Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (10/15-17) | Halloween Kills 4.85M Previews, Last Duel 350K

24 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I wouldn't trust that guy. He was fired by Fox for reviewing the leaked Wolverine movie. He has no sources

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

Does Peacock have any notable originals so far? It feels like the project they have coming up that's received the most attention is that Kate McKinnon/Carole Baskin thing (which already feels past its sell-by date given how Baskin has already been parodied to death).

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Who gives Ridley Scott 200m for a medieval film?

I think most of us could do better job as a Hollywood exec.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Does Peacock have any notable originals so far? It feels like the project they have coming up that's received the most attention is that Kate McKinnon/Carole Baskin thing (which already feels past its sell-by date given how Baskin has already been parodied to death).

Peacock is like if the Asylum had a streaming service. The Office, Premiere League and SNL library is keeping them going. Their movie library is ass, and all their launch originals flopped. Right now I think they have a Dan Brown show.

I have heard good things about Girls 5eva. But if you wanted a hit show, they wouldn't call it Girls 5eva

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I wouldn't trust that guy. He was fired by Fox for reviewing the leaked Wolverine movie. He has no sources

It is crazy that Fox got away with that. I think he settled out of court, but 20th Fox being able to use their influence to fire someone at Fox News would be a massive story today.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Peacock is like if the Asylum had a streaming service. The Office, Premiere League and SNL library is keeping them going. Their movie library is ass, and all their launch originals flopped. Right now I think they have a Dan Brown show.

I have heard good things about Girls 5eva. But if you wanted a hit show, they wouldn't call it Girls 5eva

I think it was announced a while back that they'll have the pay TV rights for Universal/Focus movies starting with 2022 releases when the HBO deal expires at the end of this year so I guess that's what they're banking on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

It is crazy that Fox got away with that. I think he settled out of court, but 20th Fox being able to use their influence to fire someone at Fox News would be a massive story today.

The guy is problematic. I think he reviewed Valkyrie without even seeing it. Or something like that. He was fired for a reason. He's full of shit

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Characters/sets are different, but everything else is the same.

So you naturally associate Wnter Soldier with Shang Chi and Shang Chi with Thor Ragnarok if they weren't set in the same cinematic universe?

Really?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Even accounting for Covid delays that would be a ridiculous budget. That article is weird, says the movie got mixed reviews at 86% RT, it's like it was prewritten right after the tepid Venice response and he just filled in the numbers this morning.

Sometimes when a movie flops, reporters will kind of inflate the budget to make it seem like an even bigger bomb, just to pile on. Or, when something they thought would flop does okay/hits big, they move the goldposts on profitability: "Yeah, this movie that cost $10 million had a $20 million opening weekend, but our sources say that with P&A and participation deals, the studio will lose money if it doesn't make $200 million!" An exaggerated example but Deadline does this a lot.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Girls5Eva is fun but it's not good enough to anchor a new streamer.

Their movie library is best described as a selection of fine movies you've already seen before. Movies that exhausted their goodwill when they were getting played to death on cable.  

• Like 1

I forget who said it (I think it was AJG?), but I remember somebody on here basically saying Peacock was the equivalent of a Wal-Mart $5 bin. Just full of weird direct-to-video titles and good films that everybody already owns and air on cable TV every other Sunday afternoon, like Twins, Knocked Up, Apollo 13, etc. Their originals, from what little I've seen, also feel like NBC shows that would have aired in 2007.

Paramount+ is a mess and like 75% of their content is available on competing services, but at least there are some nuggets of intrigue here. Peacock just feels like a gas station. I did enjoy watching the Universal Monsters movies on the service, but I think it's boneheaded they don't have all of them. If these studios want to compete in the streaming wars, they should really try and get all their movies and shows they own onto one service. Feel like that's the one way to really stand out and at least get cinephiles intrigued at seeing decades of film history under one low price.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Eric Atreides said:

they should really try and get all their movies and shows they own onto one service. Feel like that's the one way to really stand out and at least get cinephiles intrigued at seeing decades of film history under one low price.

Why don't they do it? I'd love to see Paramount old black and white movies

35 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So you naturally associate Wnter Soldier with Shang Chi and Shang Chi with Thor Ragnarok if they weren't set in the same cinematic universe?

Really?

It's hard to imagine them without the same cinematic universe when they remind about cinematic universe every 5 minutes in most of their movies.

Edited by Firepower

6 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

I forget who said it (I think it was AJG?), but I remember somebody on here basically saying Peacock was the equivalent of a Wal-Mart $5 bin. Just full of weird direct-to-video titles and good films that everybody already owns and air on cable TV every other Sunday afternoon, like Twins, Knocked Up, Apollo 13, etc. Their originals, from what little I've seen, also feel like NBC shows that would have aired in 2007.

Paramount+ is a mess and like 75% of their content is available on competing services, but at least there are some nuggets of intrigue here. Peacock just feels like a gas station. I did enjoy watching the Universal Monsters movies on the service, but I think it's boneheaded they don't have all of them. If these studios want to compete in the streaming wars, they should really try and get all their movies and shows they own onto one service. Feel like that's the one way to really stand out and at least get cinephiles intrigued at seeing decades of film history under one low price.

Paramount+ is a disaster. Likely rushed to market. No queue or list feature at launch, the BET brand tile hasn't had new content since launch, the Comedy Central, MTV and Nick tiles have only been curated once since launch. 

A ton of CBS produced shows that didn't air on CBS are not featured in the CBS tile, so the only way to find Frasier is to scroll through the massive A-Z list of comedy.

Their movie selection is a joke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you don't think all the MCU movies have very similar visual styles, emotional beats, and quippy humor, I really don't know what to tell you. I'm not even saying they're bad, but look at all the MCU movies next to the Raimi Spider-Man movies - they're much different in many ways!

• Like 10

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

If you don't think all the MCU movies have very similar visual styles, emotional beats, and quippy humor, I really don't know what to tell you. I'm not even saying they're bad, but look at all the MCU movies next to the Raimi Spider-Man movies - they're much different in many ways!

You dont need to say anything,after all like you said its all subjective

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

It's fucking showbiz411... This number is not accurate guys

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Firepower said:

It's hard imagine them without the same cinematic universe when they remind about cinematic universe every 5 minutes in most of their movies.

They are in the same franchise, made by the same producer/studio, based on the same comic book series and they ultimately overlap into the same movie. To criticize the saminess of MCU films is to me, a pretty lazy critique (no disrespect to you) that chooses to ignore what makes them different. If seeing all the movies was required to enjoy them, I would agree with you, but it isnt. The fact that the standalones are self-contained means those interconnected bits are just bonuses for the fans. I'd also add that they're mainly great by comparison. We're not talking about auteur filmmaking here, I think its difficult to argue that any other studio is close when it comes to consistently solid entries in a long-running, interconnected franchise. If you hate all things commercial more power to you, but I see too many fans of other blockbuster franchises lobbing comments like these against the MCU while lauding franchises that are clearly not doing it as successfully

More importantly, I'm psyched to see HK perform so well, the box office is clearly rearing its head again. It wasn't as good as the original in terms of character and story, but damn Michael is as menacing as he's ever been. Also hats off once again to the trackers, you guys are the best out there

Edited by Justin4125
  • Like 7