The Wild Eric

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

15 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Ehrlich seems like someone who was born a pretentious gasbag

Do we really need to attack people everytime they dislike a movie?

He gave 91/100 to Avatar 2 and Maverick, the 2 biggest grosses of 2022. How is that pretentious? Sometimes people just dislike things and it should be fine.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 9

I've complained about it before, but there's an inherent problem with RT as an aggregator in that it rewards middling, inoffensive films over stuff that gets absolute raves but just can't win over some people. Putting away the average score is such an awful thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, von Kenni said:

Can we anecdotally make any deductions that this might work better for female demos than Part 1? I.e. wider appeal for demos.

So many of the amazing reactions here are from women.

The self selected online young women certainty seem keyed in. I'm comfortable saying it'll do better with females overall than Part One, especially since they really are emphasizing Zendaya and Pugh so much in the publicity. IRL, only my girlfriend seems to have some keen interest but I'm mostly to blame for that :blush:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I've complained about it before, but there's an inherent problem with RT as an aggregator in that it rewards middling, inoffensive films over stuff that gets absolute raves but just can't win over some people. Putting away the average score is such an awful thing.

This is why I prefer Metacritic, even if it has its issues too. At least there they try for some kind of mathematical representation of a score. But RT is well known and MC is far less successful and referenced. 

• Like 2

There's some serious expectations management that I need to do before going to see this and the same for box office expectations.

I'll stick to my $500m+ WW and I smile, $550m+ and I'm excited, and $600m+ would just be gravy. Looks like the gravy train might be heading home, a big one, and I might very well be listening that Sardaukar soundtrack on repeat.

Ron Swanson Listening GIF

• Like 2

I see that Villanueva really upped the religious angle of the film. No secret that Herbert based a lot of the second half of Dune on the rise of Islam.

But yeah, as a Herbert fan I am stoked for this. Having a trully great film of Dune is particualry nice after two failures; sort like having a team that has been at the bottome of the standing for long time win a championship.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

I'll stick to my $500m+ WW and I smile, $550m+ and I'm excited, and $600m+ would just be gravy.

I can't imagine it making that little more over Part One. The demand for and appeal of Two seems so much higher and apparent, especially outside the American market. It's just hard to say how much more business it will do. A polarizing blockbuster can have its effect negatively but also those who feel strongly about it can be much stronger than before. We're already in a quite different market from 2021 when it comes to this franchise. But, I admit that concentrated fan excitement and critic excitement can feed off itself into delusion so, someone like myself could obviously be overconfident. 

27 minutes ago, ando said:

Girls and fashion heads went crazy for C-3P0 Zendaya today on social media. Delaying so that the cast could promote was certainly the right idea. 

It would have been a kind of commercial suicide not to do this. Yet when the delay from 2023 to 2024 was announced, there was so much gnashing of teeth among some fans you'd have thought evil Zaslav had killed the film. And some people actually said so. 

Don't get me wrong, I have no love for the dude, but the strikes necessitated that action and it helped clear the way for BARBIE to rep the studio's best awards chances too. So I didn't get upset in the least, even though I hate to wait just as much as the next wannabe Fremen. 

Overseas is going to expand significantly. There are enough signs already about that. I think Oppenheimer comps should work well in some markets for sure. I dont think its going to beat Oppeneheimer in most of Asia for sure. UK as well wont be easy considering how much Oppenheimer did. But it can do relatively well in many markets of Europe and I am hoping Japan also does well which Oppenheimer has not had so far. I am expecting around 450m OS at this point. Domestic I cant see it go below 200m at this point. Its peak potential let us see close to release. I am hoping for 300m Domestic 🙂 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, von Kenni said:

Can we anecdotally make any deductions that this might work better for female demos than Part 1? I.e. wider appeal for demos.

So many of the amazing reactions here are from women.

Well, there's definitely much more appeal with the additions of Florence and Anya (not spoiler anymore right, considering she was on the red carpet?), beefed up roles for Zendaya and Rebecca, and internet crushes like Timothee and Butler in leading roles

Without context, this cast seems right out of a female-targeted YA dystopia film

• Like 2