WrathOfHan

Box Office Theory's Top 100 Horror Movies: Vol. 2 | #1 has been revealed!

I was one of the new submissions for Carrie.  I hadn't seen it since I was about 15, then found it at Walmart in the $5.00 bin. It's really well done and surprisingly, the remake with Chloe Grace and Julianne Moore is also pretty good.  But the original is creepy and relevant and crazy all wrapped into one package.  I had it ranked 95 on my list but it wasn't on there before.  And I think it might go up the rankings over the next few years.

• Like 2

24. Les Diaboliques (1955) (72 Points)

rRch-e_zn6FZZzjelUPEd7yIPV29XKFm25-1k52O

Previous Ranking: #40 (+16)

Director: Henri-Georges Clouzot

Screenwriters: Henri-Georges Clouzot, Jerome Geromoni

Starring: Simone Signoret, Véra Clouzot, Paul Meurisse, Charles Vanel

Synopsis: The wife and mistress of a loathed school principal plan to murder him with what they believe is the perfect alibi.

Box Office: N/A

Critical Reviews: 96% on RT

Appearances on Other BOT Lists: 38th on Top 100 Foreign Films

Submissions Received: 8

Average Position: 14th

Top 5 Placements: 1

Henri-Georges Clouzot’s Les Diaboliques is a French horror unlike any other. With an emphasis on paranoia, the film maximizes its small setting into a maze of uncertainty. For most of the runtime, Les Diaboliques keeps its terror submerged and hidden, and the ending’s shocking twist contributes to one of the scariest endings ever put on-screen. Clouzot’s film feels contemporary to its time, yet Les Diaboliques’ thrills and suspense have endured for generations thanks to its masterful tension.

Les Diaboliques has the highest average position so far at 14th. The lowest ranking was 24th, and having all placements be high significantly boosted its score. The number of submissions doubled from 2018’s 4 while the average position fell a mere 6 spots, keeping it as a passion pick. It had the third highest increase of any film from 2018 with the top two yet to appear.

05e7a40ed7e5ed5a875d30c9472be4ddc4db8c52

• Like 11
  • Astonished 1

59 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

In part, I hope this was because @Cap screened this awhile ago in her Projection Room, I think it was one of the earlier titles shown. 

This is seriously my favorite horror movie ever. And yeah, we did it last year in October!

• Like 2

23. Nosferatu (1922) (72 Points)

2YRmdenoqoAoik1gU9Jr1Uhs3hGySJgvXpNIEq-2

Previous Ranking: #33 (+10)

Director: F.W. Murnau

Screenwriter: Henrik Galeen

Starring: Max Schreck, Gustav von Wangenheim, Greta Schröder, Alexander Granach, Ruth Landshoff, Wolfgang Heinz

Synopsis: Vampire Count Orlok expresses interest in a new residence and real estate agent Hutter's wife.

Box Office: N/A

Critical Reviews: 97% on RT

Submissions Received: 11

Average Position: 34th

Top 10 Placements: 1

It’s a miracle that F.W. Murnau’s Nosferatu has survived after 99 years. An unauthorized adaptation of Dracula, all prints of Nosferatu were supposed to be destroyed for copyright infringement. Thankfully, some prints remained in circulation, and Nosferatu has remained a classic for almost a century. Despite being a silent film, Murnau gives Nosferatu vibrancy as the German Expressionist imagery brings life to the screen. Relying solely on the actors and set design, Nosferatu feels livelier than most horror films, and Murnau showcases how silent films maximized their technology years ago.

Nosferatu saw three more submissions but an average position 50% lower than it had in 2018. It is also one of the final black and white films on the countdown.

giphy.gif

• Like 11

22. Night of the Living Dead (1968) (74 Points)

HbmrljjC7JTFf6cjT5U3EeR5t1fYc04-txWKybks

Previous Ranking: #26 (+4)

Director: George A. Romero

Screenwriter: John Russo, George A. Romero

Starring: Duane Jones, Judith O'Dea, Marilyn Eastman, Karl Hardman, Judith Ridley, Keith Wayne

Synopsis: A ragtag group of Pennsylvanians barricade themselves in an old farmhouse to remain safe from a horde of flesh-eating ghouls that are ravaging the East Coast of the United States.

Box Office: 30M

Critical Reviews: 96% on RT

Submissions Received: 12

Average Position: 39th

Top 10 Placements: 2

George A. Romero pioneered New Hollywood horror and independent filmmaking with Night of the Living Dead. This timeless tale has become a reference point for zombies in pop culture with Romero’s worldbuilding on a small budget perfectly capturing what many think a zombie outbreak would look like. The black and white cinematography gives the film a grimier look and enhances the atmosphere on-screen. Simply put, Romero defined the zombie film with Night of the Living Dead.

Night of the Living Dead saw a small increase from the 2018 countdown with two more submissions. The average position dropped 15 points, giving it the lowest average  since The Conjuring at #35. Shockingly, it’s not the highest ranking zombie movie on the countdown. That title belongs to...

giphy.gif

• Like 11

21. Shaun of the Dead (2004) (74 Points)

OEmo5NvhDArKBH5hlu8wcnuV68cKZfBAvkH1X5Mx

Previous Ranking: #41 (+20)

Director: Edgar Wright

Screenwriter: Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright

Starring: Simon Pegg, Kate Ashfield, Lucy Davis, Nick Frost, Dylan Moran, Bill Nighy, Penelope Wilton

Synopsis: The uneventful, aimless lives of a London electronics salesman and his layabout roommate are disrupted by the zombie apocalypse.

Box Office: 30M

Critical Reviews: 92% on RT

Submissions Received: 12

Average Position: 36th

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

In a year where horror comedies saw massive drops from 2018, Edgar Wright’s Shaun of the Dead managed to have the highest increase of ANY film by jumping 20 spots. Wright’s debut feature plays off the standard zombie story by placing underachievers in a life-or-death situation. The director’s signature style radiates throughout Shaun of the Dead, using his standard comedic brand in often gruesome ways. Although Wright only just ventured back into the genre this past weekend with Last Night in Soho (to divisive responses…), Shaun of the Dead proves that his voice can be found throughout many genres.

Shaun of the Dead broke a tie with Night of the Living Dead by having a single Top 5 placement. Its average position is three spots higher than Night though, making it another popular mid-tier choice.

Kill-it-Shaun-of-the-Dead.gif

• Like 9
  • Disbelief 2

An American Werewolf in London is an absolute banger. Saw it as a teenager on video. Maybe seen it 6 times in total now. Feel bad I did not submit a list (nobody tagged me...). Have submitted a list for the Marty countdown and will do so for any future countdowns. I would have put this around 15 I think. Still holds up to this day. Effects were incredible for back then. Great work by WrathofHan.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20. Candyman (1992) (74.25 Points)

1T5rCfpnM7J6lwxcKvlC2BX4Ly2UbRaloGsIAuAE

Previous Ranking: #32 (+12)

Director and Screenwriter: Bernard Rose

Starring: Virginia Madsen, Tony Todd, Xander Berkeley, Kasi Lemmons

Synopsis: The Candyman, a murderous soul with a hook for a hand, is accidentally summoned to reality by a skeptic grad student researching the monster's myth.

Box Office: 25.8M

Critical Reviews: 77% on RT

Submissions Received: 11

Average Position: 24th

#1 Placements: 1

Top 5 Placements: 2

Bernard Rose’s Candyman saw a healthy increase from the 2018 countdown thanks in part to its recent sequel (which received… zero submissions). The story and ideas of Candyman are nearly thirty years old yet feel shockingly relevant in 2021. Tony Todd’s memorable performance as Candyman has been a favorite of genre fans, and it is great to see many discovering Rose’s original film for the first time.

Candyman is the first film in a while to receive a #1 placement, something that will be much more common going forward.

giphy.gif

• Like 11
  • Astonished 2

A look ahead at the teens:

2 films appeared in the Top 10 back in 2018. They retained their spots right next to each other as well.

3 films were in the teens back in 2018. One stayed flat while the other two decreased.

#19 is the final film to receive less than 10 submissions while also having the second highest increase from 2018.

Finally, here are the last films that missed the cut (#101 had 22 points and missed by two fewer submissions than #100; 102-08 had 21 points, and 109-117 had 20 points):

101. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

102. Evil Dead (2013)

103. Deep Red (1975)

104. Green Room (2016)

105. Cat People (1942)

106. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1978)

107. Vampyr (1932)

108. Misery (1990)

109. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)

110. Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter (1984)

111. Shadow of the Vampire (2002)

112. Re-Animator (1985)

113. Drag Me to Hell (2009)

114. City of the Living Dead (1980)

115. Videodrome (1983)

116. King Kong (1933)

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is the fourth and final film from 2018 that didn't make it this year, dropping from #44 to #109 (-63).

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I'm shocked that Videodrome didn't make the top 100. I really thought it'd be a shoo-in to make the upper half of the list. Equally surprised that Candyman placed so high. I'm very, very happy to see that The Innocents and Les Diaboliques placed so highly, and to whoever else voted for Vampyr, I salute you, such a genius film that deserves all the praise it gets and serves as one of the great textbook examples of atmosphere done absolutely right.

Sad to see Dr. Caligari fall of the list, though.

Would have loved to see Friday Final Chapter and Texas Chainsaw remake on the list.  Unfortunate they are forgotten films on this list.  Maybe next year.  I agree with you @Krissykins The Texas remake is incredible.  It also might have the best horror trailer of all time.  The Evil Dead remake is all kinds of gory and is a fun watch as well.  

City of the Living Dead is Fulci's best work imo and although it might not be considered one of the 100 best for this list, for me, it's one of the most effective horror films out there.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, baumer said:

Would have loved to see Friday Final Chapter and Texas Chainsaw remake on the list.  Unfortunate they are forgotten films on this list.  Maybe next year.  I agree with you @Krissykins The Texas remake is incredible.  It also might have the best horror trailer of all time.  The Evil Dead remake is all kinds of gory and is a fun watch as well.  

City of the Living Dead is Fulci's best work imo and although it might not be considered one of the 100 best for this list, for me, it's one of the most effective horror films out there.

Texas remake is one of the best remakes there is. They knocked it out the park.

• Like 1

Well here is some more interesting little trivia for you for the horror movie countdown thread.

The name Loomis has kind of been a staple in horror movies since Alfred Hitchcock directed psycho 1960. Sam Loomis was Marion's lover at the beginning of psycho.

Then of course probably the most famous Loomis was also named Sam Loomis, this time it was dr. Sam Loomis from Halloween. He of course was Michael Myers doctor and pursuer for more than half the Halloween films.

And then of course the most recent incarnation of a Loomis was when Kevin Williamson wrote the screenplay for scream and paid homage to Halloween in so many ways and one of them was the Billy Loomis character. That of course was Sydney's boyfriend who later became one of the killers.

I know there's been other films that have had minor characters named Loomis but the best of my recollection there more like b films or even Z-kind of horror films where the 6th camp counsellor is named Loomis or something LOL.

But it's fascinating to think that over sixty years ago the name Sam Loomis first appeared in a horror film and it's a name that is still going.

• Like 1