Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (10/22-24) | Dune 41M OW. French Dispatch 1.35M. Timothee can't be stopped!

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The Avatar fans didn't come back to gloat when Avatar reclaimed the biggest movie after the latest re-release?

Every time we mention that the title went between Avatar and Endgame I imagine Iger cleaning his tears with a big fat stack of money.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The Avatar fans didn't come back to gloat when Avatar reclaimed the biggest movie after the latest re-release?

Iron Jimbo would’ve if he was still with us…

I wasn't expecting Dune to crack even 25M in normal times, so this opening is a win in my book. Without HBO max, this would have done 55M+ 

WB really fucked up this year. Some of their biggest movies had potential, but they took it away with HBO max day & date nonsense. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I wasn't expecting Dune to crack even 25M in normal times, so this opening is a win in my book. Without HBO max, this would have done 55M+ 

WB really fucked up this year. Some of their biggest movies had potential, but they took it away with HBO max day & date nonsense. 

But the value the movie provided to HBO Max is greater than zero, and it helps set up the prequel series Dune: The Sisterhood, which HBO ordered 10 episodes of with Villeneuve directing the first episode. And that will hopefully help keep the franchise relevant while they're filming the sequel.

18 minutes ago, Felandria said:

A little surprising they have HK ahead of NTTD, Halloween had fallen behind by Wednesday.

Bond will have a lighter Friday increase but probably pull back ahead for the rest of the weekend.

370k Friday for French Dispatch?

Pretty good. He has loyal fanbase. Only 50 theaters, too. Tammy Faye was in 450 theaters and did 650k. Card Counter opened to 422k on Friday in 580 theaters.

It obviously will fall behind Budapest which opened to 260.4k Friday in 4 theaters but this has weaker reviews and pandemic