been no pandemic, it probably would have just come and gone without much disappointment but given the circumstances there were more eyes watching this performance 

19 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Weren’t Pierce Brosnan’s bond films absolutely horrendous? Keep him away, I’d say. 

Genre is a funny and fascinating thing.  Looked at through the lens of history, changes in culture, values, periods, nations, and gender norms, Brosnan's films are as interesting as any of the other Bonds -- possibly even more.  OK, Die Another Day gets pretty Camp.  But want to talk about horrendous?  Try getting through Diamonds Are Forever (Blofeld in Drag, anyone?) or A View to a Kill without gawking at the clearly-nip-tucked face of 57-year old Roger Moore pursuing a then 30 year-old Tanya Harding.  I love all of these movies, but every actor in the series has at least one clunker...and its usually their last one.  Otherwise, Brosnan's hold up as well as any others within their own cultural context.  

3 hours ago, Cruel Summer said:

i mean spectre was awful and this looked like part 2 of that. lea sydoux is boring as fuck and freddy mercury was a poor villain

If this is truly what 20 year-olds think of Bond right now, then there's why its underperforming in the U.S.  

But basically you're just a troll.  You ever come into this thread with anything valuable to say?  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Genre is a funny and fascinating thing.  Looked at through the lens of history, changes in culture, values, periods, nations, and gender norms, Brosnan's films are as interesting as any of the other Bonds -- possibly even more.  OK, Die Another Day gets pretty Camp.  But want to talk about horrendous?  Try getting through Diamonds Are Forever (Blofeld in Drag, anyone?) or A View to a Kill without gawking at the clearly-nip-tucked face of 57-year old Roger Moore pursuing a then 30 year-old Tanya Harding.  I love all of these movies, but every actor in the series has at least one clunker...and its usually their last one.  Otherwise, Brosnan's hold up as well as any others within their own cultural context.  

If this is truly what 20 year-olds think of Bond right now, then there's why its underperforming in the U.S.  

But basically you're just a troll.  You ever come into this thread with anything valuable to say?  

I don't think millenials are getting that specific, but yeah I mean 20 year olds DO think Bond is old-fashioned and square, tbh. Hell, fellow 28 year olds do, especially non-white ones.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It was promoted as more of the same as Spectre - 5 years later.  Fine for countries Spectre did well in, not for one where it wasn't well liked.  There was nothing in the marketing that showed what was fresh or different or would get back the people Spectre turned off or appeal to new ones.  

Bond is huge in Europe but the U.S. is still Bond's biggest single territory and Bond decreasing 20% in it's opening after Spectre already decreased 20% from Skyfall is worrisome going forward.  With a 3x multi (better than Spectre's 2.84) it'll sit at #21 of 26 adjusted for inflation   You think EON and MGM aren't currently dissecting what went wrong and what they're going to have to change for the next Bond actor and film?

I don’t think they are, no. 
All we’ve had is Venom opening to $90 million - when for all we know the ceiling was way bigger than that. 

Bond may well have performed just like the last couple of Craig outings in the US, minus the pandemic factor that’s had a little bite - just like everything else. 

It was only this week that $100 million was getting touted about, when expectations had always been in the region it’s opened at. 

I’m miles away from comparing domestic performances to others in a franchise until we really feel like business has returned to 100% normality. 

I dare say 20% down on Spectre will be the international number too. 

• Like 1