Eric Duncan

NO TIME TO DIE WEEKEND THREAD | Bond 56M, Venom 32M

No Time to Die succeeded in convincing many adults to show up at the box office for the first since COVID struck, but moviegoing for this quadrant still hasn’t hit pre-pandemic levels.

The Bond pic skewed male (64 percent), while 57 percent of ticket buyers were over the age of 35, including 36 percent over 45. By way of comparison, only 9 percent of ticket buyers for Venom: Let There Be Carnage on that film’s opening weekend were 45 and older.

More than 25 percent of No Time to Die ticket buyers said it was their first time going to the cinema since the pandemic began, according to a survey conducted by MGM. “This is the first meal that was served to an adult audience,” according to United Artists distribution chief Erik Lomis.

But will they be back for anything other than the biggest events?

• Like 4

Thinking of wide release films aiming mostly for older audiences:

Oct 15: Last Duel

Nov 19: King Richard (HBO Max)

Dec 10: West Side Story

Ghostbusters is nostalgia for old audiences but aims young with the kids. More of a family film. A lot of indies are screwed. Belfast for sure. PTA never had a hit so Licorice Pizza is what it is. At least French Dispatch has Wes young loyal fan base and Nightmare Alley has genre elements. I’ve said before Gucci can open ok because of Gaga’s fan base and the true crime aspect. There’s also Journal For Jordan which is obvious bomb 

No wonder Top Gun 2 was pushed 

7 hours ago, Valonqar said:

If you guys want really pathetic numbers, look no further from The Last Duel this weekend. The movie cannot be cheap (just Scott, Damon and Affleck likely cost half the budget or more) yet PS are between Stillwater and Green Knight which means barely breathing. Medieval genre does not sell in theaters. 

I mean...it's a 2.5 hour drama about sexual assault. It's less "medieval movies don't do well" and more "some topics are just tough sells to a broad audience no matter how you package them."

• Like 2

Was looking at some Bond review videos for older movies and I think an underrated reason Bond underperformed might be that the online reviewers already blew their load 18 months ago. A lot of Bond marathons and weekly reviews of the movies were written when the release date was April 2020. That big online push was missing this time

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

But will they be back for anything other than the biggest events?

So the underperomance is less to do with a lack of interest in Bond and more to do with america's poor handling of Covid keeping its target audience at home?

Edited by Chicago

14 minutes ago, Chicago said:

So the underperomance is less to do with a lack of interest in Bond and more to do with america's poor handling of Covid keeping its target audience at home?

They're saying the target audience came out - older adults - 25% of whom hadn't been to a film since Covid

36% over 45 v 9% over 45 for Venom  or about $19.872m v  $8.1m  in  B.O. from 45 and up

It's the younger ones that didn't show up in numbers.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They're saying the target audience came out - older adults - 25% of whom hadn't been to a film since Covid

36% over 45 v 9% over 45 for Venom  or about $19.872m v  $8.1m  in  B.O. from 45 and up

c41c7fdd6bf19c7d13e38dcc496f2bf7.gif

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Previous Bond 6 years ago had 35% of 50 and up OW (not 45 and up, which likely has 10% in the 45-50 range, b/c 20% was 35-45 range for this movie) show up...

35% of 50 and up  with overall OW BO of $70M is $25M BO 

26% of 50 and up (if you remove 10% of 45-50 as a WAG) with overall OW BO of $55.2M is $14.35M BO - or probably about half the equivalent OW 50 and up attendees after ticket price inflation effects

I don't know why Deadline felt like shading the ages to make it seem less bad when it was not good...now, that said, Bond also lost younger viewers, too, so maybe it was just only sending one part of the bad news, so adult dramas don't all freak out and kick or sell off...which they will probably do after this weekend...

https://deadline.com/2021/10/no-time-to-die-monday-box-office-domestic-1234854716/

MGM/United Artists Releasing/Eon’s Monday box office for No Time to Die came in much higher than the $5M-$6M expected with $6.94M thanks to the Indigenous Peoples’ Day holiday in the Northeast.

No Time to Die‘s Tuesday is currently pacing -23% off from yesterday because it’s coming off a holiday Monday; this despite the fact that Tuesday is usually a discount day at cinemas. Figure around $5.3M today for a five-day running total of $67.5M in U.S. and Canada for No Time to Die.

• Like 8

On 10/11/2021 at 2:03 PM, Mr Terrific said:

Baumer makes good point on capacity issue. 
There are also a decent chunk of people who are willing to go on a Wednesday afternoon who would be cautious about a full crowd. 
I’m good to see my MCU stuff right away, but might wait for something I’m less horny about. 

That's me.  I still ain't going to packed theaters.  I will see this on Wed. evening.  I've only been to theaters two times since Feb. 2020.  A friend dragged me to a half-empty screening of A Quiet Place II this summer, and then I saw a revival of Lawrence of Arabia at a local theater...during which an older couple right in front of me had their masks off the entire time, even though this theater's policy was to keep them on when not eating/drinking.  That didn't endear me further.  While there have been no "breakouts" really tied to theaters and I am vaccinated...I'm still being cautious.  

I'm a Ridley Scott fan and want to see The Last Duel, but still debating theaters or not.  

I'll probably catch DUNE in theaters just for the sound, even though I have HBOMax.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Macleod said:

That's me.  I still ain't going to packed theaters.  I will see this on Wed. evening.  I've only been to theaters two times since Feb. 2020.  A friend dragged me to a half-empty screening of A Quiet Place II this summer, and then I saw a revival of Lawrence of Arabia at a local theater...during which an older couple right in front of me had their masks off the entire time, even though this theater's policy was to keep them on when not eating/drinking.  That didn't endear me further.  While there have been no "breakouts" really tied to theaters and I am vaccinated...I'm still being cautious.  

I'm a Ridley Scott fan and want to see The Last Duel, but still debating theaters or not.  

I'll probably catch DUNE in theaters just for the sound, even though I have HBOMax.  

Don't feel bad...I bought tickets for Venom 2 with folks 3 seats away on one side and an empty 6 seats on the other.  Before leaving for the theater, I double-checked and seats were the same.  We got to the theater, sat down with the kids in the middle and my spouse and I on either end, (b/c we don't eat popcorn), and halfway through previews, a dad and son sat down right next to me with no masks, planning to have popcorn, when they could have skipped a seat or two and still had seats not on the end.

Anyway, I felt bad, but I got up and walked over to my spouse and asked him to switch seats with me b/c I didn't want anyone breathing on me (and it was the dad) for 2 hours at my 1st return to cinemas after my area peaked and came down mostly from Delta (but not where we were this summer).  I now have realized I'm gonna have to book the end row seating again for awhile til I feel good about having something literally breathing on me who isn't family...

• Like 3