Eric Atreides

No Hard Feelings | Sony | June 23, 2023 | The return of J-Law and R-rated comedies!

https://deadline.com/2021/10/sony-pictures-wins-no-hard-feelings-r-rated-comedy-vehicle-for-jennifer-lawrence-gene-stupnitsky-directing-his-script-1234855044/

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures is closing a deal for No Hard Feelings, an edgy comic vehicle for Jennifer Lawrence that will be directed by Gene Stupnitsky. Sony prevailed in stiff competition.

Script was written by Stupnitsky, whose credits range from The Office to Bad Teacher and Good Boys. He wrote the script with John Phillips. This is an R-rated comedy very much in that spirit, a raucous comedy in the vein of Bad Teacher and There’s Something About Mary. It’s a big package that had streamers all over it.

Sony won the deal for a sizeable sum and its zeal to provide a theatrical release for the comedy. Producers include Alex Saks, Marc Provissiero, Naomi Odenkirk, Lawrence and Justine Polsky. Phillips is an exec producer.

I think this has potential. But as another user pointed out, it's literally next to Strays. Another comedy that sounds more commercial and exciting. 

On the other hand, I want to believe that there will be market for both in June 2023. 

Strays sounds like it's going to be PG-13 while this is aiming for an R so the audience overlap shouldn't be particularly severe.

Assuming the rest of the cast for this will be announced soon since this is supposed to begin shooting soon for a release 11 months from now.

Looks fun and is something that would totally be a hit like 10 years ago, definitely reminds me of Bad Teacher. Hoping this can be a hit. I bet the budget is at least $30m tho, JLaw got a fat paycheck for this no doubt.

I do think it's such a weird outdated practice to have a trailer with no release date on it

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

This so would've been a Cameron Diaz vehicle 20 years ago

True, but it also looks like something Amy Schumer would star in like five years ago. I don't know what to say...it looks ok, nothing laugh out loud funny. I hope it's a hit though. I liked Bad Teacher

Everything about this seems generic. As people have said, this feels like a movie from a decade ago. The title is about as bland as possible.

But, I'm hoping it does well, because I'd love to see more comedies in general, and based on what we're seeing this year, it seems studios are ready to try again.

I am glad to see another R rated comedy headed to the big screen. Lawrence's protagonist did not seem very likeable which might impact the overall reception; but the film does look funny. If the film is solid, I could see this hitting $80M, maybe more, as the trailer reactions from female movie goers on Twitter look to be solid.