Porthos

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ETERNALS ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS***

Can someone explain me what was the motivation of the Deviant? Why did he showed up at the end to help Ikaris, according to a throw away line by BTH? Just to tie loose ends because the movie couldn't care less about it at that point.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Can someone explain me what was the motivation of the Deviant? Why did he showed up at the end to help Ikaris, according to a throw away line by BTH? Just to tie loose ends because the movie couldn't care less about it at that point.

He didn't show up to help Ikaris, he showed up to continue stealing their powers. Thena asks Phastos, "Why did you help Ikaris", he says, "We can't let that thing steal all our powers."

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

He didn't show up to help Ikaris, he showed up to continue stealing their powers. Thena asks Phastos, "Why did you help Ikaris", he says, "We can't let that thing steal all our powers."

Everyone was gonna die. Is that Deviant dumb? Why did he want their powers at that point? That makes it worse somehow. But thanks. I missunderstood some of the dialogue in that scene then.

Edited by CJohn

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Everyone was gonna die.

Maybe that's why it wanted their power, so he could leave the planet (the way Ikaris does) BEFORE the Celestial is born. Survival instinct. 

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

6 hours ago, CJohn said:

Dead at Kumail not being in the entire 3rd act. He couldn't film it or what?

That was odd but can we talk about how for all the fuss over his workout for the movie, he barely did much to have justified it? :lol:He only has a handful of action moments (a couple of which were likely done by a stunt double from certain angles) and we barely get to see footage from any of his character's Bollywood movies. Did most of that material plus a possible gratuitous shirtless scene get cut from the final movie or did he just use his casting in this to finally motivate himself into achieving the goal of having the body he always wanted lol.

Thinking over it more, I think the movie's main failing is that we're supposed to see all 10 of these characters as some sort of family in addition to a team, yet I never got the sense that any of them truly cared for each other, even though most of the actors have proven their talents elsewhere. For example, we're supposed to believe that Sersi and Ikarus had a deep love for each other that lasted thousands of years, yet Chan and Madden (despite being among arguably the prettiest people in Hollywood today) throughout the movie have the chemistry of two actors whose only previous encounter before the cameras started rolling was quickly passing by each other at the Met Gala or something.

Edited by filmlover

just gonna jump in and say that I legitimately don't understand the abysmal reviews this movie is getting. 

Lukewarm I can see it, it's a morally complex slow-burn movie that's not for everyone, but being straight-up murdered on RT like it's an abandoned Roland Emmerich's Assistant Director-Directed disaster movie without any disaster scenes in it?

oh hell no

That is all

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

just gonna jump in and say that I legitimately don't understand the abysmal reviews this movie is getting. 

Lukewarm I can see it, it's a morally complex slow-burn movie that's not for everyone, but being straight-up murdered on RT like it's an abandoned Roland Emmerich's Assistant Director-Directed disaster movie without any disaster scenes in it?

oh hell no

That is all

They're not abysmal. It's just lots of 2/5's and 3/5's.

It only stands out because this is the kind of consensus a lot of not-great MCU films should've been getting already.

I thought Kingo not taking side and staying the f out of the final fight was brilliant. Haven't seen a move so true to the character that was established in the previous 2 hours. I was fully expecting him to make a superhero entrance but darn I was so glad he didn't and whoever thought of that is a genius.

• Like 6