The Wild Eric

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Nah, that would be too good to be true. We know the Oscars. In the end, Green Book i mean Hurt Locker i mean The Zone of Interest will somehow win.

I wouldn't mind a surprise win for The Holdovers or American Fiction.

Is there any doubt that Oppenheimer will win the Oscar for Best Picture and Director? It's one of the biggest shoe-ins in the last few years. 

Edited by Merkel
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Oppenheimer will most likely win, unless The Zone of Interest pulls off a surprise. Spielberg is really rooting for that one. He named it best Holocaust movie after his own Schindler's List

I would've said Holocaust movies are played out but man anti-semitism is like the zombie that keeps making a comeback whenever you think its just about dead.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

Do their scores correlate well with awards? Has anyone actually tried to analyze that? 

Many Oscar site did. Generally Picture winners have 80 and over MC, Green Book and CODA being exceptions with 69 and 72 respectively. The site is more respected cause their metrics are different from RT and it doesn't accept YTuber type of reviewers and funko reviewers that has been the staple of franchise reviews.

16 minutes ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

Can you elaborate on this please? Not a leading question. I know about OPPENHEIMER and even read most of the book but still haven't seen it. 

I can't speak for him but Oscars usually go for a different type of winner next time so if  Oppenheimer (historical drama) won now than sci fi winner would be the opposite of that next year. Nomadland (heavy drama) followed by CODA (Lifetime quality uplifting movie) followed by EEAAO (wacky arthouse multiverse sci fi fantasy) followed by Oppenheimer? (historical drama) followed by Dune 2? (hard sci fi). You get the idea.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

If Oppenheimer wins, Dune 2 has just as likely a chance.

Oppy is a war era film those are almost guaranteed an Oscar. Sci Fi is nearly impossible for Best Picture. Even though people on here  said Shape of Water, it’s not actually classified as a Sci-fi film, it’s a Fastasy/Romance. 

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I would've said Holocaust movies are played out but man anti-semitism is like the zombie that keeps making a comeback whenever you think its just about dead.

Most depressing thing I've read in here all day because... yeah.

5 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Zone of Intrest was boring as shit. 

What bores people is highly subjective. 

You need look no further for an example than this thread. DUNE PART ONE often gets called that, yet you can put it in front of people who know nothing about it and they'll surprise you with how riveted they become. And if that wasn't so, it would have been a commercial bust like many feared. 

2 minutes ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

What bores people is highly subjective. 

You need look no further for an example than this thread. DUNE PART ONE often gets called that, yet you can put it in front of people who know nothing about it and they'll surprise you with how riveted they become. And if that wasn't so, it would have been a commercial bust like many feared. 

I can't watch Dune without getting sleepy. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

The 2000s was the last relevant decade the Oscars had with Gladiator, LOTR, Departed, and No Country For Old Men.  Nothing of note has won since.  Nobody cares about the Oscars anymore except cinephiles and some twitter personalities.  DUNE 2 isn't winning, not depressing enough, same with Oppenheimer.

Lol at people still believe Oscar has little relevancy. Maybe in US, but in overseas, Oscar impact only grow. 

40 minutes ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

Can you elaborate on this please? Not a leading question. I know about OPPENHEIMER and even read most of the book but still haven't seen it. 

Referring to the Oscars. There are a lot of barriers that Oppenheimer would need to cross to win. So if it does, Dune 2 can cross those as well.

21 minutes ago, joselowe said:

Oppy is a war era film those are almost guaranteed an Oscar. Sci Fi is nearly impossible for Best Picture. Even though people on here  said Shape of Water, it’s not actually classified as a Sci-fi film, it’s a Fastasy/Romance. 

Oppenheimer is also a huge blockbuster, which have rarely ever won best picture. Directed by a man who has never won.

1 minute ago, ChipDerby said:

Referring to the Oscars. There are a lot of barriers that Oppenheimer would need to cross to win. So if it does, Dune 2 can cross those as well.

I guess we're playing 20 questions? What barriers? Most awards seasons have pro and con arguments for most films under consideration. 

48 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

If Oppenheimer wins, Dune 2 has just as likely a chance.

But Oppenheimer is essentially a historical-based biopic. It is one of the most Oscar-friendly genre. Oppenheimer and Dune has different level of barrier to begin with. Oppenheimer wining isn't foretelling Dune 2 chances.  Not to mention Dune 2 isn't a finale yet. 

The fact that the two times Nolan got director nomination was for historical movie, pretty revealing the advantage of this genre has with Academy members. 

• Like 2