Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (10/15-17) | Halloween Kills 4.85M Previews, Last Duel 350K

4 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

I guess to move away from the doom and gloom about the state of adult-oriented films and awards hopefuls, I will fully admit that Halloween Kills' performance was a pleasant surprise. It's still a big drop from the last one, but even before the pandemic, I kinda felt this would have gotten a 35M opening, as I didn't see any big hook here that would make people come back. So potentially doing 10M more than that, despite the day-and-date release (yes I know nobody uses Peacock, but this movie is definitely a bigger deal and way more impactful than Boss Baby 2 was) is really good stuff IMO

Michael Myers has the one mask mandate we can all agree on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

That's fair. Personally, I am of the opinion that we are going to have to eat a few failures and rough patches to get back to normal. We need to slowly rebuild the audience and get people going to the movies again normally over many months. If we keep delaying things or putting them on streamers, the market will never get back to normal. We have to release and promote these things and rebuild bit by bit, even if it means a few failures at first. Last Duel has to die so something like Nightmare Alley or West Side Story can live.

I like this. I agree 100%. It applies to the current situation in the world in general. We can't keep delaying and hiding all that. Just have to gradually put one foot before the other and move forward. People will be encouraged to go back to the movies again after a steady stream of these movies releasing. If they don't and keep getting delayed it sort of perpetuates the feeling that things will never be normal again, if that makes sense.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If I remember correctly, the movie was halfway through shooting when production shut down due to COVID, which would probably explain why movies that were made during the worst of the pandemic would appear to have cut corners a bit.

King Richard is another one and I can't wait for that. It'll be really funny to see Venus and Serena inexplicably look a year older in certain shots and sequences.

• Like 1

Stillwater did 280k in previews before opening to 5.2M. If Last Duel follows that, it would be 6.5M, no? WOM also seems to be better than Stillwater so far, and it’s not opening in the summer when preview #s tend to be a bit bigger.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

I guess to move away from the doom and gloom about the state of adult-oriented films and awards hopefuls, I will fully admit that Halloween Kills' performance was a pleasant surprise. It's still a big drop from the last one, but even before the pandemic, I kinda felt this would have gotten a 35M opening, as I didn't see any big hook here that would make people come back. So potentially doing 10M more than that, despite the day-and-date release (yes I know nobody uses Peacock, but this movie is definitely a bigger deal and way more impactful than Boss Baby 2 was) is really good stuff IMO

Yep and with two full weekends to further capitalize on its namesake holiday coming up it's likely gonna either come really close to $100M or barely cross it. Pretty good audience retention for a sequel that was always destined to see a drop-off from the previous movie's overperformance.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yep and with two full weekends to further capitalize on its namesake holiday coming up it's likely gonna either come really close to $100M or barely cross it. Pretty good audience retention for a sequel that was always destined to see a drop-off from the previous movie's overperformance.

And this was the one that would bear most of the brunt of the drop from Halloween 2018. Next one will be explicitly marketed as the finale with no day and date and hopefully a better overall market, so should do high 40s as well.

40 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It is their opinion and I respect it (I like most of the MCU movies), but I've come to believe that it is less a personal preference in certain movies than a totally different, intractable conflict over how we consume and process movies and entertainment. And that's okay! But it's going to be a constant frustration if the entire industry adopts the formula and stylings of these movies, yes.

The more depressing/polarized the real world is, the more people will gravitate towards escapism in entertainment. The way the world is headed I don't see fun action genres losing traction any time soon. These things can still do well on streaming, but most people don't want to pay an extra $20 to be sad in theaters when life is hard enough. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

but most people don't want to pay an extra $20 to be sad in theaters when life is hard enough. 

But looks like they don't mind paying an extra $20 for garbage as long as it's smiling.

Edited by Firepower

26 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

King Richard is another one and I can't wait for that. It'll be really funny to see Venus and Serena inexplicably look a year older in certain shots and sequences.

That may end up working for the movie, especially if it covers a longer period of time AND if they had filmed the younger parts first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john2000 said:

i mean i never understood the so called formula, other than the duh hero,villain and  a similar tone everything else seems different to me shang chi is different than guardians , guardians are different compare to antman etc.Anyway reactions drop in 3 days i think

Yep. The "formula" doesn't seem anything different than conventions used in nearly every other big action franchise. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, john2000 said:

i mean i never understood the so called formula, other than the duh hero,villain and  a similar tone everything else seems different to me shang chi is different than guardians , guardians are different compare to antman etc.

Characters/sets are different, but everything else is the same.

• Like 1

Adult-oriented films will find their audience again. Surely it's not hard to remember that one of the last big pre-pandemic hits was 1917, an original WWI drama with no star power driven entirely by Oscar buzz. Other 2019 adult oriented films such as Parasite (a foreign film!) and Jojo Rabbit did really well as well. Again, sure, they had Oscar buzz (Parasite was literally the BP winner), but what matters is that the adult film was not dead before the pandemic, and it won't die off after it either.

The Last Duel came in at the wrong place at the wrong time, since adult audiences are still choosing not to return - just last week, No Time to Die, a Bond film, was the first time that a decent percentage of older moviegoers came back to theaters. The rape subject matter definitely didn't help, but that would've hurt it under any circumstances. I still very much look forward to seeing it myself, though in my case I believe I'll have to wait until it hits streaming.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, cookieleeann said:

Apparently I have Peacock premium. I had no idea. I guess it comes with the Xfinity internet (the service I have with then).

Congrats. Now you too can start to be blasted with several emails a month begging you to watch George Lopez.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I don't see how that's possible. Did they give each of Affleck, Damon, and Driver like 40 million?