Porthos

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ETERNALS ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS***

How is it this that gets a rotten score? I mean sure it's not a masterpiece but it's far better than a lot of the other entries in the MCU. I thought the pacing was off and agree with a lot of the comments here that it could have had a good 20 mins edited out. Still a solid 7/10 in my book though.

I think WOM will be good. It wasn't boring at all. If you read reviews you'd think it was the most boring movie ever but nope. At least I didn't feel the running time. I'm whole-heartedly recommending this. 

It may be a mixed bag that tries too much but there's a lot of novelty that I think audience will love - history hopping (especially Babylon), romance (it's actually less of a focus that you may think from previews since there's too many characters but love in general is a big theme), humor really works (I've seen complaints that it didn't but my theater laughed in all the right places - Kingo and Karun were a huge hit with the audience as they should be), cosmogonic element was both WTF (MCU created the universe and gifted humans with advancement tech) and awesome and ties in with other movies (remember Knowhere from GOTG that was made of a celestial being skull?), looks beautiful (rea locations, attractive cast for the most part, while I found Thena annoying af the way she pulls weapons out of a thin air was beautiful), so I think people will be pleasantly surprised now that expectations are considerable lowered.  

This movie deserves so much more praise than it's getting. 

Makkari was great af. Druig was awesome. Sersei was also really cool. My favourite was Ikaris. I also really liked the way they portrayed Celestials. 

In the end no Eternals remains on Earth. Also if Eternals are just Robot then how come Eros is brother of Thanos? 

Is Thanos even was born or just created by Celestials? I HAVE SO MANY NEW QUESTIONS. 

20 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

This movie deserves so much more praise than it's getting. 

Makkari was great af. Druig was awesome. Sersei was also really cool. My favourite was Ikaris. I also really liked the way they portrayed Celestials. 

In the end no Eternals remains on Earth. Also if Eternals are just Robot then how come Eros is brother of Thanos? 

Is Thanos even was born or just created by Celestials? I HAVE SO MANY NEW QUESTIONS. 

I just googled Eros and it turns out that Eternals are no robots in CB but an undying race of humans. So Thanos and Eros had a mother and father who were Eternals. The movie seems to have changed the origin of Eternals. 

Question: if I understood it correctly, the newborn celestial powered up the Eternals to save them from destruction, correct? But Sersi used that energy to turn him into a stone which explains her remorse later. That's when they realized how Eternals always survived, the Celestial would keep them safe.

5 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Do you think it would have scored higher with critics were it not directed by Zhao? Did her name being attached make them have higher expectations?

Yes 100% and also the fact that it deviated from MCU formula 

• Like 1

I think, no matter who was attached, if you send an overhype email such as "_______ absolutely killed it. we are in disbelief what we have on our hands" to a big website (EW.com I believe) because you want the word out, and then proceed to say that the movie was going to win the Oscar, expectations will be through the roof.  I still don't know how the fuck could anyone even look at Deviants and think 'this is an Oscar movie" but here we are.

That said, now that expectations are considerably lower, WOM will rise. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

I think, no matter who was attached, if you send an overhype email such as "_______ absolutely killed it. we are in disbelief what we have on our hands" to a big website (EW.com I believe) because you want the word out, and then proceed to say that the movie was going to win the Oscar, expectations will be through the roof.  I still don't know how the fuck could anyone even look at Deviants and think 'this is an Oscar movie" but here we are.

That said, now that expectations are considerably lower, WOM will rise. 

Studio hubris is a powerful thing.

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I just googled Eros and it turns out that Eternals are no robots in CB but an undying race of humans. So Thanos and Eros had a mother and father who were Eternals. The movie seems to have changed the origin of Eternals. 

Question: if I understood it correctly, the newborn celestial powered up the Eternals to save them from destruction, correct? But Sersi used that energy to turn him into a stone which explains her remorse later. That's when they realized how Eternals always survived, the Celestial would keep them safe.

Yes. You are right. Eternals basically are their servants. Nothing else. 

This theme if explored more could be really good for MCU. 

But this will make whole Thanos Saga a anomaly as he actually lived normal life but that's not possible. 

One thing that also struck me with this movie is this - what is the explanation for the world itself not being changed all that much on a technological level?

With Stark/Wakanda etc. all existing would the general level of tech not be far further ahead than we have now? I mean Stark's reactor alone would totally transform energy production.

16 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Do you think it would have scored higher with critics were it not directed by Zhao? Did her name being attached make them have higher expectations?

I was actually thinking earlier that I suspect it would be fresh if it came out before her Oscar win (or she just didn't win).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eternal Legion said:

I was actually thinking earlier that I suspect it would be fresh if it came out before her Oscar win (or she just didn't win).

100%. I think you can easily add 10-15% on the critics score had she not won that Oscar/it came out before.

25 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Studio hubris is a powerful thing.

yes. It's how they can be so off. This was supposed to be an awards player which means critic's darling among other things. Yet it failed with critics and spectacularly so. I have no doubt that audience that doesn't care about the awards will be entertained. But the studio expected more and not only didn't get it but it went in the opposite way (made history as the first rotten movie). They also had little faith in Wandavision (hence limited series) and too much in FATWS but it was Wandavision that not only swept the Emmys with above the line nominations but became a benchmark for Marvel D+ shows. While FATWS failed with Emmys and will remain the worst audience rated D+ show for a time being. 

23 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Yes. You are right. Eternals basically are their servants. Nothing else. 

This theme if explored more could be really good for MCU. 

But this will make whole Thanos Saga a anomaly as he actually lived normal life but that's not possible. 

I'm excited. Rooting for more of this whether in movies or D+. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

Someone on local social media say there was a scene that Phastos or someone cried when atomic bomb explosion happened in Japan. Is that real and how it shows it? Because another wave of flak just came. 

real and is terrible. Phastos who is an inventor was crying to Ajak his leader that humans didn't deserve their protection cause his inventions that helped them develop led to making the atomic bomb. Marvel is really clumsy when they try to do social commentary. Also BTH acting was terrible. he's usually really good but he plain sucked in this movie.

Edited by Valonqar

Just got out. So many thoughts but it’s all jumbled right now. Gonna write detailed review later. Glad I was in self-blackout mode and managed to avoid spoilers. 

Sersi is my goddess. That’s all for now. 

• Like 1