Porthos

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ETERNALS ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS***

The deviant's role in the movie is kind of a twist. First, they acted as the reason for the appearance of the eternals. then it turned out they were just a kind of distraction. there was no typical real hero x villian, black x white in this movie. there was only conflicts based on differences in ideals, morals and views on life. deviant was now the 3rd party to further emphasize the climax conflicts. One side just wanted to follow orders, and do the same as what they al already did for years, accepted the destruction of the earth so that new celestial beings could be born, continue to create, research and develop new creatures in the future. the other side did not want to abadon the earth, wanted to protect the people whom they have spent long time with. Meanwhile, now deviants were like pitiful creatures that just wanted to continue to survive (by feeding on people)  and acted based on survival instincts (probably deviant wasn't smart enough to understand the real upcoming situation. Maybe only Kro knew so he wanted to steal the Eternals's power to evolve with the hope to escape).

Edited by Danhjpn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Movie where Ikaris kills all the Eternals >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> whatever this is.   

The only relevant Eternals were Ajak, Sersi, Ikaris, and Phastos. You could take out the rest. 

I'm not even sure whether Phastos was relevant. It was baby Celestial who powered up all Eternals, not Phastos invention whatever it was, because newborn celestials always protected Eternals. That's how Eternals always survived. So Sersi used that energy against the baby. And was sorry later but such is life.

Makari found the Celestial because she could sense vibrations, so that was something no one else could do. 

But I agree that, when it comes to impact on the plot, it's just 3 out of 10 - Ajak, Sersi and Ikaris. Makari and Phastos helping. Thena and Gilgamesh were completely superfluous and you could remove their side story and get a better, more tightly paced movie.  

On 11/8/2021 at 12:04 AM, Menor said:

I find it odd that people find Kingo not being in the final battle odd. His motivations were explained multiple times! 

On 11/8/2021 at 11:26 AM, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I thought Kingo not taking side and staying the f out of the final fight was brilliant. Haven't seen a move so true to the character that was established in the previous 2 hours. I was fully expecting him to make a superhero entrance but darn I was so glad he didn't and whoever thought of that is a genius.

This this this! he explained it. It was very in character. And then they didn't pull a Han Solo trope with his coming back at the last moment to save the day. That was great. 

I thought it was hilarious that Eternals were blasting each other with all kinds of power beams and barely a scratch and then Druig just clobbered Sprite with a simple rock and she plopped unconscious. :lol: My audience burst into laugh and cheers when he interrupted her BS "poor me" speech with the rock and "That was moving". Good quip. 

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I'm not even sure whether Phastos was relevant. It was baby Celestial who powered up all Eternals, not Phastos invention whatever it was, because newborn celestials always protected Eternals. That's how Eternals always survived. So Sersi used that energy against the baby. And was sorry later but such is life.

Makari found the Celestial because she could sense vibrations, so that was something no one else could do. 

But I agree that, when it comes to impact on the plot, it's just 3 out of 10 - Ajak, Sersi and Ikaris. Makari and Phastos helping. Thena and Gilgamesh were completely superfluous and you could remove their side story and get a better, more tightly paced movie.  

Phastos created that damn Deus Ex Machina that stops the world from ending.     

The other Eternals, including Makari, were extremely irrelevant to the plot,  

Ikaris's heel turn was kinda comical.

He gets a flashback after assembling the only group of people that can stop his goals

Then goes to the team to explain his evil intentions.   

Then he suicides himself when he fails. 

Was never really shown why Ikaris feels so strongly about this issue.   

The most satisfying ending would have been Eternals stopping the rise of Tiamut  

But Ikaris kills each and every one of them.  

Ushering in a Villain Arc that could be rival Thanos. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Phastos created that damn Deus Ex Machina that stops the world from ending.     

The other Eternals, including Makari, were extremely irrelevant to the plot,  

Ikaris's heel turn was kinda comical.

He gets a flashback after assembling the only group of people that can stop his goals

Then goes to the team to explain his evil intentions.   

Then he suicides himself when he fails. 

Was never really shown why Ikaris feels so strongly about this issue.   

The most satisfying ending would have been Eternals stopping the rise of Tiamut  

But Ikaris kills each and every one of them.  

Ushering in a Villain Arc that could be rival Thanos. 

Though I do agree with you on ikaris' plan being dumb. Him killing the eternals yet we have barely known them is a tad bit melodramatic.

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2021 at 1:27 PM, Eternal Legion said:

Well, now that this thread exists, I guess here’s the full plot leak from 6 months ago for those who are in to that sort of thing: 

How are these things allowed. This feels like such wrong thing to be allowed. I hope the guy is thrown behind bars.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

LOL, this leak has nothing on TROS leak from the Reddit Mod, and then the legendary Burger King Germany commercial that used it to sell their Spoiler Whopper. :hahaha:

Also, NHW and DS2:MoM leaked too. So Marvel leaks are business as usual.

Edited by Valonqar

On 11/5/2021 at 9:31 PM, Gavin Feng said:

Someone on local social media say there was a scene that Phastos or someone cried when atomic bomb explosion happened in Japan. Is that real and how it shows it? Because another wave of flak just came. 

Nothing political abt it frankly. People are dumb.

Phastos cries for general destruction human are capable of doing now since he advanced them in tech.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2021 at 7:19 AM, VenomXXR said:

Eternals 2 will be 2025 at the earliest, maybe 2026. 

I get that but like events of Eternals are HUGE. There is now a BiG celestial body sitting in earth, though like earth should be destroyed by just that, I will be very sad if they just ignore that for rest 5-6 years MCU.

Having watched this movie twice thanks to a friend inviting for a second viewing.

Originally I had this above widow but now it's below widow and strange.

The films biggest failing is the characters who are paper thin with the exception of kingo. For Gods who  have been on earth for 7000 years,their backstory is either thin or non existent, most of them are one note and barely go any significant arcs.

The first act is simply bad because it tries to provide it but it's so rushed while the act as a whole being a slog at the same time. 

The flashbacks with exception of the one where ikaris kills ajak. We get to see how the love story btn ikaris and cersi begins and oh boys is it bland. For poeple who have supposedly loved each other for centuries, their is zero chemistry and the story does nothing of significance to build it up whatsoever. We get the most akward 
sex scene then it's jumps to them getting married ...boring.

The 1521 AD scene is the worst in the movie, their is war in the background,theena suddenly turning on the team,druig questioning the purpose of the eternals which is just character exposition bse we barely know who he is as a character and his motivations,then the team which we barely know just deciding to split up and galgamesh deciding to take care of theena . 

This whole scene is bad because too 
much is going on and it tries to question the morality of the eternals with zero build up. We barely get the dynamic of the team and their relationship with humanity in this flashback. This scene lacks story and emotional connective tissue. Shit is happening to establish the conflict of the story.

And oh yeah ajak dies without we knowing her . When the eternals mourn her ,I just don't care bse I didn't know their relationship .

The whole first act was jumping from place to place with zero to little context for both the world and characters . It was  bvs theatrical cut bad.

The second act stops trying to make their backstory and focuses on the characters at the present which improves the movie.

Kingo is by far the best thing about this movie . Him and his assistant inject much needed energy and clever humour Into the movie that was just dull to this point. He plays so we'll of the eternals and vice versa
Of all the eternals he has the most connection to humanity and the chemistry btn him and his assistant is great and works for great comedic timing. Love his arc in the third arc of the movie, he understands arishem's plan and the importance of the creation for celestials but he is not willing to intervene or hurt the eternals for that and he sticks to his guns.

Ikaris though one note and his bland relationship with cersi is my second favorite character, he has firm motivation  and is willing to kill for it though his plan being dumb and the choices he makes not to stop cersi doesn't feel earned due to them having no chemistry and their relationship not being developed. I liked the plot twist of him killing ajak it would have worked better if we knew the dynamic and relationship btn them.

The rest though,

Gilgamesh had fine chemistry with theena but separate them they really don't have much going on. Gilgamesh with the exception of helping to choose theena ,I can't really define his character, sure he cooks and throws a mean punch .

Theena without the plotline of her having memory issues is just a warrior ,I can't really define who she is as a character, After gilgamesh's death she just walks through the plot till the finale.

Well druig is one the worst characters the more I think about it. He questions the eternals purpose earlier in the movie then the mind controls a colony!! . This is barely addressed the movie. Yeah he didn't like the eternals meddling but he is doing the same thing ,if zhao was trying to put forth a theme here .it wasn't put forth well bse I don't see it.

Phastos is simply brought too late into the movie . They randomly introduce world saving device too late into the movie which is just lazy for this kind of movie with high aspirations. At least he has an ample motivation to save his family but he is just barely in the movie.

Makkari is likable and has some of the best speedster movement I've seen but she is barely in the movie .

Yeah now the two worst characters in the movie.

Sprite is simply wasted potential . An eternal in a child's body who wants to experience love and adulthood but can't,loves ikaris but it's barely explored and her turning on the rest of the eternals  who are family b'se she loves ikaris is just dumb and just turns her character into a selfish prick and the moment she stabs cersi to stop her from stopping the emergence then getting comically banged in the head was a jarring tonal shift. They just didn't treat her character seriously 

Have nothing to say about ajak who has led eternals through multiple emergences and they do fuck all with her.

Cersi is simply the worst, she lacks chemistry with the rest of the characters, she is just there, no flaw,no motivation,no purpose, she says they have to save humanity bse.... . They say she loves humanity which is just exposition. She is just good and altruistic for the plot's sake.
At least CM had amnesia ,she is the main lead and 7000 yr old eternal. I can't describe anything about her character, the rest at least have something, she is simply a blank slate.

The scene when arimesh reveals the true eternals plan is mind-blowing and when of the few moments of actual world building . 

This movie ain't as dense as reviews are saying , it's just incredibly long and world building is simply weak , deviant plotline is thin and ruins part of the third act. Their design is so uninspired.

This movie has way too many characters and seems it wanted to be character focused but it really fails to connect the characters , Their backstories are  really thin and with exception of kingo, the rest feel kind hollow, even what's interesting is barely explored. 
They don't really feel like they are or ever were family tbh.

Sure in structure it's a typical marvel movie , yeah it's a bit slow and takes it time, no quips per minute but it fails even what typical marvel is good at , creating well defined and relatable characters.

Yeah third act is normal. The premise of eternal fighting another eternal one of their own has betrayed them is great on paper but I just didn't care enough bse the dynamic btn them ain't properly developed. 

For the love of God they are told their purpose on earth was a lie and they are like ehh ok..
I excuse ikaris he knew.

Pet peeve. Arimesh making them robots was kind of dumb. 

So I guess they resist their  programming bse he clearly tells not to interfere in human life and the first instance they do.

Why would he make a deaf robot wouldn't that hinder there capabilities to a point.

Last of all. He said there prime directive was ofcorse to fight the deviants and let the earth multiply and the population to reach  the required amount and advance which would then make it ripe for tiamut to rise then why didn't they stop thanos he clearly was a threat to this.

Overall weak 6/10. Great premise, lacklustre execution.

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Thanks 1

I agree with a lot of points. I enjoyed the movie in the way I enjoy PT. I acknowledge poor execution but love the ideas. That's why I keep coming back to PT but not to better OT. So Eternals is my jam more than better executed basic movies such as SC that I don't care to revisit. It was fun while it lasted but I moved on. 

Agreed that 1521 AD was the worst in the movie and I daresay one of the worst in Marvel. Maybe second only to "Don't call them terrorists! Do better!" which was the nadir. Misguided scenes that try to comment on something not in universe tend to look moronic in universe. Eg, Flagsmashers were 100% terrorists but someone wanted Wilson to comment on real life protests/unrest, so we got completely WTF defense of characters who got innocent people firebombed, killed a good guy, were ready to kill Wilson had it not been for Sharon, and therefore were terrorists from in universe POV. same thing with 1521 AD. I get that the commentary was that conquest shouldn't have happened but holy molly the awkward execution right down to Druig mind-controlling both sides and making them drop weapons like zombies and just follow him...who thought that was a good idea? Seriously, what was the solution, just brainwash everyone and have them sing Kumbaya because some higher being stripped them off their free will? That humans will get along only if mind-controlled? And on top of that, Thena starts to act irrational which led to absolutely nothing. Her fits never revealed anything but were retroactively explained, so they weren't needed. Just extraneous, running time bloating material. Like, did anyone give a shit why she was like that considering she was a paper thin character who mostly looked smug? And speaking of Druig, why was his mind-control power important in fighting Deviants? Did he ever control their mind? I don't remember. 

I did like or even love the exposition about Eternals creation and what their mission was. I'm s sucker for cosmogonic mythological shit and that also had some really neat visuals. Also, Arishem appearing above the Earth when he came to pick up the Eternals who stayed  was a great sight. 

I have to say this, immortal characters are always boring and nonsensical cause they always end up doing the same thing over and over. The Cullens perpetually attended the highschool. Kingo perpetually starred in Bollywood movies. Charlize Theron's character in awful Old Guard was perpetually morose and on the run from who cares what. Makari spent centuries just reading books. Etc. Fiction doesn't know wtf to do with anyone whose life is loooong so they become a sort of no-lifer versions of mortals. Don't get me wrong, Kingo is a great character as a character but what he did for eternity is that silly "immortals are stuck doing one thing over and over" trope. Surely after posing as 4 generation Bollywood star he would want to try something else? or most likely wouldn't stick around after 2d generation? 

Finally, for all the romance-centric promos and director's assurance, this had too many characters to focus on Ikaris/Sersi who felt as tacked on as an average Marvel side romance. 2 min montage of longing glances, sex on the beach and Hindu wedding does not a romance make when the characters ended up separated for 600 years, which is when the story picks up. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I get that the commentary was that conquest shouldn't have happened but holy molly the awkward execution right down to Druig mind-controlling both sides and making them drop weapons like zombies and just follow him...who thought that was a good idea? Seriously, what was the solution, just brainwash everyone and have them sing Kumbaya because some higher being stripped them off their free will? That humans will get along only if mind-controlled?

Yes...this is indeed what Druig thought at the time. I don't get the confusion here. He later realized that it wouldn't work and so didn't bother going through with his plan of mind-controlling all of humanity. 

Also responding to stuff brought up earlier in the thread, I think it was quite obvious why Ikaris feels so strongly about following the Celestials. The entire movie his character is portrayed as the one who is obsessed with duty like when he apologizes to Ajak for having feelings for Sersi since it would distract him from his duty. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chaz said:

The only redeeming quality of this movie is how badly I want to bottom for Richard Madden.

The Best Oprah Winfrey GIFs of All Time - E! Online - CA

Before this came out Madden was one of my main choices to be the next 007 but figured this would make him too famous to be considered. If this is gonna end up doing nothing for his career whatsoever I guess there's no reason to withdraw him yet lol.