Porthos

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ETERNALS ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS***

I do think the hot takes around Marvel that have been going around for a year since Scorsese had a lot to do with the reception critics gave this. Not him specifically, but it stands out that after all the theme park comments when Marvel makes a movie that is very much not trying to be blockbustery it gets shot down.

As for how it'll affect future Marvel stuff I think it'll mostly mean putting any "less blockbuster" stuff on Disney+ from now on. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the Eternals show up next, or at least Dane.

Edited by SpiderByte

Marvel fans are gonna be team Scorsese when they discover his thoughts on rotten tomatoes

The brutal judgmentalism that has made opening-weekend grosses into a bloodthirsty spectator sport seems to have encouraged an even more brutal approach to film reviewing. I’m talking about market research firms like Cinemascore, which started in the late ‘70s, and online “aggregators” like Rotten Tomatoes, which have absolutely nothing to do with real film criticism. They rate a picture the way you’d rate a horse at the racetrack, a restaurant in a Zagat’s guide, or a household appliance in Consumer Reports. They have everything to do with the movie business and absolutely nothing to do with either the creation or the intelligent viewing of film. The filmmaker is reduced to a content manufacturer and the viewer to an unadventurous consumer.

These firms and aggregators have set a tone that is hostile to serious filmmakers — even the actual name Rotten Tomatoes is insulting. And as film criticism written by passionately engaged people with actual knowledge of film history has gradually faded from the scene, it seems like there are more and more voices out there engaged in pure judgmentalism, people who seem to take pleasure in seeing films and filmmakers rejected, dismissed and in some cases ripped to shreds.

23 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I do think the hot takes around Marvel that have been going around for a year since Scorsese had a lot to do with the reception critics gave this. Not him specifically, but it stands out that after all the theme park comments when Marvel makes a movie that is very much not trying to be blockbustery it gets shot down.

As for how it'll affect future Marvel stuff I think it'll mostly mean putting any "less blockbuster" stuff on Disney+ from now on. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the Eternals show up next, or at least Dane.

I thought this was far better than critics gave it credit for, but no. Audiences didn't give this a B Cinemascore because of Scorsese.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Menor said:

I thought this was far better than critics gave it credit for, but no. Audiences didn't give this a B Cinemascore because of Scorsese.

Cinemascore is a measure of rewatchability, not quality. Lots of movies are great that get shit cinemascore and vice versa. I think some critics thought Marvel needed to be "taken down a peg", and they made that vocally clear for months leading up to their "surprising" negative reviews.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Dane will show up next in Blade movie for what's it worth. Don't know about Eternals as none of them is on Earth anymore, can easily be held back for some time. 

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Cinemascore is a measure of rewatchability, not quality. Lots of movies are great that get shit cinemascore and vice versa. I think some critics thought Marvel needed to be "taken down a peg", and they made that vocally clear for months leading up to their "surprising" negative reviews.

Critic reviews for the MCU specifically tend to have a good correlation with US audience scores. So, whatever criteria that the audience is using to give it bad scores is the same criteria that critics are using to give it bad scores. Obviously there are some exceptions (I doubt many audience members care about the "too much MCU, not enough Zhao" complaint in particular) but overall the scores are consistent. I think you're confusing super online Film Twitter people with critics at large. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Dane will show up next in Blade movie for what's it worth. Don't know about Eternals as none of them is on Earth anymore, can easily be held back for some time. 

I'm not sure that scene is meant to be for the Blade movie. It's been reported that Blade may be in Moon Knight, which fits Black Knight better than a movie about vampires. It could even be a tee up for Black Knight getting a film/show himself.

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I'm not sure that scene is meant to be for the Blade movie. It's been reported that Blade may be in Moon Knight, which fits Black Knight better than a movie about vampires. It could even be a tee up for Black Knight getting a film/show himself.

They are probably setting up Midnight Sons. 

Moon Knight, Black Knight and Blade are all in mix. I am more worried about Eternals future rather than Dane's.

17 minutes ago, Menor said:

Critic reviews for the MCU specifically tend to have a good correlation with US audience scores. So, whatever criteria that the audience is using to give it bad scores is the same criteria that critics are using to give it bad scores. Obviously there are some exceptions (I doubt many audience members care about the "too much MCU, not enough Zhao" complaint in particular) but overall the scores are consistent. I think you're confusing super online Film Twitter people with critics at large. 

I'm just saying there was, and is, a very vocal segment of critics who were very locked in on this specific movie. From posting spoilers, even straight out of the premiere, the coverage on Eternals has been vastly different not just for Marvel but even among other big releases, where movies with lower box office are "phenomenons" and "dominating" whereas Eternals, even when opening bigger and expected to do better even if the legs are weaker, is apparently "tanking".

I don't think it's outlandish or fanboyish to point out that Eternals has been covered very, very differently than any individual film has been in a while, since maybe Joker in 2019.

The funny thing is though now Marvel's less likely to take big swings like they did with Eternals, at least in their films, so those same people upset at Marvel for "sticking to the formula" have now given them plenty of incentive to do so.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

What I think is likely to happen is Eternals going to D+? But will Angelina and Harry Styles return for that? I don't think so. 

They probably are going to change some storylines in background to keep the saga going. 

Harry should've appeared in The Marvels or Young Avengers instead of this. I think Eros, Thena and Kingo would still be perfect for stuff like Doctor Strange 3, Thor 5, The Marvels sequel and a possible Avengers 5. If I were Marvel, I'd course correct this Celestials plotline among those films to setting up mutants in the MCU. They already mentioned in the movie that "energy cannot be destroyed, it can only be converted". Sersi killing the Earth Celestial could lead to the energy redirecting itself to human beings and creating the X-Gene (SCIENCE!1!). Or Arishem thinking homo sapiens were unworthy of the Celestial sacrifice but he would compensate by creating the homo superior race to continue the process of evolution.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

can we talk about how Makkari and Druig are the best MCU couple ever. The Chemistry was extraordinary.

These 2 deserve a separate movie.

I want a sequel or a spin-off just for them. :cloud9:

29 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

They can also  be absorbed into crossover cosmic movies (The Marvels, Fantastic 4, GOTG Vol 3, you name it). I don't think Marvel is going to drop them but there may be a ,longer time before they appear as Eternals 2 team. Rebrand and rebuild. 

Who or what is Midnight Sons?

I think that Eros/Starfox is a go but whether in a crossover, Eternals 2 or solo remains to be seen. They wouldn't drop Harry Styles so whatever plans they have they can adjust them but he stays. 

2 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Harry should've appeared in The Marvels or Young Avengers instead of this. I think Eros, Thena and Kingo would still be perfect for stuff like Doctor Strange 3 and Thor 5. If I were Marvel, I'd course correct this Celestials plotline among those films to setting up mutants in the MCU. They already mentioned in the movie that "energy cannot be destroyed, it can only be converted". Sersi killing the Earth Celestial could lead to the energy redirecting itself to human beings and creating the X-Gene (SCIENCE!1!). Or Arishem thinking homo sapiens were unworthy of the Celestial sacrifice but he would compensate by creating the homo superior race to continue the process of evolution.

This probably won't happen imo but cool idea nonetheless. I have a feeling X-men might have a multiverse concept. 

I didn't like Kingo much. But I hope Makkari and Druig make into something. They are literal gem.

Sersi , I am not worried about as she has very big comic history compared to other Eternals. She has been part of Avengers alongside Black Knight. The problem is her getting captured. 

Also, Celestials don't seem like good guys. 

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Who or what is Midnight Sons?

They are basically supernatural superhero team. Moon Knight , Blade and now Black Knight etc..

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

They can also  be absorbed into crossover cosmic movies (The Marvels, Fantastic 4, GOTG Vol 3, you name it). I don't think Marvel is going to drop them but there may be a ,longer time before they appear as Eternals 2 team. Rebrand and rebuild. 

Yes that can happen but the thing is they ended the movie on cliffhanger which needs to be resolved and will logically don't well for Eternals. 

Celestials are not going to set them free so easily.