The Wild Eric

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

39 minutes ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

I can't imagine it making that little more over Part One. The demand for and appeal of Two seems so much higher and apparent, especially outside the American market. It's just hard to say how much more business it will do. A polarizing blockbuster can have its effect negatively but also those who feel strongly about it can be much stronger than before. We're already in a quite different market from 2021 when it comes to this franchise. But, I admit that concentrated fan excitement and critic excitement can feed off itself into delusion so, someone like myself could obviously be overconfident. 

22 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Overseas is going to expand significantly. There are enough signs already about that. I think Oppenheimer comps should work well in some markets for sure. I dont think its going to beat Oppeneheimer in most of Asia for sure. UK as well wont be easy considering how much Oppenheimer did. But it can do relatively well in many markets of Europe and I am hoping Japan also does well which Oppenheimer has not had so far. I am expecting around 450m OS at this point. Domestic I cant see it go below 200m at this point. Its peak potential let us see close to release. I am hoping for 300m Domestic 🙂 

Yeah, I'm intentionally downplaying and setting myself for overexpectations. Keysersoze is more like the real expectations but secretly I'm hoping that the storm that is forming will be a perfect storm and we would be talking about B ...and I'm not talking about cinemascore here. Now I said too much. I don't want to jinx it.

Parks And Recreation Godspeed GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hysterical pre-review reactions seem par for the course now but despite that I can see how the first, as absorbing as it was, left headroom for improvement. The move to March now seems fortuitous - people haven’t had a big cinema experience for a while. 

Looking good. :)

I'm between two places, excitement about the film and trepidation whether box office will see a signifficant uptick. I want Dune 2 to be a clear sign to the studio and Villeneuve to move forward with Dune 3 ASAP. ;)

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Looking good. :)

I'm between two places, excitement about the film and trepidation whether box office will see a signifficant uptick. I want Dune 2 to be a clear sign to the studio and Villeneuve to do Dune 3 ASAP. ;)

I'm totally unworried about the BO. With a budget similiar to Part 1 it'd need around 450m, and I can't see it doing less than that.

13 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Half of these fits are fucking terrible lol

They are not terrible, it is just otherworldly or unconventional, just like world set in the movie. Most importantly, their weird outfits attract gen-Z attention and meme worthy. Something you can’t achieve if dune was released during strike. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

I'm totally unworried about the BO. With a budget similiar to Part 1 it'd need around 450m, and I can't see it doing less than that.

Studios are not making blockbusters to barely break even. First Dune still had to deal with the Covid aftermath, pretty sure WB is looking for signifficant growth here. And i'm sure it would also be a little motivational for the director to see his film being enjoyed by a lot of people.

6 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Studios are not making blockbusters to barely break even. First Dune still had to deal with the Covid aftermath, pretty sure WB is looking for signifficant growth here. And i'm sure it would also be a little motivational for the director to see his film being enjoyed by a lot of people.

Dune is not Transformers, outside of breaking even+ it's also an Oscar player, and brings WB prestige and attention.

Messiah should also cost less than Dune.

37 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Dune is not Transformers, outside of breaking even+ it's also an Oscar player, and brings WB prestige and attention.

Messiah should also cost less than Dune.

Sure, prestige helps and i'm not saying it must do a billion.

As for budgets, sequels costing less is not a thing that usually happens. Seeing that we don't get official figures it's a pretty moot point.

EDIT:

All i'm saying is i want there to be zero doubts about Dune 3 happening and as little studio meddling or constraints as possible.

Edited by Elessar

The extremely positive reactions leave me even more confused as to where this will end up box-office wise. Hyperbolic takes comparing this to Dark Knight, Two Towers, ESB should surely indicate a huge breakout... But I'm still haunted by MI7. Dune is capital H Hard Sci Fi and it feels like there's a natural ceiling for this. 

US - should see a very healthy increase based on HBO Max non-factor. Thinking $75m OW / $200m total (Logan-ish numbers)

UK/France/Germany/Spain/Italy - feels primed for a breakout in the big European markets. Villeneuve's sensibility is very Eurocentric - spectacle but *artistic*. And all these European premieres will help. UK - $45m / France - $40m / Germany - $35m / Spain - $20m / Italy -$20m

China - no idea... Any word on tracking? $40m as per Part One?

S Korea - $25m?

Australia - $20m?

WW total Dom+Intl - $630m

• Like 3

All in all I gotta say, one of the absolute strongest social embargo drops I've ever seen. Maybe even the strongest with the amount of masterpiece/magnum opus/one of the best sci-fi films ever made being thrown around.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Lucas said:

All in all I gotta say, one of the absolute strongest social embargo drops I've ever seen. Maybe even the strongest with the amount of masterpiece/magnum opus/one of the best sci-fi films ever made being thrown around.

Yes, although I've seen similarly praised movies before, I couldn't remember one firing on all cylinders from being epic, action-packed, thematically resonant, emotionally riveting and like 10+ more aspects. Most will fail to deliver on some fronts (story/action/acting/...) but like some critics say, this one is as close to a perfect movie as possible?

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Agreed, more than an extremely high rt score (expecting high 80s/low 90s) I'm thinking *very* high average score, sounds like there's a lot of people ready to throw 90-100 at the film.

Edited by JustLurking

1 hour ago, Warmaster506 said:

The Marvel's would have been chip and shattered by this film. 

This was originally set to be out a week before that, right? Makes one wonder how much worse The Marvels would've performed. It already had trouble barely crossing the $200M mark worldwide even with being the sole action tentpole of its month.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Z-3PO? 💪

Thought it would have passed by now but she is still trending #10 worldwide now with 157k tweets. Yeah, this really hit with the younger crowds online. Nothing but good buzz for the film. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This was originally set to be out a week before that, right? Makes one wonder how much worse The Marvels would've performed. It already had trouble barely crossing the $200M mark worldwide even with being the sole action tentpole of its month.

Marvel's barely squeaks by 150 million if Dune never moved. 

12 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Marvel's barely squeaks by 150 million if Dune never moved. 

Granted Marvels still opened with 46M, which is not that far off from Dune industry tracking of 65M only recently. Now I believe Dune will open bigger, maybe much bigger, but if it keeps the November date, both movies would have been hurt.

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

The last guy is joking. Unless Denis is very much into Darude.