The Wild Eric

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

Hard to see anything other than significant upticks in every market. 

We could very well be underplaying the potential for this. 

Part of me is feeling like this is a Dark Knight from Batman Begins kind of jump that’s coming. The first one was an event, dampened for obvious reasons. This one - there’s no holding it back.  It’s going to hit, and I think hit hard at the box office. A statement is coming. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Hard to see anything other than significant upticks in every market. 

We could very well be underplaying the potential for this. 

Part of me is feeling like this is a Dark Knight from Batman Begins kind of jump that’s coming. The first one was an event, dampened for obvious reasons. This one - there’s no holding it back.  It’s going to hit, and I think hit hard at the box office. A statement is coming. 

I am actually still doubtful about the uptick especially in Asia market except S. Korea. The first one simply didn't set a fire here in Asia and there certainly isn't appreciation of the first movie 3 years after. The buzz is lagging and lacking here. When they play Dune 2 trailer in the cinema, the crowd is actually surprised by the fact that this is a sequel. 

Guys, you know that I'm bullish on acting noms for this so based on reactions from critics (not fans I want to keep this strictly awards-releveant), do you think that some cast members are getting that kind of buzz and if yes how would you rank them? From what I've seen it seems Butler and Chalamet, than Zendaya, than Pugh and Ferguson. 

30 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Guys, you know that I'm bullish on acting noms for this so based on reactions from critics (not fans I want to keep this strictly awards-releveant), do you think that some cast members are getting that kind of buzz and if yes how would you rank them? From what I've seen it seems Butler and Chalamet, than Zendaya, than Pugh and Ferguson. 

Agree that Butler and Chalamet are most likely, followed by Zendaya, then Ferguson. 

I think it’s pretty unlikely for Pugh

Can't really tell without watching the film but Ferguson would be the most likely to get a nom if it's very loyal to the source material. Jessica is the stealth main character of the first book, manipulating a whole planet to believe her son is their Jesus.

Edited by Spidey Freak

42 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Can't really tell without watching the film but Ferguson would be the most likely to get a nom if it's very loyal to the source material. Jessica is the stealth main character of the first book, manipulating a whole planet to believe her son is their Jesus.

Not really. Book spoilers

She discovers that Bene Geserit planted such prophecy and that Fremen believe it no matter what she and Paul do or don't. Remember that at the time she broke up with BG cause she gave birth to Paul instead of a daughter. So since their survival depends on Fremen protection she plays along - takes spice agony trial without excusing herself with pregnancy which in return screws up Alia for life - becomes their Reverend Mother but Fremen belief is too deep to be either deepen or stopped because the prophecy was planted generations ago. She even begs Paul to give up Mahdi cosplay and just settle down with Chani and their son and have a quiet life. But by that point Paul who saw the future knew that it was impossible to change the course. The whole point of jessica's character is that she isn't a schemer like BG which is why events in Dune happened.

Edited by Valonqar

8 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

They are not terrible, it is just otherworldly or unconventional, just like world set in the movie. Most importantly, their weird outfits attract gen-Z attention and meme worthy. Something you can’t achieve if dune was released during strike. 

I think I already said none of them except one are unconventional or otherworldly. The entire conversation has only been about Zendaya's fit, which was the only unconventional one there. No one is talking about Timothee's fit (easily the worst one here) or Anya's or Florence's lol

Edited by lorddemaxus

16 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I know people are high on early reactions, but then you read Tweets like this one and realize there 100% is a natural ceiling for this film. 

Even A NEW HOPE and THE GODFATHER have their dissenters. With DUNE, it's a testament to Villeneuve's talent that he can make a property which effectively has been stripmined of its ideas feel relevant again. We may be able to see just how relevant soon, if some of the praise is to be believed. Watch the memes spring forth like desert flora ;)

19 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I know people are high on early reactions, but then you read Tweets like this one and realize there 100% is a natural ceiling for this film. 

I mean as long as this delivers on the spectacle, action. and visuals (a la Avatar), audiences aren't gonna care much.

Reminder that Oppenheimer is a 3 hrs long talky that made 957M WW. That's more than Multiverse of Madness and beofre anyone brings up China or lack thereof, MoM wasn't 3 hrs long and Oppenheimer wasn't cross-promoted with NWH or part of the biggest franchise in the world. 

So Dune's running time won't be a problem. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Dune's running time isn't even very long. I was sharing the tweet because of the John Carter comparison.

...did you even read it? That's basically saying that because those books are so influential and have inspired so many stories, those plot beats are no longer as novel. It's not even really a comparison with the John Carter film.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

...did you even read it? That's basically saying that because those books are so influential and have inspired so many stories, those plot beats are no longer as novel. It's not even a comparison with the John Carter film.

Umm the same thing is said about John Carter. The book influenced many past movies so by the time it got released it didn't feel fresh

Edited by Maggie

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

Umm the same thing is said about John Carter. The book influenced many past movies so by the time it got released it didn't feel fresh

Exactly? Why the hell would that "put a cap" on the film? The reason John Carter failed wasn't because its plot beats had been done elsewhere, it was just because it was not a good film.