Eric Atreides

NO TIME TO DIE WEEKEND THREAD | Bond 56M, Venom 32M

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@Let There Be Legion @john2000 I see. Thanks guys!

To be fair, Skyfall opened with 88M and Spectre with 70M so Bond was never superhero opening range in USA. UK blowup might have carried us away with 100M predix but currently projected range is in line. 

To be fair, it didn't blow up in the UK, it's just did business as usual here, seems to be the case in the US too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Doesn’t really matter what the cause is as far as analyzing employer side consequences goes 😛 

The only workers I really feel for are HGV drivers, must be a shit, depressing job as it is and most are paid by the mile rather than the hour so when someone decides to block busy motorways with protests, they are stuck in traffic on their own time rather than the employers

I'd just sell up and invest in a better business that didnt have to rely on lazy shits like these 🤣

Edited by Chicago

17 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

UK blowup might have carried us away with 100M predix but currently projected range is in line. 

UK didn't really overperform much either. Its weekend admits were about 25% less than Skyfall and ~20% less than Spectre.

That said, the film is not a FLOP. It will still open 65M+ in US, may be close to 70M and will eventually hit 165-180M most likely. Overseas will do 450M+, so quite easily over 700M. 

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

Just now, Chicago said:

I'd just sell up and invest in a better business that didnt have to rely on lazy shits like these 🤣

In the end, every business relies on the people you’re referring to as “lazy shits”

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

I am not a huge expert on bond franchise history, but this is the Craig finale and some finale bump is not uncommon iirc. In normalcy it would definitely beat specte nominal. I don’t think it would beat Skyfall nominal though since it is coming off reception of spectre, and certainly not beating Skyfall adjusted which was a clear overperformer.

I must admit that I belong to not an expert category too on Bond. Though I think finale factor works when its build up, just slapping finale on film don't do much right.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I'm not going to check this thread much this weekend just based on the last few pages of the tracking thread and first couple pages here and the hysterical doomsday negativity.  Me responding in this thread likely just gets me into trouble, so I'll spare Eric the pleasure of flexing his mod powers.  

With that said, let's have a little bit of perspective on the timeline leading up to this weekend....

- 9 weeks ago theaters were declared dead after TSS bombed.  Most were convinced that any big release was going to have to move to 2022 or be sold off to streaming.  

- 7 weeks ago the media and others were convinced that Venom 2 was moving to 2022 and going as far to publish it as a nearly confirmed rumor at CinemaCon.  

- 6 weeks ago Shang-Chi shocked all of those same people with a $76m opening despite being predicted in the $30m range and day and date on Disney+

- 5 weeks ago more than a few were still convinced NTTD was going to move

- 2 weeks ago Venom 2 and NTTD were predicted in roughly the $50m opening range and that was thought of as good if it happened

- 1 week ago Sony put out an opening weekend projection of $45m for Venom 2

- 5 days ago Venom 2 blew the doors off those projections and opened to $90m

- 3 days ago, based on nothing other than extrapolation, a media article puts out a $100m+ opening weekend projection for NTTD

- 2 days ago trackers were thinking $80m+

- Tonight the projection is $65m-$75m and somehow that is being turned into a disappointment

$60m+ opening for a 163 minute older skewing film on the tail end of a once in a century global pandemic where there are still a number of theaters not yet fully opened (or opened at all) or fully staffed and many have seating restrictions and mask mandates is a fantastic opening.  

I will not hear of this nonsense to the contrary.  

84489ac1737b5b0b7c1cacece4b0a0202d6992b8

So, you agree with me now that the theatrical world is not fully back, especially in certain markets and certain demos, so we can't assume everything is totally fine and release all movies as such, one on top of the other without care for who they draw:)...which has been another one of my broken record points since delta...

And you agree with me on what a Bond very good open is - $60M+:)...I'm actually not certain based on presales we're even getting $60M anymore (here's crossing fingers), but I did say $50M is at least good (just not very good), so we still have some room to fall and be good, if not nearly as revenue generating as Bond probably wanted when it didn't sell itself to streaming last year...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, XO21 said:

65-70m it's totally fine. People who are disappointed should keep their expectations in check for Eternals though.

I agree, although it will have the one advantage of all the Cinemark subscriptions resetting...only problem there is a Disney animated is coming out Thanksgiving, so they may not all buy for the 1st movie like they did this month...

Cinemark is a funny subscription that really does reward the 1st draw of the month, b/c you can use your "free paid" ticket and buy 2 discounted ones (aka either date or family of 3), but then you get no more tickets, discounted or otherwise, out of your pass for the month.  So, it's almost like when Moviepass ended, and people started feeling true cost vs reduced cost for their movies - you have to decide if you want to pay MORE than you did for your #1 chosen movie later in the month.  I know they have the policy to reduce fraud, but someone might want to whisper to Cinemark that they should offer 5 discounted extra tickets, not 2, so you could get 2-3 movies that could do really well with the subscribers in the chain each month:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

45 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Oh no you had to ask people to wear mask and keep socially distance just like EVERY JOB IN THE WORLD.

I'd just fire you all and employ others. Its not a hard job to replace and there's alot looking for jobs out there at the moment. These people have had a year off and the first thing they do when they get back is complain? How privileged 

You are an absolute clown mate. People getting assaulted and in some instances killed but "they should be thankful they have a job" get out of here with that nonsense. 

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/retail-workers-face-violence-from-shoppers-over-new-pandemic-rules-2020-5

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Okay, but how did they compare to spectre?

That had a 7 day opening. 

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@Chicago @charlie Jatinder My bad! I was under (false) impression that turnout in UK was unusually high. Thanks for correcting me. :)

It was unusually high, for the pandemic. £37.3m first week. Almost double the total gross of the nearest competitor. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

You are an absolute clown mate. People getting assaulted and in some instances killed but "they should be thankful they have a job" get out of here with that nonsense. 

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/retail-workers-face-violence-from-shoppers-over-new-pandemic-rules-2020-5

So have nurses, don't see them going on strike. But yeah I'm the clown. Everyone all over the world have had to add covid measures, these people are no different 

Edited by Chicago

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That had a 7 day opening. 

It was unusually high, for the pandemic. £37.3m first week. Almost double the total gross of the nearest competitor. 

and @Chicago

that's why it's my bad. I missed "for the pandemic" caveat. I thought it was overall including pre-pandemic. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1